What's new

Please help with this tag

Shootncoin

Greenie
Joined
May 29, 2008
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I found this last year near Mansfield, Mass. It appears to be some type of copper tag, with "H H Johnston Mansfield Mass" on one side, and "120" on the other.
It's about 1 3/4 x 1 3/8" in size. Any idea what it could be?
Can anybody find any information on H H Johnstone?

Thanks for any help -
 

Attachments

  • Tag1a.webp
    Tag1a.webp
    20.1 KB · Views: 378
  • Tag2a.webp
    Tag2a.webp
    30 KB · Views: 372
Could be anything from an equipment tag to an ID tag from a leg hold jaw trap on a trap line ....JMHO


Nice find ...

Bill G.
 
Upvote 0
Its hand engraved on front, numbers stamped on back.
 
Upvote 0
If there ever was an H.H. Johnstone business in Mansfield, I'd guess a tool tag. And I'm not too sure if the Johnstone has an "e" on the end of spelling or not? It looks like something a tool room clerk might make up from whatever was laying around. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Is there any mining in that area, looks a bit like a mining tag.
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Is there any mining in that area, looks a bit like a mining tag.
Do you mean like a check tab Cru :dontknow:

SS
 
Upvote 0
SC, I would say trap tag as well cool find :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Is there any mining in that area, looks a bit like a mining tag.
CRU, I don't think there any mines in the area we had lead mines in the Northampton / Southampton area and copper in Connecticut the mine in Con. had tunnels. ours were surface diggins.
BK
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the ideas -
I'm not from that area so I have no idea about mines - I was there visiting my sister.
It was found next to an old foundation, and was pretty deep (I almost gave up digging for it - it was under a large root system).
What I found interesting was that one hole is open, and the other appears to have corroded iron in it. Kind of like it was nailed to something?? Just a guess.
 
Upvote 0
These 2 holed types are either nailed or riveted to something but I dont understand why it would need writing on both sides. :icon_scratch: It looks as if someone removed a numbered tag and scratched their name on the backside for use elsewhere.
 
Upvote 0
I see now it appears the 2 holes are different sizes. So it maybe came originally with one hole for a key chain, tool check or ID tag perhaps and someone nailed the other.
 
Upvote 0
Looks like "Johnston" not "Johnstone"--you may want to revise your original post so that anyone viewing your the topic will know what to search for! That looks like a nail hole rather than an "e."


Best Wishes,


Buckles
 
Upvote 0
The Grand Army of the Republic and Kindred Societies
Department of Massachusetts: Post Names and Locations (105-210)
Organized May 7, 1867

171. Henry H. Johnson Northfield
 
Upvote 0
Gypsy Heart said:
The Grand Army of the Republic and Kindred Societies
Department of Massachusetts: Post Names and Locations (105-210)
Organized May 7, 1867

171. Henry H. Johnson Northfield

:hello2:
 
Upvote 0
I think the button says Johnston. :icon_scratch:

I googled H.H. Johnston and there are a quite a few hits in connection with the Mansfield area.

Names like Henry, Harry, Howard, Hugh or Hornbuckle Johnston.
 
Upvote 0
In the 1900 Mansfield Directory there is a listing:

JOHNSTON

Harry H., laborer, h. Central

_________________________

1900 Census

Harry Johnston
Home in 1900: Mansfield, Bristol, Massachusetts
Age: 33
Birth Date: Aug 1866
Birthplace: New York
Race: White
Gender: Male
Relationship to Head of House: Head
Father's Birthplace: Canada Eng
Mother's Birthplace: Scotland
Spouse's name: Esther
Marriage Year: 1896
Marital Status: Married
Years Married: 4
Residence : Mansfield Town (West Part), Bristol, Massachusetts
 
Upvote 0
Bramblefind said:
In the 1900 Mansfield Directory there is a listing:

JOHNSTON

Harry H., laborer, h. Central

_________________________

1900 Census

Residence : Mansfield Town (West Part), Bristol, Massachusetts
there you go. :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Bramblefind said:
In the 1900 Mansfield Directory there is a listing:

JOHNSTON

Harry H., laborer, h. Central

_________________________

1900 Census

Residence : Mansfield Town (West Part), Bristol, Massachusetts
there you go. :icon_thumright:

Tool tag. :)
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom