Poor Farm Findings

austin2012

Oct 19, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After some extensive hiking and hacking through the woods, I come across the cellar holes of the old farm house property. As I dig deeper into the thickets, I come across springs for beds and melted glass scattered across the ground, along with other metal pieces. This is where it gets good, as I continue deeper into what was underneath the house; I get a signal and then another. As I begin to dig I come across little glass bits of bottles and porcelain plates, couldn't be a trash hole without silverware and that came next and then something extremely weird....a wallet...I couldn't believe it??:icon_scratch: I continued digging in hopes of finding more but as I dug along all i found were more glass bits :/

A break was then commenced because damn it was hot (80+ degrees in a buggy thicket)

As I continued through the bush, it became more apparent that I must be behind the farm house, scrap metal was just laying on the service and bricks lie in heaps in the ground. I kept sweeping in hopes of a good signal and bam! I bent down and started digging, the shovel hit the dirt and thud! I hit something it seemed like; as I uncovered what was lying in the ground I would've never expected this sort of thing to survive....

A Porcelain IGA sign, in fantastic condition.

This site also has an extensive trash heap behind the house with bottles and old car parts everywhere, Its insane.

IMG_3637.JPG IMG_3638.JPG IMG_3639.JPG

A little bit of background history about the property, Acquired by the town in 1846 became a poor farm for the town and housed and fed the homeless until the 1940's. In 1960, it caught fire and burned to the ground. More pics coming tomorrow, I am dead.:icon_thumright::icon_thumright:

Upvote 9

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool sign! Was anything in the wallet?

OP
OP
A

austin2012

Oct 19, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A little locket dated 1954, unfortunately when I opened the pocket where it was everything sorta fell apart in a mush :/

OP
OP
A

austin2012

Oct 19, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you so much, And I'm hooked and headed there tomorrow morning for more! So stay tuned!

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
IGA is a grocery store on east end of Long Island.
Are you around there?

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
David is correct - we had one in Rochester Minnesota when I was a kid.................Though I suppose IGA acronym could have stood for other things also?

OP
OP
A

austin2012

Oct 19, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live in Vermont, this is the first I've ever heard of IGA. Thank you guys!!!!

OP
OP
A

austin2012

Oct 19, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update: Unfortunately it's going to rain all day today so today is off [emoji20]

pen

Apr 7, 2015
Ardmore, AL
Detector(s) used
Deus, AT Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked at an IGA growing up in Illinois. It stands for Independent Grocer's Alliance. Very cool sign!

OP
OP
A

austin2012

Oct 19, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome! I totally thought it was International Grocer's Alliance, thank you pen!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread