PIPSICO...4th Hunt: Date: 24-27 October 2008 (Fri-Mon)

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
FORECAST UPDATED: 3:43 PM Thursday, 23 October 2008...I'll post in the morning for the weekend again...hopefully the rain will diminish for Sat (during the day atleast)

Forecast for Friday, Oct 24

Day
High: 64°F RealFeel®: 66°F
Increasing clouds
Winds: E at 5mph
Wind Gusts: 8 mph
Max UV Index: Moderate (3)
Thunderstorm Probability: 0%
Amount of Precipitation: 0.00in
Amount of Rain: 0.00in
Amount of Snow: 0.0in
Hours of Precipitation: 0 Hrs
Hours of Rain: 0 Hrs

Hours of Daylight: 10.9 Hrs

Night
Low: 53°F RealFeel®: 49°F
Mostly cloudy and breezy; a bit of rain late
Winds: ESE at 13mph
Wind Gusts: 29 mph
Min UV Index: N/A
Thunderstorm Probability: 4%
Amount of Precipitation: 0.18in
Amount of Rain: 0.18in
Amount Snow: 0.0in
Hours of Precipitation: 2 Hrs
Hours of Rain: 2 Hrs

Hours of Dark 13.1 Hrs

Saturday, Oct 25

Day
High: 67°F RealFeel®: 63°F
Breezy with rain
Winds: SSE at 15mph
Wind Gusts: 29 mph
Max UV Index: Low (1)
Thunderstorm Probability: 29%
Amount of Precipitation: 0.32in
Amount of Rain: 0.32in
Hours of Precipitation: 11 Hrs
Hours of Rain: 11 Hrs

Hours of Daylight: 10.9 Hrs

Night
Low: 46°F RealFeel®: 43°F
Partly cloudy
Winds: WNW at 10mph
Wind Gusts: 17 mph
Thunderstorm Probability: 8%
Amount of Precipitation: 0.03in
Amount of Rain: 0.03in
Hours of Precipitation: 1 Hrs
Hours of Rain: 1 Hrs

Hours of Dark 13.1 Hrs

Sunday, Oct 26

Day
High: 69°F RealFeel®: 68°F
Sunshine and patchy clouds
Winds: SW at 6mph
Wind Gusts: 11 mph
Max UV Index: Moderate (4)
Thunderstorm Probability: 0%

Hours of Daylight: 10.8 Hrs

Night
Low: 45°F RealFeel®: 43°F
Partly cloudy
Winds: SW at 5mph
Wind Gusts: 9 mph
Thunderstorm Probability: 1%

Hours of Dark 13.2 Hrs

Monday, Oct 27

Day
High: 63°F RealFeel®: 59°F
Mostly cloudy
Winds: N at 8mph
Wind Gusts: 13 mph
Max UV Index: Low (2)
Thunderstorm Probability: 2%

Hours of Daylight: 10.8 Hrs

It seems we may have a big of rain on Saturday...please be prepared with rain gear. I sure don't want anyone getting wet and sick! Bring extra shoes and socks too! Feet getting wet and being a bit nippy out, not a comfortable feeling.

We will have to get all the firewood we will need on Friday for the weekend, incase we get the rain that is predicted for Saturday.

I will check the weather again tomorrow and Friday morning! Keep your fingers crossed that it does not rain on us during the day ... anytime during the weekend.. night time..to me is no big deal, we will be sleeping!

See ya'll soon,
Annmarie

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
OK....a wake up to go!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Don't forget your:

METAL DETECTOR and tools, bags you need
TENT and sleeping bag / air mattress / extra blanket / tarp
Clothes enough to hold you out throughout the weekend (and extra incase you get wet from the rain!!!)
Bring an extra pair of shoes and SOCKS!!!
Bring jackets, sweatshirts, long sleeves, whatever you need to keep warm
GLOVES (not just for digging...for keeping your hands warm)
HAND WARMERS (they work great...I get them at Target for a dollar for a pkg of 8, I believe it was...or was it 6?)
RAIN GEAR!!!
Camera if you want to take pics
Plenty of water
Whatever else you can think of...I was trying to think of the most important stuff...

One More Thing...VERY IMPORTANT.....

NO ALCOHOL IS AUTHORIZED!!!

This is a Boy Scout Camp and there will be members (both Adults and Young Men) of the ORDER OF THE ARROW (which my hubby is now one!). If you bring it....don't let me see it!!! That's all I will say on that!!! This is BOY SCOUT of AMERICA's REGULATION, not PIPSICO's!!! We have gained the trust of those in charge of Pipsico and the BSA Office Tidewater Council, PLEASE ... FOLLOW THE RULES and REGS!!! Thank you very much!!!

Make sure to have your money for your camping fees when you arrive ($1.00 per person per night). I have to turn this in when I return to VB to the BSA Office.

When out, PLEASE, PLEASE and PLEASE.........COVER YOUR HOLES!!!! If you PULL trash from the hole, keep it and bring back to camp...DO NOT REBURY TRASH, DO NOT THROW IT IN THE WOODS!!!

LEAVE NO TRACE!!!!

I even photograph ALL the trash pulled out....to show we don't just retrieve the GOOD STUFF for BSA!!!

Parking will be across from were we are camping. You may drive to the main part of the reservation and to Camp Lions, BUT YOU MUST PARK IN DESIGNATED PARKING AREAS!!!! Again, with the Order of the Arrow present, we are Guests at Pipsico and need to abide by all Rules and Regs. I will let you know where you may park and what areas are OFF LIMITS!!!

For those who are attending for the first time: I can not stress this enough.... DO NOT ENTER THE ARCHEAOLOGICAL DIG AREA WITH YOUR DETECTORS!!! You may enter to look...DO NOT DIG, DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING FROM THIS AREA, DO NOT DO ANYTHING BUT LOOK!!!! I have already had one run in with one of the archies and WE DO NOT NEED TO ADD ANY FUEL TO THE FIRE!!!

DO NOT go to the edge of the cliffs...they are VERY UNSTABLE!

Both of the above mentioned are BSA Tidewater Council Rules and Regs. If anyone is caught breaking any rules, you will be asked to leave and not able to return for any hunt!!!

As for going over to Camp Lions...let me check with the Camp Director in charge of the OA this weekend. DO NOT go until I get a go ahead.

I think that's it for now....got to get to packing...if I remember anything...I'll post!

SEE YA'LL TOMORROW!!!
Annmarie

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Some thigns to consider too when packing that I did not seem mentioned. I hope I am nto out of line in mentioning this. I am working on my pack lists at the moment too, so thought I would add these.

FOOD! :)
Detector/battery chargers
Will we ened bug spray?

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bug Spray is not a bad idea, This area is very tickyyyyy some are very stubborn to leave,die or hibernate whatever it is they do, so deep woods off is highly recommened.
Make sure you check yourself each nite, these tend to be those lil teenie tiny head of a needle ones so very hard to see.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
This looks like a great time. Hope to join you next time. good luck to all and can't wait to see the finds!!!

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Narthoniel said:
Some thigns to consider too when packing that I did not seem mentioned. I hope I am nto out of line in mentioning this. I am working on my pack lists at the moment too, so thought I would add these.

FOOD! :)
Detector/battery chargers
Will we ened bug spray?

LOL...no .. .you are not out of line....I was just thinking of the items pertaining to the weather! Bug Spray is a good idea too, just incase!!!

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
TheSleeper said:
Bug Spray is not a bad idea, This area is very tickyyyyy some are very stubborn to leave,die or hibernate whatever it is they do, so deep woods off is highly recommened.
Make sure you check yourself each nite, these tend to be those lil teenie tiny head of a needle ones so very hard to see.

We were up there the weekend before last and noone had any probs with ticks! Let's hope this weekend will be tick free!!! I read somewhere on here that someone buys those cheap flea and tick collars and puts them around their ankles...hmmm?

Also...where there use to be weeds growing, was MOWED because of the 50th anniversary...so I don't think it has grown too much since the weekend before last.

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
cntrydncr1 said:
This looks like a great time. Hope to join you next time. good luck to all and can't wait to see the finds!!!

Thank you...we hope ya'll will be able to make the March hunt. (April / March timeframe...it depends on what BSA has scheduled)...so keep your eyes out for the FIFTH HUNT!

I'll try to post everything on Monday when we return home...be on the lookout! I have a really good feeling about this weekend...it's that WOMEN'S INTUTION!!! :wink: :thumbsup:

See everyone tomorrow!!
Annmarie

PS: Blackbird939 will be joining us on Friday, and camping Friday night...but will be leaving on Saturday. Glad to have you onboard!!!

EX2user

Sep 4, 2007
Norfolk,Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explore 11
Last hunt I had a bout with a few ticks and a spider bite that took awhile to heal. I am planning to use repel permanome on my clothing and rebel sportsman max with 40% deet on me. I did not use it that much last time. It won't happen this time.

Ann
Everysince you said you were sooo excited, I can't get that darn song out of my head. Been singing it all day long. I really need a break from work.

Hope everyone has a safe trip to the hunt. I smelll silver !!!!!!!

Take care.

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hey....a quickie here...hope ya'll see this before you leave tomorrow....

Bring a bath towel and shower gear.... being they are at Camp Lions... the showers may be open... we might be able to use the showers on Saturday..... I'll find out tomorrow....

Not sure if they are there on Sunday...will find out tomorrow...

So just be prepared incase the showers at Camp Lions is open!!!! (esp for those of us there all weekend...a shower inbetween would be nice!)

See ya' tomorrow......
Annmarie

PS: LOL Eric....

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
O......Kay! It's 6:32 A.M. .....I am AWAKE! Getting the boys up to get their showers, and get ready for school.

We got all of our gear in the living room (I won't leave it in the truck overnight...open bay! And hubby's truck has been broken into twice in the last year! UGH!)...anyways....we will pick up the food after we drop the boys off at school, cause we have to make sure there's enough food for the boys and mother in law for the weekend!

Once that is done, pack up the truck and get on the road by 10 A.M.

WEATHER UPDATE:

Friday, Oct 24
High: 62 °F RealFeel®: 63 °F
Mostly cloudy

Friday Night, Oct 24
Low: 42 °F RealFeel®: 53 °F
Breezy with plenty of clouds; rain overspreading the area late (suppose to start about 2 A.M.)

Saturday, Oct 25
High: 65 °F RealFeel®: 62 °F
Cloudy and breezy with rain tapering off (suppose to rain till about 1 P.M.)

Saturday Night, Oct 25
Low: 43 °F RealFeel®: 48 °F
Clouds breaking

Sunday, Oct 26
High: 72 °F RealFeel®: 71 °F
Mostly sunny and pleasant

Sunday Night, Oct 26
Low: 45 °F RealFeel®: 39 °F
Partly cloudy

Monday, Oct 27
High: 65 °F RealFeel®: 58 °F
Breezy with times of clouds and sun

Not a bad weekend, despite some rain on Saturday, just not sure if sprinkles or downpour! Maybe it will stop before 1 pm!

Ok.... DON'T FORGET YOUR DETECTORS!!!! And your tents....and sleeping bags....and well, you know the routine!

See you there in a few hours....I'll be shutting down my computer about 9 - 9:30 A.M. and will check here before I do!
Annmarie

PS: I'll have my cell with me....for those who have my number. If you don't, PM me before 9 A.M. and I will give it to you!

sndman60

Jan 31, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
Hot Digity D@#$, let's get it on. Ann & Ron see you guys noon-ish. Can't wait. Ann I think I gave you my number, if you guys need anything after you get there just give me a holler. See ya then.

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
We are back from the hunt. I will try to post ALL the photos tonight so you can see them...I will make a new thread for it.

However, if I don't, please be patient with me. We returned home to find out one of our dearest friends passed away Friday night. I made a thread under THINKING OF YOU for Si Simons. He was one hell of a MAN!!! I wish those of you that have attended these hunts had the pleasure of meeting him. So, please bear with me. Our troop is helping his family. I have lots of emails to read to find out what all has to be done. His services will be Wednesday at 4 pm.

I could not wait to get back to let Si know of our hunt. He so loved to hear about it and of all the finds. He was so helpful with the knowledge of Pipscio.

So, I will post as soon as I can....but I want to THANK EVERYONE that came. I did have a wonderful weekend and so enjoyed your company! Look forward to seeing you again in the very near future!!

Blessings to everyone,
Annmarie

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
warsawdaddy said:
Any jambalaya left?

Yes. It was a pretty good batch, too. :thumbsup: But I ate it Sunday night after I got home from the hunt. I'd be happy to post my recipe.

DCMatt

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again for an awesome hunt guys! Sorry I couldn't bring the chili, but I will be sure to make a double batch for the next one.

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Thank you both for putting on a great campout and hunt! Theia and I had a great time, and look forward to attending the next hunt. It was great to meet all of you, and hopefully next time I won't be as much of a dirt diggin newbie. :)

Anthony

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions