✅ SOLVED Please help identify this Great Lakes rock.

john17wi

Jun 20, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello group.

I found this rock on a beach in Bayfield, WI along Lake Superior. I broke off a small corner of it with a pliers to make sure it wasn't metal, because it looked a little like it by the color. It broke easily. It almost looks like the raised, kidney bean shaped lump is another rock that fused with the flat portion. The entire rock sparkles just a little bit in the sunlight. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Attachments

• Lake_Superior_Rock_1.jpg
    Lake_Superior_Rock_1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 80
  • Lake_Superior_Rock_2.jpg
    Lake_Superior_Rock_2.jpg
    1,014.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Lake_Superior_Rock_3.jpg
    Lake_Superior_Rock_3.jpg
    735 KB · Views: 46

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to TreasureNet!

Neat-looking rock/thing. Did you try to see if a magnet will stick to it and/or if it will attract a magnet if you lay it on a table?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

john17wi

Jun 20, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TreasureNet!

Neat-looking rock/thing. Did you try to see if a magnet will stick to it and/or if it will attract a magnet if you lay it on a table?

Thanks for the welcome Dougie!

I hadn't thought about that, but did just try it. No magnetization at all. Here are couple more macro photos showing the surface better, as well the corner where I broke off a piece so you could see the inside.

I don't think it's a piece of pottery.

Attachments

• mystery_rock_macro_photo.jpg
    mystery_rock_macro_photo.jpg
    940.6 KB · Views: 53
  • mystery_rock_cross_section.jpg
    mystery_rock_cross_section.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 55
Upvote 0

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The close-ups help, thanks. Are there foundries in the area? It looks like it could be some sort of slag, especially with the glass-like particles. And iron slag can be non-magnetic, IIRC. One thing makes me doubt my assessment is that slag tends to have "bubbles."

How heavy is it? Do you have a scale that weighs in grams? Do you know anyone with a metal detector?

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It look to me like hematitic sandstone with a larger pebble or a concretion embedded in the stratification. Hematite itself is not magnetic. It only has that property when magnetite is present as a secondary mineral. Try a streak test on the unglazed back of a porcelain tile. Hematite will streak red to reddish-brown.

Upvote 0

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think redcoat is right on it. Go to this page - Hematite - and search for sandstone. There's a cross-section there that closely resembles yours.

Do the scratch test too. If you don't have a spare porcelain tile, just use the inside of your toilet tank cover. Or better yet, ask your neighbor to use their bathroom, and do it there, but be sure to leave a secret message like "we are watching you."

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

john17wi

Jun 20, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think redcoat is right on it. Go to this page - Hematite - and search for sandstone. There's a cross-section there that closely resembles yours.

Do the scratch test too. If you don't have a spare porcelain tile, just use the inside of your toilet tank cover. Or better yet, ask your neighbor to use their bathroom, and do it there, but be sure to leave a secret message like "we are watching you."

I'm thinking redcoat is right as well. Attached is a picture of the scratch test. Looks like it's streaking as you guys said it would. I did weigh it as well, and it's 21 grams.

If you think the weight, and scratch test strengthen your belief that it's hematite, I'll mark it as solved. Thanks guys!

Attachments

• Scratch_Test.jpg
    Scratch_Test.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 40
Upvote 0

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did weigh it as well, and it's 21 grams.

Does your scale weigh in tenths or hundredths? If so, you can easily calculate the specific gravity, which should differentiate it from limonite. It's 3.6-4.0 for limonite and 4.9-5.3 for hematite. Of course, that doesn't take into account whatever that kidney bean looking thing is. Its density could be completely different and throw the whole thing off.

If I were you...I'd get a big hammer and put it under a towel on the garage floor and bust it open to see what the kidney bean is.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking redcoat is right as well. Attached is a picture of the scratch test. Looks like it's streaking as you guys said it would. I did weigh it as well, and it's 21 grams.

If you think the weight, and scratch test strengthen your belief that it's hematite, I'll mark it as solved. Thanks guys!

BZZZZz. It's Limonite not hematite.

But that streak looks reddish rather than brownish. Or rather, to me it does.

Does your scale weigh in tenths or hundredths? If so, you can easily calculate the specific gravity, which should differentiate it from limonite. It's 3.6-4.0 for limonite and 4.9-5.3 for hematite. Of course, that doesn't take into account whatever that kidney bean looking thing is. Its density could be completely different and throw the whole thing off.

If I were you...I'd get a big hammer and put it under a towel on the garage floor and bust it open to see what the kidney bean is.

It's not unusual for iron minerals to be mixtures and the streak result will of course reflect that. If you're seeing reddishness then there will at least be some hematite and it may or may not be the dominant mineral.

Densities are only an indication unless you have a relatively pure mineral deposit. Hematite is significantly more dense than limonite but a rock specimen may not always exhibit that conclusively. What you have looks to me to be a granular sedimentary deposit with an iron mineral cement which may or may not be a mixture. Hematite is a very common cementing mineral for sandstones and they typically have the colour and appearance of your specimen.

Upvote 0

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's not unusual for iron minerals to be mixtures and the streak result will of course reflect that. If you're seeing reddishness then there will at least be some hematite and it may or may not be the dominant mineral.

Densities are only an indication unless you have a relatively pure mineral deposit. Hematite is significantly more dense than limonite but a rock specimen may not always exhibit that conclusively. What you have looks to me to be a granular sedimentary deposit with an iron mineral cement which may or may not be a mixture. Hematite is a very common cementing mineral for sandstones and they typically have the colour and appearance of your specimen.

What he said.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread