tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is something I picked up today at a thrift shop. The reason I bought this was because it's beautifully decorated by someone who I believe was very skilled at hand painting porcelain. I do not believe it is a transfer print. Also, got it, because my curiosity had turned to a desire to own it and take it home. I think its rather old and I'd sure like to know any thing more on what this image represents and any ideas of its age?

Only words on it that I believe I've translated by an online Latin to English translator is Virtut (Power) Semper (Always) Corona (Crown)

The flags with Blue on top, White in the center and Red on the bottom must be that of France I can only think.

There is writing over the coat of arms that I'm unable to translate that reads, what looks like: Nessovia Sei's Pamier. It appears hand painted with a very fine tip paint brush. I'm thinking it's a moto for something, some place or some family name? The porcelain cup has no makers mark.

Attachments

• 20230314_180425.jpg
    20230314_180425.jpg
    820.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 20230314_180442.jpg
    20230314_180442.jpg
    472.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 20230314_180508.jpg
    20230314_180508.jpg
    456.7 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nassovia sei's panier got a couple hits but not in english. seems military .

Upvote 1
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not exact, but may be a hint anyway.
Gosh! I'm color blind. It's Blue, Gray & Orange. So it's a Catholic student fraternity formed in Frankfurt. I should probably get it out of the house. My Brandenburg ancestors came to America in the mid 18th century over their Protestant beliefs and insults hurled at the Brandenburgs who held true to Catholicism. Threats were made, land was taken away and off to Holland they ran to board a ship to Philadelphia.

Upvote 3

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool looking cup.

That's the coat of arms for the student fraternity known as "The Corps Nassovia Würzburg" in the Kösener Senioren-Convents-Verband (KSCV). It's the second-oldest umbrella organization of student corporations in Germany, Austria and Switzerland (est. 1848). Nassovia unites students and former students of the Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg and, more recently, the University of Applied Sciences Würzburg-Schweinfurt. Its members are called "Würzburg Nassauer".

The mottoes are "Nassovia sei’s Panier!" (Nassovia let it be known!) and "Virtuti semper corona!" (strength is always a crown!).

Nassonia.jpg

Upvote 7

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like it.

Upvote 1

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Gosh! I'm color blind. It's Blue, Gray & Orange. So it's a Catholic student fraternity formed in Frankfurt. I should probably get it out of the house. My Brandenburg ancestors came to America in the mid 18th century over their Protestant beliefs and insults hurled at the Brandenburgs who held true to Catholicism. Threats were made, land was taken away and off to Holland they ran to board a ship to Philadelphia.

Ditto with my family, Germany to Holland to the US in the 1700. They either sailed from Rotterdam or on a ship called the Rotterdam. I have to pull the book out and look.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ditto with my family, Germany to Holland to the US in the 1700. They either sailed from Rotterdam or on a ship called the Rotterdam. I have to pull the book out and look.
There were two ship my 6th granddaddy may have been on, One I recall is a ship called the Two Brothers. Being he was thought to be around 14 years of age, he wasn't required to sign an oath, but three other older Brandenburg males did around 1747 that he was believed to have been with once they arrived. My 6th grands name was Jacob Samuel Brandenburg. He did around 1770s run a Inn & Tavern in Hagerstown, MD.

Upvote 3
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool looking cup.

That's the coat of arms for the student fraternity known as "The Corps Nassovia Würzburg" in the Kösener Senioren-Convents-Verband (KSCV). It's the second-oldest umbrella organization of student corporations in Germany, Austria and Switzerland (est. 1848). Nassovia unites students and former students of the Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg and, more recently, the University of Applied Sciences Würzburg-Schweinfurt. Its members are called "Würzburg Nassauer".

The mottoes are "Nassovia sei’s Panier!" (Nassovia let it be known!) and "Virtuti semper corona!" (strength is always a crown!).

View attachment 2074164
As I expected you did it RC, Thank you!

Upvote 1

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
There were two ship my 6th granddaddy may have been on, One I recall is a ship called the Two Brothers. Being he was thought to be around 14 years of age, he wasn't required to sign an oath, but three other older Brandenburg males did around 1747 that he was believed to have been with once they arrived. My 6th grands name was Jacob Samuel Brandenburg. He did around 1770s run a Inn & Tavern in Hagerstown, MD.

My 6 great grand father (Johann Christian Bernhardt I, 15 Apr 1719-10 Aug 1799) sailed in 1749 from Rotterdam on the ship Edinburgh for Pennsylvania, got married and then a few years later moved to North Carolina. One of descendents started Bernhardt Furniture that is still in operation in Lenoir, NC.

Last edited:
Upvote 2
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 6 great grand father (Johann Christian Bernhardt I, 15 Apr 1719-10 Aug 1799) sailed in 1749 from Rotterdam on the ship Edinburgh for Pennsylvania, got married and then a few years later moved to North Carolina. One of descendents started Bernhardt Furniture that is still in operation in Lenoir, NC.
Interesting to know your ancestors have been in this country before it was a nation. My 6th Jacob Brandenburg son was named Anthony Brandenburg b. 1762 or about in Germantown PA. I found information were in 1833 he appeared at a hearing to establish the fact that he was entitled to a military pension for his service during the Revolutionary War. It's rather interesting to read the words that my 5th grandad Anthony recalls from his service at around the time he would've been 71 years of age. The original document is in Warren County Ohio and one day I hope I can see them and where he with his hand marked it with an X. Anthony's 1st Son Henry Harrison Brandenburg was my 4th Grand. He had a son Henry Jackson Brandenburg who was my 3rd grand, who had a son Rufus Brandenburg which was my grate and his son Ira Brandenburg who I remember riding on his shoulders was the father of my Father Bill C Brandenburg.

Attachments

• IMG_20191227_073327.jpg
    IMG_20191227_073327.jpg
    591.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20191227_074052.jpg
    IMG_20191227_074052.jpg
    962.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210124_053603.jpg
    20210124_053603.jpg
    690.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200417_190904.jpg
    20200417_190904.jpg
    639.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200417_191005.jpg
    20200417_191005.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
Upvote 2

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting to know your ancestors have been in this country before it was a nation. My 6th Jacob Brandenburg son was named Anthony Brandenburg b. 1762 or about in Germantown PA. I found information were in 1833 he appeared at a hearing to establish the fact that he was entitled to a military pension for his service during the Revolutionary War. It's rather interesting to read the words that my 5th grandad Anthony recalls from his service at around the time he would've been 71 years of age. The original document is in Warren County Ohio and one day I hope I can see them and where he with his hand marked it with an X. Anthony's 1st Son Henry Harrison Brandenburg was my 4th Grand. He had a son Henry Jackson Brandenburg who was my 3rd grand, who had a son Rufus Brandenburg which was my grate and his son Ira Brandenburg who I remember riding on his shoulders was the father of my Father Bill C Brandenburg.

For us it's easy on figuring out who and where. The family paid for Genealogists to pour through the family's documents, bibles, official records, etc and have a book published. The book is updated every so often, and is now available in a digital format also.

The book starts out in 1575, but with the advent of the internet and genealogy sites, I've managed to go back another 4 generations prior to that.

20230315_153616.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread