PIPSICO...4th Hunt: Date: 24-27 October 2008 (Fri-Mon)

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Born2Dtect said:
Let me try my map skills here.

Off Swanns Point Rd. turn (North) on Pipsico Rd., after 1000 ft. turn right on Kiwannis Dr. About 3500 ft. forest opens to a field on left, then a second opening with a drive circling it. These are Camp Kiwannis. Which opening are you in, Ron and Ann?

Ed D.

Ed...There is a big sign on the front of the reservation on your right that states PIPSICO Camps Lions Rotary Kiwanis...that road you turn onto the reservation. When you come onto the reservation, you will see the museum dead ahead and the Rangers house to the left. Follow the road around the museum to the right...keep going straight (it's a short ride before you turn). On the right, you will see CAMP KIWANIS sign...turn right and follow that road all the way down until you come to the clearing you see on the map. As soon as you can see the clearing...on the right is the OA Shelter. It has a fireplace and opened on three sides. Just to the left of the shelter is where we set up our tents. Parking is on your left. But you can pull up your vehicle to unpack, but it has to be parked in the area Ranger Dan says we have to park.

The addy for the reservation: 57 Pipsico Road, Spring Grove, Va 23881

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
GOOD NEWS!!! Well, for me anyways...

I FOUND THE PAPERS I MISPLACED!!! :thumbsup: You would never know where I found them?! In the last place I looked...LOL...

No seriously, I gave up looking for them thinking I may have thrown them away, since I have had no luck these past two days. While downstairs cleaning the living, I found them. They were still in the notebook I had taken to work one day to try and transcribe these while on my lunch break...DUH ME!!!

Here's a pic of them...WHEW!!! I feel so much better! Now we will have something interesting to read on Friday night!

4 more days!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0143a.jpg
    IMG_0143a.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_0144a.jpg
    IMG_0144a.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 399

Old Fart in TN

Nov 27, 2005
Athens Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab
So glad you found those papers would of been a big loss for sure. Is that a owner/property map I see? Good luck at the hunt this weekend and be sure to take alot of pictures.

EX2user

Sep 4, 2007
Norfolk,Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explore 11
Hey Waltripcrew
Thanks for the link. i downloaded the book on Jamestown and it is interesting reading. You always learn in this hobby.

Here is the entrance. ( This is my first try at posting pics)
Pipsico_10_5_09 010re.JPG

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
waltripcrew said:
So glad you found those papers would of been a big loss for sure. Is that a owner/property map I see? Good luck at the hunt this weekend and be sure to take alot of pictures.

It's actually a map from 1614-1666 of all the property owners in that area...in the area of Camp Kiwanis location, it says:

E. Carter
to H. Browne

The location of Four Mile Tree was not as big as I thought it was....and states:
Four Mile Tree
J. BUrrows
250 1620 to
J. Smith
b. 1630
to H. Browne

Henry Browne owned ALOT of land according to this map..which included portion of what is now Eastover and Chanco.

And I will post lots of pics!!! Some on here, but the whole bunch on my webshots acct. If you click on my Website under my profile name...it will take you there.

Thank you and we hope you and the Mrs. will be able to join us in the Spring!!! Thanks for all your help!

EX2user said:
Hey Waltripcrew
Thanks for the link. i downloaded the book on Jamestown and it is interesting reading. You always learn in this hobby.
Here is the entrance. ( This is my first try at posting pics)

You did good in posting your pic!!! :thumbsup: And if you look closely, I can see why you took those pics...there were like 5/6 deer there!!! We also saw some at the Bill Hill Cabin! NO>>>>>>>>>>You CAN NOT shoot Bambi!!! :tongue3:

I am going to bring my handle for my sand scooper with me...I want to use it in the water to scoop up some of the bottom and then shift through it. Just maybe...huh? Ya' think? One can only hope. I really want to walk the beach this time, not just a small portion....anyone game?

See ya'll in 4 days..... :thumbsup:

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
I'm planning on bringing my wetsuit, Excal, and maybe some snorkeling equip to use if water's clear enough. I'm going to devote as much time as I can getting used to the Etrac in Relic mode though, so those tide tables will be a big help Anthony! Can't wait to see you all this weekend!!

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Wow, you sure picked up an Etrac fast! Looks like we might have to do some hunting side by side so we can both get to learn our new machines :). I ordered a Sunray probe today, and will have it in time for the hunt. Looking forward to breaking in that little toy :).

Also, I made a copy of the tide table, but if anyone else wants to make one in case I forget to bring mine, here it is. If the location is off, let me know, and I will try to find one closer to the location.

Attachments

• tides.JPG
    tides.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 354

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look at the river charts you can see that dillards wharf is basically in shallow water til the T end at which point it is according to the charts perhaps 10' there. But up to approx 3/4 ways out is approx 2-4' deep.
The boyscout pier shows to be approx 3' at its end.
I might think about doing some wade hunting but not til sunday, wetsuits and excal always travel with me anyway. But dirty water hunting, in a wetsuit without any shower facilities for 2-3 days afterwards isn`t my idea of fun. Besides last 2 weeks i have been in the water most every day, i need a water break and work some dry land.

EX2user

Sep 4, 2007
Norfolk,Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explore 11
Ann

What are the plans for Saturday's dinner? Mike will not be coming due to work so I am trying to get my food list together as well as everything else. :tard: I'm bringing the coffee pot again with cups and all.

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
OMG...getting closer! Hey....everything is all set up for us being there on Friday. WHOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO!!! We're going camping, we're going detecting, we may freeze our butts off, but who cares...cause we are going relic hunting, fossil hunting, coin hunting, we're gonna' have a blast, ...... WHOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
EX2user said:
Ann

What are the plans for Saturday's dinner? Mike will not be coming due to work so I am trying to get my food list together as well as everything else. :tard: I'm bringing the coffee pot again with cups and all.

Hey Eric,

Everyone is bringing something for Sat night...Kiros and his chilli, me and my beef stew, but that's all I know for now. I know Narthonial's wife is making something (might be twice baked tators).... just bring something, french bread is good...to go with the chili and stew...or some rice for the chili and stew... nothing big.

Last count 27 folks, about 20 camping! We got a big crowd this weekend! YEAH!

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Go ahead and keep torturing me with the food entre's.But I still will have to remain here in the ozarks(frowning).Looks like you will have a great bunch and that always means a lot of laughs and good fun.I hope everyone really enjoys themselves and make some great finds,Enjoy the weekend and HH to all.Waiting on the pics to come in.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ron and Ann said:
EX2user said:
Ann

Hey Eric,

Everyone is bringing something for Sat night...Kiros and his chilli, me and my beef stew, but that's all I know for now. I know Narthonial's wife is making something (might be twice baked tators).... just bring something, french bread is good...to go with the chili and stew...or some rice for the chili and stew... nothing big.

Don't know if you have me and StogieJim on the list, but we'll be there early afternoon on Friday. Staying Friday and Saturday nights (Jim for Sunday night, too).

I'll bring a pot of jambalaya and a couple loaves of bread. Not sure what Jim has in mind but last time he brought bratwurst.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

DCMatt

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
warsawdaddy said:
Go ahead and keep torturing me with the food entre's.But I still will have to remain here in the ozarks(frowning).Looks like you will have a great bunch and that always means a lot of laughs and good fun.I hope everyone really enjoys themselves and make some great finds,Enjoy the weekend and HH to all.Waiting on the pics to come in.

WarsawDaddy...

Maybe, just maybe, you can come to our March hunt? Huh? Ya' think? Worth a shot!

I can't wait to show ya'll the pics too! I can't believe we actually have 27 folks CONFIRMED, only a handful will be there just for the days, no camping. Looks like anywhere from 15-20 camping out! But the nicest part, is not only will the Ol' Crew be there, we have some new members coming!! I look so forward to meeting more folks, esp from TNET!!! TNET ROCKS!!! :headbang:

I will make sure to post pics JUST FOR YOU, of all the food from Sat nights feast! Maybe that will entice you to come in March! :thumbsup:

To everyone:

TNet members coming are:
Ron and Ann (2) camping
Stogie Jim (1) camping
Kiros32 (1) camping
Sndman60 (2) Not camping, just day visits
Narthonial (2) New Members and camping
Reidman (1) New Member - Not sure if just coming for the day(s) or camping?
DCMatt (1) camping
Ex2User (1) camping
Hutch911 (1) New Member - Not sure if just coming for the day(s) or camping?
GodMarc (1) New Member - Not sure if just coming for the day(s) or camping?
NewBob (2) Not camping, just day visits. Looks like Bob will be able to make atleast one day of hunting, maybe his job will let him have another day!!!
TheSleeper (1) camping
Jrsherman (2) New Member - camping
Bill D (VA) (1) New Member - just day visits
Jmann2424 (1) New Member - Not sure if just coming for the day(s) or camping?
Born2Detect (1) New Member - camping

Stacy926 and DeeDee....are you girls coming? Haven't heard from ya'll in some time. Hope to see you girls there!! We will have a couple of wives with us this hunt...about time, I was tired of being the ONLY WOMAN!!!

Due to his work schedule, CryptoDave will not be able to make this hunt. Dave, we'll miss you and hope you will be able to make the one come March (2009). Say hello to Angela for us!!! :wave:

I'm missing some...that is only 21??? Better go over my list again! I counted 27...hmmm? But either way, we are excited to have NEW MEMBERS with us and hope they will be able to join us on future hunts, for as long as BSA allows us!!! If I left your name off...let me know please..I can't seem to locate my other list ... just like me to loose things LOL

Looks like some really good sleeping weather, bring an extra blanket though. I am going to have Ron place a tarp over our tent. It will make it warmer inside at night...so think about doing the same for that extra warmth! We did that on our last hunt when we had that sleet! I was really surprised how much warmer the tent was at night! Don't worry, with all the folks coming, there will be enough to help you set up your tent and extra tarp if you plan to do that!

The days, mid day mostly, will be about 60-70...but I'm sure on the James it may be a bit breezy...hope not too breezy!

Kiros is bringing some screens to work with on the James and I'm bringing my scoop and some strainers. Some are bringing their wet suits and I believe tanks, I'll get hubby to bring his wet suit too!

I really hope we can find some good stuff pertaining to Dillard's Wharf...please EVERYONE on TNET...keep your fingers crossed for us, that this hunt will really start producing some really good finds. We have had some lucky finds on the last three...but the more we get involved in this, the better the hunts get, but research plays a big part also!!!

Bring magnifer glasses too...I have some deeds that will need help in reading!!! My ol' eyes just ain't what they use to be!! LOL We can do this Friday night.

If we need water, I know where on camp we can get some...so if we run out...don't worry, we can get some, drinkable!!!

When we arrive on Friday, we need to start collecting some firewood to prepare for Friday night first and foremost and then collect enough that will hold us out for Sat and Sun night! DCMatt builds a mean fire!!! There is plenty cut and fallen wood around, so we will have enough to use and are authorized to use.

I will see about hubby bringing our very large tarp, see if we can hang it on one side of the shelter, to help keep the wind from coming through and contain the heat, as the shelter is open on three sides. Let's hope it helps!!!

Be prepared, as the sun goes down, the warmth goes away.

Can't think of anything else right now...oh, BRING CHAIRS! There are benches and tables we use in the shelter.

1 day and a wake up....I'll be there at noon, with or without Hubby...LOL
Annmarie

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
DCMatt said:
Ron and Ann said:
EX2user said:
Ann

Hey Eric,

Don't know if you have me and StogieJim on the list, but we'll be there early afternoon on Friday. Staying Friday and Saturday nights (Jim for Sunday night, too).

I'll bring a pot of jambalaya and a couple loaves of bread. Not sure what Jim has in mind but last time he brought bratwurst.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

DCMatt

Mmmmm....sounds so good Matt! (warsawdaddy,,,,see the menu now?)

Yes, I have you two on the list, I would NEVER leave you two off!!! Looks like we will have a really awesome weekend ahead of us...ya' think?

Can't wait! Butterflies are getting bigger!!!

See you two this weekend,
Annmarie

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
I will not be there Monday, but I will be there Fri-Sun. We should be able to be there at noon Friday. I have work for that monday, so Sunday evening we must be off.

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Narthoniel said:
I will not be there Monday, but I will be there Fri-Sun. We should be able to be there at noon Friday. I have work for that monday, so Sunday evening we must be off.

That is fine. Mondays are more of packing up gear, cleaning up our campsite area (LEAVE NO TRACE) and getting in a few last hours of detecting, usually the SILVER MINE LOL!!!

It will be a pleasure to have ya'll with us for the most part of the weekend!!! See you two on Friday! YEAH!!!
Annmarie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread