What's new

plans or blueprints for a water scoop

bomber

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2006
Messages
2,349
Reaction score
69
Golden Thread
0
Location
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
anybody?.......thanks!
 

Attachments

  • R226_scoop.webp
    R226_scoop.webp
    5 KB · Views: 1,603
  • R226_scoop.webp
    R226_scoop.webp
    5 KB · Views: 1,597
Upvote 0
Why? There are so many scoops available just buy one the time and cost isn't worth it.
150.00 bucks will pay for its self in one month.
 
Stainless Steel is the way to go for durability. Drilling 300 holes in stainless steel would take you a month and probably eat up a dozen expensive carbide tipped bits. I am thinking they must punch them in the commercial scoops. Go buy a decent scoop. It is not worth the time and trouble to make your own.
 
while i agree completely with everyone above, i also understand folks like to DIY. take a look over in the tool shed. they have a couple of complete start to finish projects over there.
i still say just pony up FWIW.
 
Third. Dont be cheap just buy, save urself time aggravation and get out and hunt with the time ur trying to build a scoop.

CB
 
yes, you can build your own scoop. i built mine, but when it failed it left me high and dry!
i bought a scoop and made my money back with my first ring.
why buy a good metal detector with a cheap scoop?
 
thanks and i agree( i already have two scoops,sunspot and a travel)but i met a guy who works with stainless steel and says he can crank these scoops out no problem so i was just trying to make it easier on him by getting plans...........me cheap out?no way :D
 
bomber said:
thanks and i agree( i already have two scoops,sunspot and a travel)but i met a guy who works with stainless steel and says he can crank these scoops out no problem so i was just trying to make it easier on him by getting plans...........me cheap out?no way :D

You might try contacting Kiwijohn... he sent me the instructions on his diamond head scoop, and it looked better than any other homemade school I've seen so far. I can even try fishing up the documents if he doesn't mind me sending them to you.
Here's the scoop!
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,219492.0.html

Bran <><
 
I made these and they're very tough, a bit heavy but I love the looped handles as I can even sling them over my shoulder, they're also pretty balanced and they provide enough leverage for pulling a full scoop back out of the bottom. But these were made for freshwater beaches, (saltwater would eat these things up in a hurry.) I just like tinkering and using something I made myself, just adds to the experience, like tying your own flies when fly fishing.
 

Attachments

  • sc1.webp
    sc1.webp
    35.1 KB · Views: 619
MAKE YOU OWN SCOOP!?
IT CAN'T BE DONE.... IT CAN"T BE DONE!! :laughing7:

I thought we just finished a post like this?
There seems to be to many misconceptions about doing metal work
and building a scoop?

"I just like tinkering and using something I made myself, just adds to the experience,
like tying your own flies when fly fishing."
.

..I couldn't agree more! :headbang:
 
petersra said:
I am thinking they must punch them in the commercial scoops.
FLO-JET..... Cut with water pressure.... Man, the things I could do with one of those machines... If you had one, building one would probably be pretty inexpensive...
 
like most have said, buy one and save your self head aches

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuutttttttttttttttt if you want to have fun build your own

my dry sand scoop is built the way I wanted. I have shoulder problem with

my left shoulder and have limited use of it from a work related accident

so I wanted on that would sit upright if sat on the ground while I switched

hands to scan and or scoop, so I made my own to fit my needs.

I had some 1/16 stainless steel so I drew what I wanted on paper to fit my piece of metal
20101015_16.webp
cut it out drilled holes and added a handle
I don't weld so I had to bolt or rivet everything
It works for me
20101015_09.webp
20101015_07.webp
20101015_05.webp
 
I copied your method & instructions for my own reference... :wink:

Bran <><
 
When I made ScoopZilla, I bent all the stainless steel by hand, arm strong, leverage, hammer, and a good vice to hold it. There were 3 pieces total to make my scoop and a good hammer, imagination, and ingenuity came into play. It took me several weeks to make. I looked at scoops on the internet and down at Bill Jacksons an outdoor outfitter in Pinellas Park St. Petersburg FL. that sells scoops and detectors. Took what I thought was there best features and then built Scoopzilla. It is one monster scoop!
here is the link to ScoopZilla!
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,225979.0.html
 
Silver Surfer said:
petersra said:
I am thinking they must punch them in the commercial scoops.
FLO-JET..... Cut with water pressure.... Man, the things I could do with one of those machines... If you had one, building one would probably be pretty inexpensive...

Surfer,

They cut real pretty, but slow as molasses on metal!!! On ebay from about 50G, new 250G plus! Doesn't included machinery to form or weld. But its nice to dream!!!!!
I'd like to get one to cut glass.

Steve :-)
 
petersra said:
Stainless Steel is the way to go for durability. Drilling 300 holes in stainless steel would take you a month and probably eat up a dozen expensive carbide tipped bits. I am thinking they must punch them in the commercial scoops. Go buy a decent scoop. It is not worth the time and trouble to make your own.

I drilled 289 1/8 holes to start then 169 1/2 and 120 3/8 in about 4 hours with a drill press running about 750 rpm. I used one black oxide bit for each size, they did dull some but still made it threw the stainless.
I had tried drilling at 2500 rpm and burned up 4 bit before I slowed it down. It was non stop drilling.
 
Every metal has different characteristics!
When you drill 304, you better be seeing shavings being cut!
If not, and that bit starts squealing. you just dulled a bit. Then it builds heat and
the 304 will work-harden! Then the fun really starts!

Hey Steve... where's that titanium scoop at!? :laughing7:
 
Number9 said:
MAKE YOU OWN SCOOP!?
IT CAN'T BE DONE.... IT CAN"T BE DONE!! :laughing7:

I thought we just finished a post like this?
There seems to be to many misconceptions about doing metal work
and building a scoop?

"I just like tinkering and using something I made myself, just adds to the experience,
like tying your own flies when fly fishing."
.

..I couldn't agree more! :headbang:

No one is saying it can't be done, just that 99 people out of a hundred are better off buying a custom built one....



Here are the plans, specs and a picture of the one I use, and it is fantastic scoop, even added a stainless steel lip to it....Coincidently all the parts to make it can be found together on the same shelf at the same store........ :tongue3: :laughing9:

BeachBruteII.jpg



beachbrute-1-1.jpg
 
Number9 said:
Hey Steve... where's that titanium scoop at!? :laughing7:

can't find a deal on ti.

considering it will probably take a couple tries, sooner or later though!

steve :-)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom