PIPSICO...4th Hunt: Date: 24-27 October 2008 (Fri-Mon)

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
Hello to all on the forum here. I was referred here by "Narthoniel", as he was telling a few of us at the club about the upcoming hunt. I'd like to add my name to the list if there's still plenty of space available, and assuming my wife doesn't have to work, hers as well. I read the whole topic and it sounds like one heck of an experience, and I can't wait to join in. I'm particularly interested in the possibility of a bottle dump if it's an oldy, I just got introduced to that wonderful world by a friend. Not sure what else to say, except that I look forward to the possibility of meeting more people in the finest sport I've found so far!

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in. Camping Friday/Saturday/Sunday with a late sunday afternoon departure. See you all there. Now the days will crawl by until then.

Ed D.

Born2Dtect

newbob

Jan 29, 2007
richmond,va
:angry4: :cussing: As much as i was looking forward to next weekend My job change my mind for me. Working for the power company will do that. Have to keep those lights burning and make the public happy. :happy11: If something changes i will be there but if not I hope you all have good weather and fun and safe hunt.

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
newbob said:
:angry4: :cussing: As much as i was looking forward to next weekend My job change my mind for me. Working for the power company will do that. Have to keep those lights burning and make the public happy. :happy11: If something changes i will be there but if not I hope you all have good weather and fun and safe hunt.

Heck, just tell them we, the public, don't want power for the weekend, except at the OA Shelter at Kiwanis! I hope things change and you can still make it! Will keep positive thoughts!!

EX2user

Sep 4, 2007
Norfolk,Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explore 11
It's time to get excited !!! Ten day outlook - partly cloudy friday to sunday.
Friday Low 47 high 69.
Sat. Low 47 high 68
Sun Low 52 high 72 .

I smell some relics and silver in the air !!!!!!!

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
EX2user said:
It's time to get excited !!! Ten day outlook - partly cloudy friday to sunday.
Friday Low 47 high 69.
Sat. Low 47 high 68
Sun Low 52 high 72 .

I smell some relics and silver in the air !!!!!!!

That's some GREAT SLEEPING WEATHER!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH BABY!!!

OMG...you can smell it too? I thought I was just imagining it! LOL!!! ;D :D

I'm watchin' the weather too....I hope it rains good before we get up there...I will say though, the last two weekends hubby and I were up there...ground was pretty darn soft ... so the digging should be good!

This time next week, we will most likely be sitting down for some vittles under the OA Shelter with a roaring fire going that DCMatt will so masterly set in the fireplace and showing our finds for the day and waiting for the others to arrive (hopefully Kiros will get there earlier than last hunt so he can enjoy some of Friday!!!). We will have a few who will be there just for the day during Friday, but they will be back on Saturday, cause they live in the area!!! I could drive home too, but that's 1.5 hours one way and I'm too lazy to do all that driving ... LOL!!!

I am putting my binder together with all my notes, will bring my laptop, and camera. OH, I have to remember to get external speakers....I'll bring some DVD's incase anyone wants to watch a movie....Huckleberry Hound or Yogi Bear? ;D ;D

I started gathering items to bring next week and this weekend, Ron and I will get everything together...so come Friday morning, it's dropping the kids off at school, loading up the truck and HEAD 'EM UP....MOVE 'EM OUT...RAWHIDE!!!

The boys will spend their weekend with Grandma :icon_queen:, she's happy about it! :thumbsup:, they are in somewhat of a protest :protest:, as they rather stay at the house to play on the computer :'(, but that weekend will be good for them to read the new books they just received from the book fair :icon_study:!!!

So until next weekend........Here's to you :coffee2: .... oops...let's try that again...HERE'S TO YOU :occasion14:

I'm so excited :blob10: :blob3: :blob5: :blob6: :blob7: :blob9: :blob8:

See you then,
Annmarie

EX2user

Sep 4, 2007
Norfolk,Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explore 11
Glad to see your sooooo excited :icon_sunny:
While I am thinking about it . Last hunt you said that you knew where to get some dry ice. Since it is going to be a little warm , could you let me know where I could get some.

Thanks

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
EX2user said:
Glad to see your sooooo excited :icon_sunny:
While I am thinking about it . Last hunt you said that you knew where to get some dry ice. Since it is going to be a little warm , could you let me know where I could get some.

Thanks

You can get some from Kroger's...they sell it by the pound.

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
This is the weekend that was originally set for the hunt...thank goodness it was changed...rain all weekend :'(

BUT...that is good....will keep the ground soft at Pipsico.

Here's a link for the weather forecast in Spring Grove, Virginia 23881: http://www.accuweather.com/us/va/sp...tner=accuweather&traveler=1&zipChg=1&metric=0

Looks like we will have some nice weather, atleast for now, it looks that way. It appears we may have some rain on Sat night and that is fine...I don't mind it when I am sleeping LOL

Appears the temps will be in the upper 60's, poss low 70's during the day and around the 40's and 50's at night. That is some good sleeping weather. So, it appears we will have some nice weather for our hunt...YEAH BABY!!!

Keep your eyes on the forecast and bring clothes and gear according to the weather! I'm gonna' bring an extra blanket, just incase I get just a tad bit cold at night LOL....

So, maybe it was a GOOD thing our weekend got pushed back a week...someone was looking out for us...let's keep our fingers crossed that the weather stays as forecasted!

See ya'll in 6 days!!!
Annmarie

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I INTERUPT FOR THIS SPECIAL URGENT REMINDER....​

When we were going on our first hunt, Ranger Dan mentioned that he knew of 2 CLASS RINGS that were lost at Pipsico in the Camp Lions area. When folks found out about our metal detecting, they mentioned to Ranger Dan about their rings, which have been lost many years.

If anyone locates any CLASS RINGS................PLEASE TURN IT IN!!! I was going through some old notes and found this and wanted to keep everyone abreast of this. It would be so cool to return a CLASS RING to a SCOUT!!! Ranger Dan said one was lost near or on CARDIAC HILL!!! The other person does not know where on the reservation he lost his ring, but is pretty sure that was also lost on Camp Lions area.

Ok....we now return you back to what ever you were doing.... :thumbsup:

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will hopefully start my journey from Pittsburgh at around 8 am on Friday morning, which should put me there around 3 pm, so that should leave a few hours of good digging.

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Kiros32 said:
I will hopefully start my journey from Pittsburgh at around 8 am on Friday morning, which should put me there around 3 pm, so that should leave a few hours of good digging.

If noone is at the camp....I will leave a note on where you can find us! Looking forward to seeing you again. Oh BTW, I am so very mad!!! I got some deeds of William Dillard and I had them on my computer desk...they were there when I came back from my family reunion in August. Well, I don't know where I have put them. I have looked for the last two days and I will continue to look until the moment I leave for the hunt. I am SO MAD!!!!!!! :angry5: ...they are here somewhere...I wanted to bring them to the hunt with me so we could all go over them...keep your fingers crossed I locate them!!! I have not even read them completely, nor finished transcribing them!!!

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
waltripcrew said:
If you haven't seen this post and gone and looked/read this book please check it out. If your going to the Pipsico hunt you may just get lucky and find some of the items pictured in the book. locations are across the river from each other.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,161910.0.html

I believe that pertains to the Archeaological Digs that have been occurring at the original Jamestown Site.

Dr. Kelso is incharge of that dig. Really nice guy. My dau found a piece of pottery and we took it to Dr. Kelso and he identified it as a piece of MING CHINA. He took us to the place where they were storing all the artifacts at the time. He pulled out a book (have all this on video!!!) and showed us a picture of the Ming China Tea Set with the same designs my dau found! WHOO HOO!!

We love going to Jamestown to keep up with the recent digs. We haven't been, due to a very busy schedule in some time though :(...last time we were there is when they discovered the well and were extracting stuff from it. We saw them pull out a child's shoe! They believe the well was used as a trash pit and then filled in...it was so cool.

That is one place you won't catch me metal detecting at LOL...even though I would love too...I value my freedom way to much LOL.

Thank you for the link....I will see if I can locate this book. Hubby got a book from Dr. Kelso (autographed), I will have to see where I put it...it may be beneficial to us for our hunts. Thanks for reminding me!!!

And Thank you for your help. We hope you will be able to attend the hunt next year, most likely in March, before the Copperheads venture out!

newbob

Jan 29, 2007
richmond,va
As it looks right now i might be able to make it on Friday. Is there a certain time we need to check in or can we just show up and check in with Ranger Dan.

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
newbob said:
As it looks right now i might be able to make it on Friday. Is there a certain time we need to check in or can we just show up and check in with Ranger Dan.

We will be checking in at noon. I told my hubby, whether he's ready or not...I WILL BE THERE AT NOON!!! If the gate to Kiwanis is open, then we will be there....at the ususal spot! See you then. Glad to hear you can make atleast one day..that's a start!!! See you then.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me try my map skills here.

Off Swanns Point Rd. turn (North) on Pipsico Rd., after 1000 ft. turn right on Kiwannis Dr. About 3500 ft. forest opens to a field on left, then a second opening with a drive circling it. These are Camp Kiwannis. Which opening are you in, Ron and Ann?

Ed D.

Attachments

• Pipsico SatRDsmall.jpg
    Pipsico SatRDsmall.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 357
  • Pipsic RD.jpg
    Pipsic RD.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 373

Old Fart in TN

Nov 27, 2005
Athens Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab
in regards to post #
waltripcrew said:
If you haven't seen this post and gone and looked/read this book please check it out. If your going to the Pipsico hunt you may just get lucky and find some of the items pictured in the book. locations are across the river from each other.
I wasn't trying to say to hunt the site at Jamestown but that the area of Pipsico is across the river from Jamestown and that there is a good chance to find relecs from the same era.

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
waltripcrew said:
in regards to post #
waltripcrew said:
I wasn't trying to say to hunt the site at Jamestown but that the area of Pipsico is across the river from Jamestown and that there is a good chance to find relecs from the same era.

Sorry, I just re-read...oops...bad on me! :'(... I did download some of those papers they had. There were some cool artifacts in there. One thing I did NOT know was that back in the '50's they did digs then!! That report was so interesting.

I was hoping to see if some of those buckles matched what we have found so far and NO :'(...but does not mean they aren't there! :thumbsup:...there is however, an item my hubby found that looks somewhat familiar in one of those pics...I will have to check it out later. Taking a break right now from cleaning (UGH...a Woman's Work Is NEVER DONE!!!)...so time to get back to it before the BOYS get home from school and work and destroy it again!

Thanks for that link...I enjoyed it. And Thanks to Montana Jim for posting it in that thread...wish I saw it earlier!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread