What's new

Please.....research!

Montauk3

Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2006
Messages
907
Reaction score
20
Golden Thread
0
Location
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Read folks, read. There are probably 7000 posts on what is the best detector.

If all we do is request hand fed information, we will never be self sufficient.

I notice a lot of folks not posting like the "old" days and the "newbies" asking the same old questions over and over again.

Is it laziness, or is it just the "you owe me" factor? Or could it be the need to talk out of loneliness?

I truly hate to be a grumpy old man, but dang it, grow up and get off mom's buzzum!
 
Upvote 0
IMHO:
Many of the Qs asked here (regarding equipment and other topics) can be self-answered within a 5-minute (no special knowledge required) Google search. So, depending on the specific occasion, perhaps any one of your three proposed reasons may be the answer as to why these Qs are posted.
Don.......
 
Grumpy old men not withstanding, I too wonder why some don't do some checking things on their own too. Then too the newbies are used to being baby fed information and posting is the only way they know how to get it by asking. Trouble is everyone that can type has an opinion and some are just walking advertisements for detectors that aren't worth crap. This would be a tired place without thought of being able to help someone every once in a while.
 
maybe the mods could sticky a couple threads to the top of the forum titled "whats the best scoop" and "what's the best Detector"

We could add to as we feel needed

just a idea
 
Great idea . . . but it would never work because it is such a subjective and opinionated subject.

:-(
 
heres what we need a pro page and a novice page.novices arent allowed to ask not i should say dumb question but 1 that has been covered a couple of hundred times on the pro page.they can go to the novice page and talk about it,that would give the pro page little to no questions and just pictures of finds and such.
 
An other excellent idea!
 
I'll play devil's advocate . . . how, and who determines who is a Pro or a Novice? . . . and in what field? . . . land or water? . . . # of posts? . . . # of years detecting? . . . member votes? . . . again, good idea but too subjective in principle . . . just my .02

:-?
 
Montauk3 said:
Read folks, read. There are probably 7000 posts on what is the best detector.

If all we do is request hand fed information, we will never be self sufficient.

I notice a lot of folks not posting like the "old" days and the "newbies" asking the same old questions over and over again.

Is it laziness, or is it just the "you owe me" factor? Or could it be the need to talk out of loneliness?

I truly hate to be a grumpy old man, but dang it, grow up and get off mom's buzzum!

I tried to explain this to a certain member that kept asking questions.
I told him he could get much more info alot faster if he would just research rather than post a question then wait for a few replies.

When researching, a person is able to quickly weed thhrough the info and use what he needs and disreguard the rest.

Posting questions here and then using the few answers that you get in order to form an opinion, to me, is a complete waste of time.

On the other hand...
I think many newbies that come here have alot of questions that need answering.
But I think they also want the personal interaction and they want to be part of the group here.

So what should a member do about this?
The answer is simple... Either participate with the newbies and their questions, or, (if it bothers you) just dont participate.
 
Sandman said:
This would be a tired place without thought of being able to help someone every once in a while.

goldfever said:
Either participate with the newbies and their questions, or, (if it bothers you) just dont participate.

Correct on both counts!

:-)
 
How about having a poll on primary detector and scoop used? List them and you should see a couple that are mainly used.
That should give the new guy an idea on what is the best, straight from the people that would know the equipment more than
anyone else, including the manufacturer. They will say their machines are the best, but the people that own and have used
them in the field are the best source to find out what is good and what is junk.

We're all used to "Googling" everything and so people seem to want their answers right now. I myself spend
way too much time researching things, I need a more comfortable chair. :-\

I bought an Excalibur 2 because even though it was more expensive than anything I ever considered, I knew that if I wanted
to get into this hobby, I couldn't afford to start cheap and have to replace right away. Feels good to know I have a premier
machine. You get what you pay for applies here for sure.
 
I used to be a newbie myself, and I learned pretty early on to use the search window to get reviews on detectors. A lot of new members may not know to do that.

The other problem is that it is hard to get honest opinions. The treasure magazines won't do it since they need the advertising revenue and don't want to tick off the manufacturers by printing a bad review.

Dealer websites are worth a grain of salt because they want to sell machines and will post glowing reviews of nearly everything they carry.

Since ours is a more solitary hobby (most towns don't have clubs or the newbies don't know about them), if someone wants good advice, this is the one place they can get a variety of opinions by people who aren't advertising or pushing a product.

But I also respect your frustration. There ought to be one place where members can go on this forum and post their opinions of the pro and cons of various machines, like the metal detector review website does. Just create a list of every manufacturer and model, old and new, and those with experience post their opinions there. That way all newbies can be directed to one place and the experienced people don't have to answer the same questions over and over.

That is not to be confused with Brands section this forum already has which I always thought was limited to people who had specific questions about a specific detector that wouldn't be covered by a review.

What do you guys think?
 
Montauk3 said:
Read folks, read. There are probably 7000 posts on what is the best detector.

If all we do is request hand fed information, we will never be self sufficient.

I notice a lot of folks not posting like the "old" days and the "newbies" asking the same old questions over and over again.

Is it laziness, or is it just the "you owe me" factor? Or could it be the need to talk out of loneliness?

I truly hate to be a grumpy old man, but dang it, grow up and get off mom's buzzum!

First of all, I love all of the grumpy old men on here! I consider myself a GOM in training at age 39 and this is the best place to perfect the attitude and the lingo.

I am however a beginner. I ask a lot of questions because I do want answers quickly, and yes I am lazy. If I weren't, I would rent each type of machine and try them out.

Now, I will say that many questions seem to be repeated way too frequently. I suggest this strategy that I am currently struggling with personally.

Don't read every last response to questions that irritate you.

Click on the "I need help" strand.
Read "What type of detector should I buy?"
Then, move on.

It is hard. I know. You feel the need to see which doofus will recommend a PI to a beginner, a "Chinese" model, or if Sandman is going to tweet everyone about digging iron. I do the same. But it is time we let it go. Just stop reading the annoying threads. (You should have already clicked off this response.)

I agree with you in all things. I just wanted to throw out an alternate solution to you problem, because the irritating people in this world are unlikely to stop annoying us anytime soon.

Respectfully,

Fathead
 
I think we need a subtopic forum in "beach and shallow water"
One that we just post our finds and post small talk etc... and have fun!
The rule would be.... No asking newbie questions :)

Seriously... I come here to see what people found and what they have to say about it.
I also like the comments and the camaraderie

This would be a place for all the regulars here to do what we like to do without being bothered by the constant questions from the noobs. Lol :)

Not that newbie questions are bad necessarily.
Just a seperate place for that would be great IMO

This forum seems to attract more noobies than most of the other forums here.
I think we need an intervention :)
 
The problem I have found with the "search" engine on this board is that when you want SPECIFIC info on a subject, i.e., "Making your own straight shaft" or even narrowing it down to "straight shaft", it brings up a gazillion posts wherever "straight" or "shaft" were mentioned.. That makes it frustrating, especially for those really anxious to "jump right in" to the hobby...
Another thing, and especially in my case, is that although I scour the web for information and opinions/reviews on the hobby, I always tend to come back here where I trust (and know a few) people...
Lastly, some people (we know who we are) are just grumpy, and look for any reason to be miffed at someone, especially "noobs"... That will never change..
I can never understand why anyone would take the time and energy to create a new post complaining about something they have absolute power over.... You dont like reading stupid or repeated questions? DONT CLICK ON THE THREAD! It's as simple as that..

End of my possibly wrong, but honest opinion....
 
I'm probably one of the people who you are complaining about. I certainly asked my "what's the best detector" question. Guilty as charged :hello: I do agree that there should be a sub forum or at least a sticky. On other forums that I visit (not treasure or MD related) There are FAQ stickies. Someone with a little knowledge and time on their hands, goes through back threads or remembers the standard questions that get asked 12 times a week and writes up a synopsis. Include relevant links to additional threads and so on. I'm far from experienced as I'm probably the youngest/newest guy on here but I'd be willing to do it if people thought it to be necessary. I try to search before posting but often come across the same three threads regardless of the wording I use and none directly answer my question so... I end up posting.

Also, and I kind of started this today... There should be a DIY section for those who might be interested in building their own equipment. Things such as scoops, straight shafts, and mounts could be shown. Members who have built their own gear could post how to's and pictures and that way, newbies like me wouldn't have to annoy you. Something like a step by step with photos on how to do something would be GREATLY helpful to noobs like myself. I understand the time involved and that there really isn't a pay off but... it's a forum. People who stick around on these things usually do so cause they like helping people out or encouraging others. What better way to do it? Plus... it will alleviate some of the obnoxious repeat questions. Just my .02 of course. Thanks for all the help I've gotten on here so far... even though most of it probably has been asked before :tongue3:
 
ArmyDiver said:
Someone with a little knowledge and time on their hands, goes through back threads or remembers the standard questions that get asked 12 times a week and writes up a synopsis. Include relevant links to additional threads and so on.
It wouldnt make the questions go away.... Many would use it, but people would still ask questions, and members would be pointing out that section and getting angry... People are people...
There should be a DIY section for those who might be interested in building their own equipment.
There already is, but sadly, not all that many posts in it.... I wanted info on building my own straight shaft, and that is right where I went, and not one post in there on methods and/or photos... It would sure be nice though if it were chock full of great posts and pictures, it might just help with the questions, and would surely ease the frustration so many of us have when wanting to learn but cant seem to nail down the info...
 
Suggest sending a newbie to the park with a PI is priceless. :laughing7: Why didn't I think of that on my grumpy days.
 
Sandman you are a man after my own heart! I was thinking about loaning a few of them
my SD2200d with the 18" coil so as they wouldn't miss ANYTHING! Maybe you could
loan them your most favorite Walmart garden trowel so them wouldn't have to drag
that old heavy #2 long handle drag line. Might even concider throwing in my almost
like new copy of CVMs " Park and Lawn Digging For Dummies " .
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom