What's new

Pillars of Hercules, double silver and old padlock

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2009
Messages
2,478
Reaction score
1,966
Golden Thread
2
Location
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well finally made it out this month for a full days hunt…We decided to a few new spots along with a couple of old ones.. One spot we took a small boat to an island with that produced a lot of junk but managed to retrieve a 1931 10 cent and a couple of musket balls, coming back from the island, it was a very low tide and we actually had to get out and drag the boat out, then it started to down pour and if that wasn't it enough 2 Rottweiler's met us on shore and wouldn't let us land the boat. Well lets just say thank god I had my shovel with me and those dogs shouldn't bother anyone for some time.
The finds were scare but managed a couple new to me finds…. Went to a field we hit in the past and "again" like many other times I decided to try the edge of the field saying to myself, "I wonder if" sure enough not 5 minutes later I pull out a 1874 dime, my second of the year. Other finds include toasty coins with at least and ID, a Geo II, french coin, agricultural coin and 2 toasty large cents. The old padlock was a first for me, only found newer ones…Also a very neat item was this piece of pewter with the what looked like it was going to be passed as a 8 Reale coin, you can see the pillars of hercules etc…Any input on this one?
Other finds are the usual musket balls, buckles and buttons with a huge thick one….
 

Attachments

  • Group 2015-07-26.webp
    Group 2015-07-26.webp
    12.8 KB · Views: 370
  • Pillar2.webp
    Pillar2.webp
    27.5 KB · Views: 201
  • Vick1.webp
    Vick1.webp
    14.2 KB · Views: 180
  • Vick2.webp
    Vick2.webp
    20.5 KB · Views: 182
  • Lock.webp
    Lock.webp
    6.7 KB · Views: 181
  • LC 1859.webp
    LC 1859.webp
    12.6 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Upvote 20
Quite a day fro many reasons. Probably is a counterfeit 8 reales. You should measure from pillar to pillar, bet it will be very close to what the coin is. The Cladman found a pewter one here many years ago.
 
Nice finds, esp the counterfeit but I feel bad reading that the dogs may have been hurt. ???
 
Very cool finds :icon_thumleft:
 
Nice finds, esp the counterfeit but I feel bad reading that the dogs may have been hurt. ???
No dogs were physically hurt..just emotionally
 
Quite a day fro many reasons. Probably is a counterfeit 8 reales. You should measure from pillar to pillar, bet it will be very close to what the coin is. The Cladman found a pewter one here many years ago.

It measures 20mm from pillar to pillar...and from edge to edge of whats left is 39mm
 

Attachments

  • 1438031070394-757132054.webp
    1438031070394-757132054.webp
    157.2 KB · Views: 97
If anything, it's the crest and crown side of the coin, not the Pillars and Waves side.
Can you post a pic of the other side?
Don.....
Yes it is the pillars/crown/crest side…adding other pic to compare… Never said it was a good counterfeit lol...
Didn't see anything on reverse at first...but now looking at it in the daylight I see a bust..but it's facing left...shouldn't it be facing right???
 

Attachments

  • Unknown.webp
    Unknown.webp
    13 KB · Views: 166
  • Pillar2.webp
    Pillar2.webp
    27.5 KB · Views: 168
  • 14380319817811584007459.webp
    14380319817811584007459.webp
    6.3 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Well you got a nice little haul of goodies! Wish I could have met up with you guys for a few hours, but I'm sure we'll have a good fall once again!
 
Great hunts there. I really like the very old Victoria dime.
 
HEY MR PATRIOT I SEE YOU HAVE BEEN OUT TODAY GOT SOME NICE FINDS TO BE DISPLAYED , BUTTON , BUCKLES AND PADLOCK TO BOOT NOT A BAD DAYS FINDS WITH ALL THIS LOOT.
 
That's an awesome find...very cool!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom