Pin Pointers

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Frank, If the cost is such an issue then why is there not an early model Bounty hunter type detector parked in place of that XLT? It would get you within a distance where you could take the HF and get it down to one inch after a fashion. Putting the actual device in your own hands and using it is the point of true comparison.

Sally, I am sorry that your thread got hi jacked by such a strong minded limited experience equipment user. I hope that you will still find at least some good and usable information here anyway.

Bowwinkles I think it is you that has missed the point. The HF can detects a dime at 1" and cost $16. The Garrett can detects a dime at 1" and cost $160. That's the point! Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not believe that several of the res ponders have missed the point. I do think that I may have a solution that would make you a happy camper being the parsimonious type individual that you are. Maybe take that XLT of yours and put it up for sale. I am thinking that due to its limited use you could probably get a couple hundred dollars for it. Then take just $50 of that money and hop in the car and head for Harbor Freight and purchase one of their top of the line 9 function metal detectors (it is on sale now). And yes, it also qualifies for the 20% discount which will give you enough money to stop back by Radio Shack to pick up another blue light because the 9 function can also be modified. This would leave you about $150 to stuff under the mattress. The 9 function will detect as deep as your XLT and you will have that nice little cash savings. You will probably be the envy of the park and from a distance it might appear that you are welding with all those blue lights going off and the big smile on your face because of this big saving. The only problem with this approach to your deli ma is that because of the big lumps under the mattress you will probably start to loose sleep and have even a more of a negative attitude.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cost is always a factor but not always the best way to determine value. I've received "free" pin pointers with detector purchases but they sit in the closet unused because they are just too big or ergonomically challenged. One I do use, is one I received free over 22 years ago......a TinyTec. It has a sensitivity adjustment and I can even dig with it if the ground isn't too hard. It has a nice pointy end so I can poke it into the ground to locate an elusive target. It's never given me one problem.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come on people, let's play nice. If you don't like someone's opinion, just ignore it. As the saying goes......."Opinions are like a$$holes, everybody has one"

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bowwinkles, Now you are attacking my XLT which shows you don't know what you are talking about. I noticed you don't even list yours. I also notice you spend your time looking at HF and radio shack detectors.
There's an old saying in the practice of law. If you don't have a good case, argue with the judge. Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Cudamark, You are the second person that has mentioned the TINY Tec. Do they still make them? Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard they went out of business a few years ago but I haven't actually tried to get in touch with them so don't know for sure. They were out of Vestal, New York.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cudamark, The availability of a replacement Tiny tec pointer is what started me on my search for a another brand that would have some of the same features like the narrow pointed probe and tip up "off" feature. My Tiny tec had that nice long tough probe end and very good depth plus a degree of durability that allowed it to last several years. The current crop of pointers that have the nice narrow pointed probe ends are just not durable enough to last very long and the depth is lacking. The other blunt end pointers that have the great proximity alert all have that blunt end. The next feature that I had to use to make my choice was the durability facts which guided me to the Minelab which has lasted without failure. The RS also has held up well without failure. The recent stock of Garrett pointers seem to have a little higher rate of failure than the early units. It would be great if some manufacture would again produce the Tiny tec and add the proximity alert, because that combination would be very hard to beat.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Cudamark, The availability of a replacement Tiny tec pointer is what started me on my search for a another brand that would have some of the same features like the narrow pointed probe and tip up "off" feature. My Tiny tec had that nice long tough probe end and very good depth plus a degree of durability that allowed it to last several years. The current crop of pointers that have the nice narrow pointed probe ends are just not durable enough to last very long and the depth is lacking. The other blunt end pointers that have the great proximity alert all have that blunt end. The next feature that I had to use to make my choice was the durability facts which guided me to the Minelab which has lasted without failure. The RS also has held up well without failure. The recent stock of Garrett pointers seem to have a little higher rate of failure than the early units. It would be great if some manufacture would again produce the Tiny tec and add the proximity alert, because that combination would be very hard to beat.

Bowwinkles, The Vibra probe has the tip up off feature and the varible tone alert that you like and it is waterproof and tough. Frank

View attachment 730437

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Vibra probe in my inventory and the dislikes are probe end is blunt and large in diameter, vibration only alert, and much to large (police baton sized)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tinytec and Vibraprobe are a bit different than each other in the way the shut off switch works. The Tt has what I believe is a mercury switch to put it into a standby mode. Once you turn the unit on, it stays on. You point the tip up and it becomes inactive. The unit is still on but when you point it toward the ground, it comes alive again. The Vp has to be pointed up to turn it on or turn it off but if you don't use it for minute or so, it turns itself off. That's a slight annoyance since you then have to turn it back on each time you use it unless you're making rapid recoveries! I would like to see a nice slim, pointy end also. It would make it much easier to poke into the wet sand. If the sand is light fluffy coral based sand, there isn't much of a problem but our sand here in SoCal is sandstone based and fairly hard packed. All it would really take is a redesigned plastic tip. Maybe someone (hint, hint) will come up with an add-on point that can be fitted to the factory end.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
just my 2 cents -- since I'm poor ole lady, been using Harbor Freight cheapo pinpointer with much happy success. My son easily & cheaply replaced the switch when it broke, so right away it was good to go again! The HF has helped me hone in on silver rings and modern coins. But if I hit gold in the future, will spend it on the top-quality pinpointers you guys recommend! Andi

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$127 is well worth the price for the Garrett I can't say about the others but all I have ever heard is the Harbor Frieght is only worth the $12 to $20 you pay for it.

Just the aggravation of having your pointer go bad while out hunting isn't worth the trouble for a cheap one. On the Garrett you must keep the speaker clean, if it gets muddy wait until it dries before cleaning it. I suck it out with a vaccum cleaner and then blow it out as well. If you use head phones you will think the signal is weak but it isn't once you take them off.

dimedigger

Jan 25, 2013
waccamaw
Detector(s) used
BH pioneer ex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
since i already knew about the switch problem in the harbour freight before buying it i just cut a piece of sandwich bag (thin one not ziplock) and put over the switch and used electrical tape to seal around the plastic. the dirt from your fingers is what gets in the switch and destroys it. do this first and switch will not go out

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of the reasons I chose the Garrett GTI-1500 was that it has a pinpointer built in. It puts the find in a two inch circle every time. So I am asking. Why do I also need a pinpointer? I don't want to carry the extra piece of equipment. It is an honest question. Why a pinpointer?

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Griz, When I have a single target then the detector will get me on the spot and if the detector gives the correct depth it will narrow the amount of area that must be searched. A dirt colored coin can be in a handful of soil and still be very elusive. Complicate the search with a piece of trash or more than one coin then the search area becomes much larger. The answer to your question do you really need one that answer is no. The ease of detecting with a good pointer is to me much more enjoyable and smoother and faster if a pointer is part of my field inventory. Example of its benefit was apparent yesterday when I had a weak signal and the small plug seemed to be empty at first glance. My pointer told me different and after very close examination a small diamond stud earning was discovered. I nearly missed that find as being trash dirt colored trash.

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I prefer to use a coat hanger wired to a car battery, wrapped in electrical tape, rigged to an old ipod. Works great, just gets a little "shocky" in wet weather.

Just kidding, I use and love the PP. :-P

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions