What's new

Plane crash 624

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2016
Messages
2,280
Reaction score
2,110
Golden Thread
0
Location
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went up to the 624 crash site on Sat., the usual plane parts. I always bring them home and clean them in a solution, I let them soak a few days and then glass bead them. When I cleaned out my bucket I found this bracelet in the bottom. It must've been lodged inside one of the plane parts and came out with the mud. Didn't even know I had it till last night ! Also found this padlock, all beat to hell but still locked.View attachment 1292053View attachment 1292055View attachment 1292056
 
Upvote 21
That's cool and weird at the same time. Do they ever ask for airplane parts back? I think it would be really neat to search a crash site.
 
Last edited:
The crash happened in 1948, investigation complete. I save the plane parts cause I want to make a 4'x8' display under glass of the more iconic piecesView attachment 1292426View attachment 1292427

unfortunately I threw away a Ton of the Scrap, before it sunk in I should have kept it.

I have the Bracelet pieces like yours yet .
I wonder if they are from the same one.

MagazinePics_edited-1.webp

4' by 8' Display will be nice ! take pics when it's done :thumbsup:

the blue pieces in the right of your picture are from the UA Dishes & cups

DSCF0002.webp
 
Last edited:
also keep an Eye in case they Lied about getting all the Diamonds.

Diamonds.webp

Helicopter Report.webp
 
Found sparkling pieces but disregarded until I read that the diamonds were "uncut ", now I save them. A friend of mine who came here from South Africa had friends in the diamond smuggling racket, he told me that even an expert could take a week sorting uncut stones from a teacup full of broken glass. Also,never try to sell them without proper paperwork, as bad or worse than ivory. Have you seen this photo?View attachment 1292496
 
Found sparkling pieces but disregarded until I read that the diamonds were "uncut ", now I save them. A friend of mine who came here from South Africa had friends in the diamond smuggling racket, he told me that even an expert could take a week sorting uncut stones from a teacup full of broken glass. Also,never try to sell them without proper paperwork, as bad or worse than ivory. Have you seen this photo?View attachment 1292496

no I think that's a new one to me.
is that from the investigation ?
 
Yes, if you look closely you can see tags on the pieces
 
Jeff, do you see the latch in my photo directly under the fork? I think it's from one of the mail bags, it's way too heavy for a suitcase. I also found a panel with switches marked Lounge,Flood, etc.
 
Jeff, do you see the latch in my photo directly under the fork? I think it's from one of the mail bags, it's way too heavy for a suitcase. I also found a panel with switches marked Lounge,Flood, etc.

yes looked to me like suit case latch :dontknow:
 
Finds are very interesting, but dude do you ever wash your hands?
 
Best digging tools I got, you should see them when the ground is muddy !!!
 
This bracelet is marked "Pat. Jul. 14. 84". It's missing one stone. I need to give it a thorough cleaning, after I wash my hands.View attachment 1292567
 
Interesting site to hunt, a crash like that would keep a detectorist busy for many years.
There was a crash on Mt. San Gorgonio out here..think Frank Sinatra`s mother was on board , I used to hike past the fuselage climbing down from the top, I don't think I could hike up there now that I`m older, was always kind of spooky seeing the parts like it just happened, too high for them to remove the big stuff.
Good luck out there.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom