M

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks much for your in-put. i have been hearing good things about them but wanted to get alittle more info. take care and be safe out there. ron

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll agree with Gator-Flea, it is so much better than trying to bring along your house, I had to learn the hard-way.

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
i think pop ups a great in fair weather. i slept in one during a windy wintery night. trailer was rocked all over the place, wind came through the canvas flaps and the heater was on but just laughed at us. from now on i always bring a -30 degree bag.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Let me tell you something from a camper who as tried almost every method to camp :D
Pop up's in my opinion are FANTASTIC!

Nothing too big and of course enough clearance to get you through the sticks if you want to get in the bush.
We love to tent camp but, there are times it is nice to get deep in the bush with a med sized pop up.
People tend to go too big and not be able to get where they want to.....Just like Fishing boats eh?
Some guys want the yacht's but, if aint trailerable it aint worth a dam. ;D

The one below no matter how much money I have is "Just fine"
One for sale c-list http://westslope.craigslist.org/rvs/1733136868.html

Attachments

• ChaletExterior.jpg
    ChaletExterior.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 15,525
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 2,252

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thats one nice pop up, looks like its all hard shelled, not just nets.. I have never seen one like that one..NICE... my biggest fear on the other popups was my luck being in bear country.. thats why I wanted a hard shell, with door, ( ok you can laugh) like a travel trailer or small rv.

OP
OP
M

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4-H, nice pop-up and looks like it is comfortable.
also, i understand about bears and not sure if a pop-up would be safe enough.
thanks much for the pictures and the link.
take care and be safe out there. ron

Miningtown

Apr 22, 2009
Argyle, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 DI PRO sl, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Pop ups are a blast...had one for years..easy towing easy to store..the only downside is the storage of the junk that you bring..it's hard to access with it down.. we moved up to a hybrid..half pop up half hardside and love it. a little more comfortable since it has a real bathroom. As far as bears..if they want they will tear through any camper like a paper bag...Anyway you go you'll have fun.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
I hope to have a popup by next summer they look great and are plenty for what I need. Just going to be me and maybe one other person at a time so don't need much more than that. I like the slide out sides for beds because that leaves the rest for sitting and such without the hassle of putting the table down into a bed.

OP
OP
M

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
miningtown, what is the name of the hybrid that you have? i would like into
them and get more information. if you can give me more info. i would appreciate
it. thanks much and be carefull out there. ron

mjido

Aug 14, 2007
Western New Mexico
I would also be interested in the hybrid you have. At present we have a pop up small but nice. We started out with a pop up and then to a 24 foot class c, and then to a 34 foot class a motorhome, and now back to a pop up. The motorhomes were real nice, but the pop up are a heck of a lot more fun when camping, feels more like you are roughing it.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shoot 4-H that link didnt work..but I am curious as how much that hard shell pop up is.. my goal is to have a small rv or small camper ( hardshell) yes, I am worry wart, I just would feel safer with my shotgun and being inside a hard shell camper then one with nets..it would be my luck to be in bear/mt. lion areas..least in a hard shell one I got a better chance of hearing em coming or trying to break in..those netted ones..naw...not for me... I dont wanna wake up in a bears mouth. yea yea am strange but thats my feelings on it.. and I know how my luck is too...

quaidmon

Apr 8, 2007
New Jersey
My folks had pop ups for years, at least 4 different ones. They started with one that slept 6 and ended up with a 2 person. The last camper they had was a 13 foot all fiberglass Scamp. Even that is too big for me so I'm starting to build a teardrop trailer.

Miningtown

Apr 22, 2009
Argyle, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 DI PRO sl, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Maui... the hybrid that I have is a KZ Coyote 23. It has 3 fold out bed ends and a slide out couch. Just got back from a 2.5 week vacation in it and no real issues. The water hoses and connections are cheap plastic and had to tighten a few, but most I looked at were the same, to keep the weight down.
It took about 15 min to set up and 25 to pack up, but very convenient with all the junk one brings camping for a long time with 2 kids.

I too was worried about bears, but there were campers all around me who were a lot more careless about food etc in tents..so I foolishly assumed that they would be victims sooner than I.

What ever choice you make, enjoy, they all are a lot of fun. Let me know if you have any more questions.

OP
OP
M

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mining town, thanks much for the info. on the pop ups, i will check it out.
good to hear that you did'nt have any bear problems while you were camping. i agree with
you on the fact that i would also think that any bear would tend to bother the people that
are tent camping before it would bother ypu in a trailer, i may be wrong though.
take care, enjoy and be safe out there. ron

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
I own a large camper 1970 Avion they are the ones that are made from aircraft al they are light weight but I refuse to buy a machine to tow it. I have it set in my yard and use it as my mancave or dog house I go out there to read listen to radio or just be alone. It is an ace in the hole too should we loose our home to fire we can go to the camper. I can't say wind loss because the camper is next to the home and I loose the home I probably will loose the camper. Push came to shove and I saw a storm that is almost guaranteed to destroy my home I might be the type to rent a truck to tow somewhere save my camper and return home to rebuild with my camper.

Here is the delima where I live we have mandatory insurance and say I get a truck just to pull the camper I would have to either pay for year around insurance coverage or I would have to go to the DMV turn in the tag every time I dropped the insurance (to save money) then when I wanted to take a camping trip I would have to go get the tag again and each time you do this you are paying taxes but my retarded state will not count last payment toward next if you drop your insurance and turn in the tag you have to pay the full assessed amount every time the cost to insure the vehicle would cost more than it would cost you to get a high quality motel when you go somewhere. What happens is people end up driving around too much engine to cover every day task resulting in some serious wealth wounds resulting in their having to work more to cover the fuel for a vehicle that is over powered for their daily life. If they used their heads and planned this they would notice that they could get a much higher quality of life by going with an economy car and just paying the motel. If you don't want to go motel pay the cabin rent but never get the mammoth ride to tow something and find that you rarely ever get out there and are just driving a huge v8 for a towing job you never do.
I have seen someone towing a pop up with a prius that makes a lot of sense to me since the prius is like having a car with the economy of a motorcycle true the car gets better mpg than many of the motorcycles you see on the road. Sure I can't 0-60 like the 1200 cc motorcycle but I can get 38 mpg at 80 mph 450 mile range at that speed. Do that all day long hot cold rain (I would slow in rain for safety resulting in greater economy) with family in tow playing with the laptop watching movies listening to music or just reading books. When the prius is 65 mph we get 45 mpg. 55 gets almost 60 mpg but who wants to do that sure if we could we would but for now fuel is priced where we can afford the greater speeds eventually that will change and sooner than the experts let on they say they are optimistic fuel will be affordable but I think they are resetting their portfolio before the masses do the same.
Economy is king never incur massive debt to tow a camper or boat there are many solutions that just make sense even renting if you must but too many people invest in the stuff and as a result never get the time to enjoy that which they bought.
I bought my camper for $2k it has 4 tires and it is not fully self contained but has stove shower hot water some water storage AC heater well insulated about only thing lacking is generator that can be an easy fix I would perfer a diesel since the fuel is less finicky and gas powered ones are.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread