What's new

Plummets

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2008
Messages
7,826
Reaction score
7,076
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(I was asked to show some of my older pieces so I'm going to bump up a few of my posts so they can see them rather than post them again)




Adam Agusti and I were discussing Plummets on Facebook and I took some new pictures of mine to show him so I thought I might as well post them here as well. All of these are personal finds except for two of them.

In the 2nd picture the one laying sideways in the top row and the one to the far right in the middle row are not personal finds. The top one I got in a collection I bought when I was 17 and it was first time I had ever seen a Plummet and had no clue what it was. The other was a gift from my sister in law for helping her get her fathers collection in order after he passed away. All others are personal finds.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0001.webp
    DSC_0001.webp
    23.8 KB · Views: 211
  • DSC_0003.webp
    DSC_0003.webp
    41.6 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC_0004.webp
    DSC_0004.webp
    46.8 KB · Views: 175
  • DSC_0005.webp
    DSC_0005.webp
    53.6 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC_0006.webp
    DSC_0006.webp
    42.3 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC_0007.webp
    DSC_0007.webp
    32.6 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Upvote 0
hey reap
i always think when i see these plummets that
even though they are found all over, we in ND have never found one
the closest thing as far as looks go would be a sandstone fishing sinker....which is clearly not a plummet
i wonder why it's like that?
 
Here is a personal find from white county Indiana. It is 3 3/4 inches long. I do remember a neighbor of my grand parents finding one on the their property also (not as nice). It's the only other one I know of that was found from that county and it wasn't found that far from mine, about a half of a mile.
IMG_0670.webp
IMG_0667.webp
IMG_0668.webp
 
That sure is well made. What do you think the flat spot you photographed is from?
 
That sure is well made. What do you think the flat spot you photographed is from?

It has been hit multiple times at the same spot at the very bottom. I would image maybe a type of weighing devise?Like back in the old days when they would weigh gold coins. Makes me wonder what the natives would weigh in order to have the same amount every time? Ochre or herb?
 
Ahhhh... very interesting.
 
It has been hit multiple times at the same spot at the very bottom. I would image maybe a type of weighing devise?Like back in the old days when they would weigh gold coins. Makes me wonder what the natives would weigh in order to have the same amount every time? Ochre or herb?

yup or
maybe IT hit something or was used to grind up some medicine or something?

i sure don't know
 
Grim Reaper,

What a great collection, I would find it hard to ever want to go to work for a living if I kept finding artifacts as such. You live in an amazing part of the Country and the history that lies buried within her soils would keep me from ever going to work. Congrats and thanks for sharing. By the way wife says OH !!!

Where I live on the coast of Florida produces plummets...the example of shell plummet shown is of the highest quality and condition to be found along the treasure coast with the right lighting it casts a pinkish hue. The paleontologists who have seen this and held it...have offered me whatever I want in trade for it numerous times. I will not part of it...it is part of the area I live and will stay here.

Thanks for sharing.
Trez


plummet 013.webpplummet 016.webp
 
Last edited:
That is an amazing piece.Looks like Jega work... super find!
 
Last edited:
wow that is absolutely of such intense quality
in my very limited knowledge of a plummet is way over the top of anything i can imagine

it is so nice it reminds me ivory in a way
thanks for posting
 
Grim Reaper,

What a great collection, I would find it hard to ever want to go to work for a living if I kept finding artifacts as such. You live in an amazing part of the Country and the history that lies buried within her soils would keep me from ever going to work. Congrats and thanks for sharing. By the way wife says OH !!!

Where I live on the coast of Florida produces plummets...the example of shell plummet shown is of the highest quality and condition to be found along the treasure coast with the right lighting it casts a pinkish hue. The paleontologists who have seen this and held it...have offered me whatever I want in trade for it numerous times. I will not part of it...it is part of the area I live and will stay here.

Thanks for sharing.
Trez


View attachment 713392View attachment 713395

i just gotta say


so shiny and i know it is not ivory but that is a special piece Trez

all those plummets seem very cool since it is a mystery as to their use or purpose
 
That is the nicest shell artifact I have ever seen.
 
When viewing these varieties of plummets you can see that some were definetly way more ornamental than need be for a fish weight.Some of them in my opinion were amulets. All my plummets like all my gouges and basically all my artifacts were found no farther than ten yards from water.most closer than that.
 
I think I have mentioned this before, but I still think that they were hung from a pole or branch. If there was water on it, it was raining. :dontknow: If it was swinging back and forth, it was windy. :dontknow: If it was dry, it was a nice day out. :dontknow: :laughing7:
 
Last edited:
I think I have mentioned this before, but I still think that they were hung from a pole or branch. If there was water on it, it was raining. :dontknow: If it was swinging back and forth, it was windy. :dontknow: If it was dry, it was a nice day out. :dontknow: :laughing7:

you have solved the mystery
i knew you could do it!
 
I found this before I found my first arrowhead while metal detecting.

j7awhs.jpg
 
yup or
maybe IT hit something or was used to grind up some medicine or something?

i sure don't know

These are not the standard pecks you normally see. They are more like fine "tinks" over an expanded length of time. It is not a very deep flat spot either.
 
I gotta say it makes me think of it tapping the ground while hung to spin fiber into thread.
 
Very,Very Nice plummets Trez, Reap, and White....Wow!!!.......Wow Reap nice collection of plummets:notworthy:...............GTP
 
Hey I chipped in too. Ha ha

ForumRunner_20121217_204511.webp



ForumRunner_20121217_204707.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom