What's new

Placed an order for the Gold Monster 2000

Chilli

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2022
Messages
5,420
Reaction score
31,207
Golden Thread
0
Location
OZ (Down Under) Central Victoria. Golden Triangle.
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Gold Monster 2000
Just spoke to the guy I get my gear from and ordered the Monster. Said it should be just a few weeks away. Looking forward to getting this one as im hearing of great results from testers here.
Be glad to get swinging on gold again after the break Iv had.😁
 
Upvote 0
I suppose with detectors its horses for courses. There is never one detector fits all.

I am a big fan of Minelab detectors The Gold Monster 1000 is a good pick if you want something basic just for gold. And worthy tool in your neck of woods as your in nugget country. All mine lab Detectors are reliable. I have taken them to places all over globe where other detector brands have failed or did not survive the rigors of exploration.

I have a SDC 2300 I love rugged compact design. The Minelab SDC 2300 is a well-regarded, compact, and easy-to-use gold detector known for its sensitivity to small gold nuggets in hot, mineralized ground, although some experienced problems like a fragile headphone connector. And in some respects it has a limited depth compared to larger machines, and short headphone cords which is pain in the ass. Its simple operation, waterproof design, and ruggedness make it a popular choice. but for me I just find it too heavy and not very ergonomic.

I also have the EXCALIBUR II is a rugged, dive-ready detector built for serious underwater exploration. Waterproof to 60 metres (200 ft), it excels in saltwater environments like shipwrecks, surf zones and beaches. Rotary dial controls make adjustments easy, while multi-tone analogue audio helps you identify targets by sound. A dual shaft system gives you the flexibility to detect on land or switch to a compact dive setup. It survived in places not other detectors did. The only criticism of Excalibur is nobs fitting inside is made of plastic and get very brittle and break off. I replaced the nobs with none mine lab nobs And its performance is design for ocean detecting and not so much among hot rocks.

But for best around versatility, deeper detection, and better value for long-term, I still would choose the Equinox 800. The Minelab Equinox 800 is a versatile, waterproof metal detector designed for various conditions, featuring multi-frequency technology for simultaneous detection of different targets. Key features include a clear LCD with large Target IDs, multiple pre-set and custom detecting modes, automatic and manual ground balance, noise cancel, and high-speed wireless audio. Its gold detecting mode and ability to operate in single or multi-frequency modes make it suitable for general detecting, gold prospecting, and beach hunting I have the 800 although I am not sure its worth the cost of a upgrade to a 900 which does seems more lighter and ergonomic.

That said all detectors have their good points and bad points.

Crow
 
I suppose with detectors its horses for courses. There is never one detector fits all.

I am a big fan of Minelab detectors The Gold Monster 1000 is a good pick if you want something basic just for gold. And worthy tool in your neck of woods as your in nugget country. All mine lab Detectors are reliable. I have taken them to places all over globe where other detector brands have failed or did not survive the rigors of exploration.

I have a SDC 2300 I love rugged compact design. The Minelab SDC 2300 is a well-regarded, compact, and easy-to-use gold detector known for its sensitivity to small gold nuggets in hot, mineralized ground, although some experienced problems like a fragile headphone connector. And in some respects it has a limited depth compared to larger machines, and short headphone cords which is pain in the ass. Its simple operation, waterproof design, and ruggedness make it a popular choice. but for me I just find it too heavy and not very ergonomic.

I also have the EXCALIBUR II is a rugged, dive-ready detector built for serious underwater exploration. Waterproof to 60 metres (200 ft), it excels in saltwater environments like shipwrecks, surf zones and beaches. Rotary dial controls make adjustments easy, while multi-tone analogue audio helps you identify targets by sound. A dual shaft system gives you the flexibility to detect on land or switch to a compact dive setup. It survived in places not other detectors did. The only criticism of Excalibur is nobs fitting inside is made of plastic and get very brittle and break off. I replaced the nobs with none mine lab nobs And its performance is design for ocean detecting and not so much among hot rocks.

But for best around versatility, deeper detection, and better value for long-term, I still would choose the Equinox 800. The Minelab Equinox 800 is a versatile, waterproof metal detector designed for various conditions, featuring multi-frequency technology for simultaneous detection of different targets. Key features include a clear LCD with large Target IDs, multiple pre-set and custom detecting modes, automatic and manual ground balance, noise cancel, and high-speed wireless audio. Its gold detecting mode and ability to operate in single or multi-frequency modes make it suitable for general detecting, gold prospecting, and beach hunting I have the 800 although I am not sure its worth the cost of a upgrade to a 900 which does seems more lighter and ergonomic.

That said all detectors have their good points and bad points.

Crow
Yeah. For me here if all was well with me I'd have never sold my GPX5000 with its Evo coils. Killer combo here. Alas some health conditions saw me say goodbye to it. Im ok carrying and using my Xterra and the Monster will be similar weight and balance but better at finding small gold in bad ground. Was so happy when I heard it was coming out and I can get back into the game. Its a shallow small gold hunter and I don't really care that it is, it'll get me back out there. Don't think I'll bother with the Nokta now. I know I'll never be in the hunt for bigger gold deep like I used to do. But iv been there and done it and had my fun doing it.
Next chapter 😁
Bummer you guys here are not here all of you that answer and join in. I think your all good eggs so to speak. Id be happy to detect with you guys 👍👍
 
Last edited:
Yeah. For me here if all was well with me I'd have never sold my GPX5000 with its Evo coils. Killer combo here. Alas some health conditions saw me say goodbye to it. Im ok carrying and using my Xterra and the Monster will be similar weight and balance but better at finding small gold in bad ground. Was so happy when I heard it was coming out and I can get back into the game. Its a shallow small gold hunter and I don't really care that it is, it'll get me back out there. Don't think I'll bother with the Nokta now. I know I'll never be in the hunt for bigger gold deep like I used to do. But iv been there and done it and had my fun doing it.
Next chapter 😁
Bummer you guys here are not here all of you that answer and join in. I think your all good eggs so to speak. Id be happy to detect with you guys 👍👍
I love your thinking of going after smaller finds as with many areas around the world that is where it is at. Not everyone has the ability to metal detect in your part of the world for both big and small finds.

As far as all are good eggs goes, this 'egg' tries to make a good 'crack up' once in a while.................. :laughing7: :tongue3: 🐱
 
Price point wise the 2000 and e1500 are so close....why the 2000?
Hi. I owned the E15000 for several months and didn't like it. It was an early V1 and should never have been released the way it was. It was an insult to the intelligence.
Us that got the V1 were virtually testers for the mongrel and soon out came V2 with all the issues fixed. Its not the machine it was hyped to be and in my opinion the 5000 with 12" Evo was better on the little bits.
 
How did you find the GPX5000? I have never used that one!

Crow
Was the best detector I ever owned. Amazing sensitivity and depth. I owned one as soon as they were released. I still would if I could. Was a beast with the Evo coils on it.
 
Hello Chilli

Thanks for the info. Really good to know. I was considering buying anGPX5000 But I wonder what the improvement is with GPX6000 is it much improvement over GPX5000 or just marketing ploy? I see there is GPZ7000 I would love to know if there substantial improvement over older models.

Crow
 
Hi. I owned the E15000 for several months and didn't like it. It was an early V1 and should never have been released the way it was. It was an insult to the intelligence.
Us that got the V1 were virtually testers for the mongrel and soon out came V2 with all the issues fixed. Its not the machine it was hyped to be and in my opinion the 5000 with 12" Evo was better on the little bits.
Since you bought one and it wasn't up to par for you and now a V2 is out, I wonder if you could arrange to send it back for a updated version ???
 
Since you bought one and it wasn't up to par for you and now a V2 is out, I wonder if you could arrange to send it back for a updated version ???
Hi. No I sold it after I sent it back to have it checked out to be sure there were no operational issues for whomever bought it from me. I advised the person of the issues it had which I wasn't happy with and that it didn't perform like others on certain sites were falsely claiming it did and sold it with coil and battery for $1050 less than everything together cost me. He got $2650 worth for $1600 everything still under warranty. It had the brand new Sadie V2 coil with it.
The manufacturer before I sold it refused to replace the dodgy twisting stem and expected me to pay $250 for a new one. Out of principle id never touch another AlgoForce.
 
Hello Chilli

Thanks for the info. Really good to know. I was considering buying anGPX5000 But I wonder what the improvement is with GPX6000 is it much improvement over GPX5000 or just marketing ploy? I see there is GPZ7000 I would love to know if there substantial improvement over older models.

Crow
Hi mate. The 6 is good. I honestly think the three of them are good detectors. The 7000 was better in low to medium mineralised ground. But there's new coils for it now which have improved it. I owned one and personally preferred the 5000. It found stuff but at that particular time when I had the 5 and 7 the 5 with the Evo coils outperformed it, at the time quite substantially. I remember taking the 7000 to a hot spot of mine and found just 3 little bits. No drama that can happen places dont give up gold indefinitely. The 5000 with at the time the 12" evo prototype I was using blew me away. Same spot I got dozens of bits over a few week period with the best 25g. I don't doubt the new coils that you can get for the 7 up its performance as I hear. I haven't tried it with the new coils but believe the guys who told me its improved it significantly. But, there are a mod or two for the 5000 that has greatly upped its performance now increasing depth on larger targets. By all accounts I believe it does. The 6 is great on small to medium gold, no slouch on bigger stuff and a lot lighter than the 5000 and the 7000 brick. Id still back the 5000 as the leader especially with the mod. I can't knock any of those three machines honestly though.
Its hard though seeing as I have watched videos of people in the US getting gold in ground that iv never seen here, so performance there with any of them could be quite different to what I have experienced here. My experience was bad ironstone areas with noisy clays that changed the ballance at times with just a swing or two. Id hit the balance button dozens and dozens of times a day in places. Were some ok areas quieter but generally it was all noisy ironstone mineralised clay areas.
My serious hunting days though Crow are over, just fun hobby stuff now.
 
Hello Chilli

Thanks for the info. Really good to know. I was considering buying anGPX5000 But I wonder what the improvement is with GPX6000 is it much improvement over GPX5000 or just marketing ploy? I see there is GPZ7000 I would love to know if there substantial improvement over older models.

Crow
I had the 7000. It finds small gold better than the gpx5000, but it is marginally better for large gold. The ground balance is better. Less hot rocks and works better on extreme mineralization. I would still be using it if it didn't burn with all my other belongings. I still have my gpx4500 and have no desire to replace the z. Sdc2300 was the best detector I ever owned and would buy another in a heart beat if I was in the market for another detector. The sdc finds the patch, the 4500 gets anything the sdc can't.
 
I had the 7000. It finds small gold better than the gpx5000, but it is marginally better for large gold. The ground balance is better. Less hot rocks and works better on extreme mineralization. I would still be using it if it didn't burn with all my other belongings. I still have my gpx4500 and have no desire to replace the z. Sdc2300 was the best detector I ever owned and would buy another in a heart beat if I was in the market for another detector. The sdc finds the patch, the 4500 gets anything the sdc can't.
Hi yeah I found the 5 with the 12" flat wind or spiral wind coil got the smallest in fine gold mode. I owned both for an extended period pitting them against each other. Until the newer X coils came out it didn't compete with the 5 on depth on large targets, that was confirmed too by the manufacturer of Nugget Finder coils at the time. I used to test prototypes for him. But im in Australia and that's how it was here in the Golden Triangle in Victoria.
I also did testing with the 12" flat wind. 1/20th of a gram was common to find with that on the 5 with the 12 Evo in Fine Gold mode.
This was the 15" proto I was using before its release. The tape was to hold it together as the prototypes typically were not manufactured like the end production ones, it was all about testing in field performance in different ground types on actual nuggets not planted. The RD stands for research/development.
Photo250.webp
 
The Monster works great outside, but it can't handle the mineralization inside of mine shafts. My buddy brought his to try and find a pocket inside our old hard rock mine and he came out beaming, thinking he'd found a bonanza... So I took the 5000 in and went over his find and found a pocket of mostly iron. The Monster just wasn't handling the ironstone even in the side wall. I mean we have a 12" wide quartz seam that pays with pockets & his bonanza was in the host rock. We blasted it anyway just to make sure & there was a 1/4" wide quartz seam, but not much gold. So to me, the Monster works great outside on the ground as it was designed for 😊
 
The Monster works great outside, but it can't handle the mineralization inside of mine shafts. My buddy brought his to try and find a pocket inside our old hard rock mine and he came out beaming, thinking he'd found a bonanza... So I took the 5000 in and went over his find and found a pocket of mostly iron. The Monster just wasn't handling the ironstone even in the side wall. I mean we have a 12" wide quartz seam that pays with pockets & his bonanza was in the host rock. We blasted it anyway just to make sure & there was a 1/4" wide quartz seam, but not much gold. So to me, the Monster works great outside on the ground as it was designed for 😊
Hi. The new one will use the exact same ground handling and processing as the PI detectors unlike the GM1000. It might be a different kettle of fish the new one in that same scenario. We'll see soon enough. Unless you are talking about having tested out the new 2000?
I used to love detecting reef workings for specimens and yeah had plenty of times a VLF went off positive on some iron inclusions. But did find using them some wonderful specimens with several grams of gold that the PI's wouldn't even get a sniff at. I'll post a few pictures later of a couple I kept that I knocked out of reef walls in the old workings.
 
Last edited:
These I got with an Xterra detecting the exposed quartz sides off an open cut reef working.
IMG_20251019_124537264.webp

Admittedly now and then I got false ones that when smashed open were just mineral concentrations in the quartz. Typically they were "is it or isn't it something" positive signal finds. But when it was gold the probability from the signal sound leaned more towards "this should be gold" rather than maybe. Still now n then they weren't. But the ratio was better.
 
These I got with an Xterra detecting the exposed quartz sides off an open cut reef working.
View attachment 2229950
Admittedly now and then I got false ones that when smashed open were just mineral concentrations in the quartz. Typically they were "is it or isn't it something" positive signal finds. But when it was gold the probability from the signal sound leaned more towards "this should be gold" rather than maybe. Still now n then they weren't. But the ratio was better.
Very interesting.
To my eyes the left and middle rock pieces appear to have a small piece of 8–10-gauge gold section that got smashed / pocketed that is thick enough to signal overcome the much thinner background iron / minerals for the detector coil to respond to with a VLF. If both the gold and the background iron / minerals where the same thickness I'm thinking the VLF would not pick up on the gold as far as a signal reading goes. Having not a thick enough conductor for the coil signal to react to is an important factor is the point I'm getting at here.
The gold can conduct more of a signal cycle per gram then iron only if it is thick, enough is the point. :dontknow:
 
Very interesting.
To my eyes the left and middle rock pieces appear to have a small piece of 8–10-gauge gold section that got smashed / pocketed that is thick enough to signal overcome the much thinner background iron / minerals for the detector coil to respond to with a VLF. If both the gold and the background iron / minerals where the same thickness I'm thinking the VLF would not pick up on the gold as far as a signal reading goes. Having not a thick enough conductor for the coil signal to react to is an important factor is the point I'm getting at here.
The gold can conduct more of a signal cycle per gram then iron only if it is thick, enough is the point. :dontknow:
Hi. The middle and right one were 1 piece. You see the hollow in the middle one, thats where the protruding bit from the right one fitted into. It didn't fill the whole of that cavity but protruded into it. That was a positive signal that sounded like it was deeper into the quartz wall but was in the surface of it. You can see it still has on it some of the lovely greasy feel slate that was associated with the rich reef it came from on it.
The left one was faint and easy to get out and surprised me to see the gold so visible when I broke the specimen open. It detected much better from one side than the other even though there was little difference at the time thickness wise.
Im no expert, I just hunt and find and observe and keep my eye open for similar signs in other places that look like ones I have had success in the past.
I get what you mean how the associated minerals can hinder getting a good or better signal on the same gold being with it as opposed to not being with it or in lesser quantity. I used to love hunting that stuff but where I used to go a lot is pretty rugged and has some steep slopes which my worn out knee wouldn't hold up in these days I don't think. I have a few more I'll take some pictures of tomorrow from where I used to go.
 
@Assembler
Hi mate here's three more.
This one was given to me by an old timer miner I was friends with. He is long gone now. Fantastic guy. A Goldmaster 24k only just registers it. Forget a PI on it. Its rich visible gold quartz.
101_1589 (1).webp

This I found with a GMT and wasn't what you would call a screamer. Just an ok
signal thats gone just a few inches away from the coil. The second picture is the gold circled. PI wont register on it.
101_1584 (1).webp

101_1584 (1) (1).webp

This one screams on a VLF, still detects on a PI but not as loud or from as far away.
101_1586 (1).webp

Cheers mate 👍
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom