popping coins with a screwdriver

works for shallow clad (up to 3 or 4"?) but not for deeper coins. By the time you make an attempt at deeper stuff, you'll end up thinking "gee a plug would've been easier and neater ::) The easiest way to get the hang of it, is to start by probing with a flat blade long slender screwdriver. Probe until you hit it, and then just fish it out with your fingers. That will, of course, scratch the h*ck out of it, so start with areas where the shallow stuff is sure to be clad. After getting a bunch out thiis way, you'll eventually learn to do it without hitting/scratching it to begin with, since you'll have had ample practice on the approx. whereabouts by practicing with clad.

I have heard that an aluminum crochet needle works good with no scratching, but have never tried it.

Grey

I don't pop a lot of coins Mostly look for deeper silver but that depends on your spot .
When i do i use my hand held pinpointer to hit it dead on.
As stated above after 3 or 4 inches you are better off with a plug HH Mike

Another idea would be to use a solid fiberglass rod for a probe, as being a non metal tool to work best with a detector, while also lessening the scratch factor.

Much of the success of popping coins has to do with the type of earth you are probing.

Good luck!

Here's a couple of tools givent to me by an old timer several months ago. The round brass tip keeps from damaging the coin and the flattened one serves to lift the coin out of the ground. Monty

Attachments

• Spring Break 2009.jpg
    Spring Break 2009.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 454
  • Spring Break 2009.jpg
    Spring Break 2009.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 431
I use a flat blade screwdriver that I filed the edges round to prevent gouging the coin. I probe gently until I touch the coin and then I rotate the screwdriver around until the hole is slightly larger. Then, I move the screwdriver either left or right until it drops off the coin. I then push the screwdriver deeper until it is under the coin and then I pop it up. Sometimes it comes out of the ground and if it does not come out, I stick my finger in and feel for the coin. You are right on the money so to speak about damaging the grasss lawns of parks and schools. If you have to dig deeper for a coin, learn to dig a three sided plug and use a drop cloth to catch all of the loose dirt that you remove. Most time when you leave a hinge on a plug, the grass will not die. I have known some oldtimers that can retrieve a coin from six plus inches with nothing more than a screwdriver. What ever method you use, get good at it and respect the property or we will all be looking for places to hunt. R.L.

I sometimes us a brass rod as Monty suggests and if it is shallow enough I can use the screw driver to pop it out depending on the type of ground of course and the depth of the coin. Not all my detectors have a depth reading and many times if it is to deep and a plug is needed, I just leave it unless I am in a field or woods where a plug won't harm the grass lawn.

I use a brass tool, similar to Monty's, and an M-16 bayonet. Locate coin, move over a little and make a half moon cut and lift coin out with fingers. After practice it's really fast! It is also helpful it you have 6 inch thumb and forefinger. Ha

LXKid.jpg

I didn't want to mention the use of a bayonet as I sometime use that instead of the screwdriver. The bayonet can detect a pull tab or a ring lots easier than the screwdriver and pop it out of the ground. Sometimes I will only probe for the pull tab readings. I get a lot of pull tabs this way, but not all are those tabs. ::)

I like the bayonet because so far I haven't broke it. It does a neat job on shallow finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back