Poop tube clean out

Jakel

Mar 31, 2014
Edmonton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am new to prospecting and need some help. I have gone to the river and classified gold baring dirt through a 20mesh into a bucket. Now I have brought it home and after watching you tube videos I have built a milers table and poop tube. I found it was taking forever to extract the gold on the table so I build the poop tube today. My question is: how often should I be cleaning out the tube? I have two 5 g pails sitting and want to run them. My goal is to get enough gold to purchase a prospectors license so I can bring a sluice to the river(which I am making myself)

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd say first try running all 10 gal thru the little sluice at once, then run what it catches on the table. Set aside whatever gold you get.

Then run half the material thru those steps again and see if you catch anything at all. If yes, run the rest, if no...you are done...and I'll bet that's what you find.

However if you have lots of heavy iron sand which fills all the tube riffles, you may find some gold the second time...depends on the paydirt you are running.

PS good luck and good gold to you!

PPS what state/city are you in?

OP
OP
Jakel

Jakel

Mar 31, 2014
Edmonton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks a bunch. I'm in Edmonton Alberta Canada. I got the dirt from the north Saskatchewan river.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks a bunch. I'm in Edmonton Alberta Canada. I got the dirt from the north Saskatchewan river.
Oops, should have asked what state/province/etc ...didn't mean to be soooo US centric there. Again best of luck!

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How much black sand are you working with in your concentrates?

That usually determines how fast or how slow you'll be able to run your concentrates. (Do you use a magnet to cut down your black sand concentrations? If so, be careful with that flour gold that you're not pulling that small gold right up with the black sands.)

Always test what's coming out the end of your tube to see if you're running your material too fast.

Good luck, and post a pic of that North Saskatchewan gold when you're done.

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

OP
OP
Jakel

Jakel

Mar 31, 2014
Edmonton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I ran the first 5g bucket through the sluice and I see there was a lot of black sand trapped I the riffles. I actually cleaned the sluice 4 or 5 times during this process because I got paranoid of loosing gold out the end. I did not use a magnet yet because I read somewhere I should only do that at the end to pick out the little bit of black sand in the recovered gold. I did do some test to see if I was losing out the end and it didn't appear I was. But at one point I let it run while I was eating diner which I later found out that ur not supposed to let it run long periods of time befor feeding a because the gold will was out. I've actually did some more research on my home made milers table and I'm contemplating using it rather than just back washing in my square le trap pan (which I'm still learning to use) because of this book I'm reading called "the modern gold seekers manual" he says he didn't like the table because he had to run his material several times to capture all his gold. I plan on doing something today...just don't know if it will be the table or the pan lol. Any thought?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like you are learning every step of the way, which is good. Spending time refining your panning skills is important so how about panning the results of your sluicing and then running the material on the miller table to see what you missed with the panning?

Similarly, try removing the iron sand at the very beginning of the process, then run that material separately to see how much gold got trapped in there.

Knowledge building and gold getting :)

OP
OP
Jakel

Jakel

Mar 31, 2014
Edmonton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah that's sounds like a good idea. Practice makes perfect. In regards to using the magnet at the beginning, I will do that now. It makes sense to take out the heavy sands to make room for the gold. Thanks for the advice.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you use a magnet, don't just push it into the black sand as you will get a big ball of magnetite on your magnet, and since you're after flour gold, it will pull the gold up in the ball of black sands. Instead, take your magnet and spin it in small circles and move it above your black sands in a circular motion. Move around the pan doing this several times, dropping the magnet a bit lower with each pass. Be sure you've got your sands in a wide-bottomed pan so that they're in as thin a layer as you can, especially with flour gold. In this manner, you will get black sand that's lighter to jump first, with little chance of the gold jumping in a clump of black sand.

Experiment and keep at it, and eventually you'll be able to do it smoothly, and as Kevin says, test the "magneted" sands to see if you pulled any gold along with them.

It's a learning curve like anything else, but you'll figure it out. (Is your magnet covered in plastic or something else so you can get the sands to drop off easily?)

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny's advice is great as always. I would just add that you should have an inch or so of water in that wide bottomed pan when you are waving the magnet over it...that also helps a lot to keep the gold in the pan.

Also, rather than a plastic bag over my magnet, I use a yogurt container. I also glued a bolt to the magnet as a poor man's handle to make it easy to list out of the yogurt container.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny's advice is great as always. I would just add that you should have an inch or so of water in that wide bottomed pan when you are waving the magnet over it...that also helps a lot to keep the gold in the pan.

Also, rather than a plastic bag over my magnet, I use a yogurt container. I also glued a bolt to the magnet as a poor man's handle to make it easy to list out of the yogurt container.

You know, I did forget to mention that you want to have your concentrates covered with water, and if it's flour gold, I'd have two or more inches of water over those concentrates.

Thanks Kevin for inserting that essential element.

All the best,

Lanny

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
image-2419401407.jpg

Magnet sitting next to its yogurt cup :)

OP
OP
Jakel

Jakel

Mar 31, 2014
Edmonton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
image-459964679.jpg

That's about how much I'm putting on the table and second pick is what stays behind. I'm finding little pinkish colored gemstones too I think lol

Attachments

• image-3905318801.jpg
    image-3905318801.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 90

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Impressive start, congrats!

OP
OP
Jakel

Jakel

Mar 31, 2014
Edmonton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you. That's about half of the cons from 1 bucket. I went and got another one today so I have 2 more 5g buckets to put through the finishing sluice then on to the table again lol. One again, thanks for the advice.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Those little colored stones, if they're from the North Saskatchewan, are more than likely various colors of garnets.

Nice little catch of flour gold you've got there. Very bright and pretty, quite true to form for glacial flour gold.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Jakel

Jakel

Mar 31, 2014
Edmonton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes that's what I was thinking after reading a bit. The gold is shinny :) I need to get my prospectors license so I can get more gold in my dirt rather than just classifying in a bucket. I was thinking about a rocker box for now until I can build a high banker.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread