What's new

Point found today

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2013
Messages
2,882
Reaction score
3,005
Golden Thread
0
Location
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this today in the creek in a sand bar along with a small pottery shard...just floated up and said "it's your lucky day!" lol Seriously though, any thoughts on what type of point is appreciated.

The pic is not too good but I'm always done after dark and take the pics inside.
 

Attachments

  • 100_7159.webp
    100_7159.webp
    63.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 100_7160.webp
    100_7160.webp
    79.5 KB · Views: 98
Upvote 0
Nice Find! :icon_thumright: It's difficult to say without a base to it. It may also may be part of a knife.
 
I think you might have a stem to a larger stemmed point.
Is the other side worked?
 
not sure what point it is but sure is symmetrical
 
The bottom portion in the photo is broken..its not a complete piece.
 
Go over that area real well.
There's more. :-)
 
I know you will.
One big storm..or flood Mabey a fallen tree..can expose alot.. or just by chance you will find the concentration of artifacts.
Its there somewhere ..they stayed long enough to make pottery and probably used the site many times if it was a good one.
One trick some of us used down here for locating middens was to find the types of plants that tend to grow on them..some are almost specialized for growing in the type of soil a trash pile creates.
Maybe you could do that there.
 
One day I will find that entire campsite!

Have you tried Google Earth yet? It really helps to know the area and it has a time frame that you can use to go all the way back to 1992. Its a real nice tool to use to see the lay of the land. Nice point tip, rock
 
Civil war Atlas of the area can tell you alot too.
 
You can find many online.
 
Maybe put a link up for her and me?

Just use whatever search engine you have on your computer and type in the search term " Civil War Atlas"
 
Nice find Peaches,
You have a good eye and I hope you find that camp site.
Man, I wish it wasn't broken...congrats and great job.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom