Pinellas Co. Fla. Detecting Help Please

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello
My brother just retired and he has been around Pinellas Co. and more of the Honeymoon Island area.
I told him he should take his metal detector the next time down....then he said he would ask the toll keeper at the bridge if its allowed Legal...i told him not to ask a public so called official anything of the sort.
So I`m asking for help around there as to where you can and can`t metal detect,or a link to the county rules
He will not go into the water or wet sand as i told him his old Garrett GTA 1000 will not like even the wet salt sand,so dry sand...parks anywhere ?
Any help from some of the local hunters would be much appreciated .
Thank You
Gary

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Plenty of detecting on Clearwater Beach dry sand areas. Tree lawns where the parking meters are in downtown Clearwater offers coins all the time and reseeded every week by careless parkers. Tree lawns are city owned between the sidewalks and the street. I've hunted many over the years and always find coins even some silver. Check old residential tree lawn areas especially around old trees where children sometimes cached their allowance in days of old.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
You are allowed to hunt in Honeymoon Island Park on the beaches between the water line and the dunes.

Dooley73, curious how you know this ? Is there an express specific "metal detecting allowed here" sign or rule somewhere ?

Or did you ask someone in authority, who said : "Sure, go ahead" ? If so, did you be sure to mention you'd be "digging"? and "taking valuables away" ? Did you mention "holes" , "cultural heritage", "buried utility lines", etc... ? (Lest they not understand the full implications of your question).

Or are you saying it's ok because it's simply always ever been detected, and no one's ever had a problem ? If so, how do you know all those people, for all those years, simply have been "lucky" that no one's been caught ?

:laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom don't start that up....

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gap... There are many locations to hunt throughout Pinellas County...
With this said I will also point out... There are many more that are off limits to detecting.
There are also many parks where detecting is allowed but only in certain areas of those parks...
First know that ALL National lands are off limits.
And they strictly enforce it.
Rule #1 in MDing for me is ... IF in doubt .. Find out.
Do not rely on "someone said".
Many times when arriving to a spot you can find a cop... ask em what the deal is... or if planning on hunting a park.. find a park ranger before detecting and ask ONLY them.
Don't ask some guy detecting for he may be detecting without permission.
Areas where there are "burial mounds" and such are definitely a no no.
Some parks have designated "areas" they allow and do not allow detecting... and some even have TIMES in which you can and cannot detect.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
... Do not rely on "someone said"....

Then I wonder why we md'rs tend to float the question on forums, for long-time locals in that location to chime in on ? Wouldn't that just be what "someone said" ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread