What's new

Possible Axe Head?

JC1

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2015
Messages
41
Reaction score
90
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wondering if this might be an axe 1-2.webp2.webp3.webp
 
Upvote 0
Sorry to say but I believe it is a natural. There are no real signs of being worked. steve
 
Looks like fractured Limestone
 
It looks like a cobble that has some of it broken off but you never know if it had been used as some kind of pounding tool. Either way maybe you will find the other part of it and you can always do what I do with the cobbles and use them as yard decor. It might even have some plant fossils on/in it so be sure and look real close.
 
I would lean more toward large uni-face flake knife, or scraper that hadn't been re-sharpened.

Under magnification, what I would call the bit, or blade looks like it has some use wear to me. Did you pick it up where you find other artifacts?
 
I would lean more toward large uni-face flake knife, or scraper that hadn't been re-sharpened.

Under magnification, what I would call the bit, or blade looks like it has some use wear to me. Did you pick it up where you find other artifacts?

Yes I found it where I find a ton of other artifacts. Mostly waste flakes.
 
convenient cracked rock tool. but not an axe head.
 
What would be the bit is not honed at all, making it just a broken rock, not an axe.
 
Looks like an unfinished scraper or chopper. jmo.
 
yes i think they used alot of rocks that do not meet the demands of what we like to call an artifact.
 
Here is one that is just barley a scraper. Crude and old. I have more like this. Its wet so you can see the color if it was dry it looks very crusty from patina.
 

Attachments

  • SDC10005.webp
    SDC10005.webp
    357 KB · Views: 77
  • SDC10006.webp
    SDC10006.webp
    577.2 KB · Views: 110
  • SDC10007.webp
    SDC10007.webp
    304.1 KB · Views: 104
I feel compelled to post this.. I found this just a short distance away from where I found this completed celt.. Its the same basalt type material.
The closest outcrop of this type material to me is hundreds of miles away in a completely different state
 
The original pictures in this thread could possibly be what the call a Teshua (spelling..???) here in Pa., you find them along the rivers, however, there a A LOT of conveniently broken rocks likes these. Sooo... You need to look for 2 slight notches typically, and also, as mentioned earlier, the bit end will have use wear/polishing... Otherwise, its another leaverite.
 
That's a pretty well known specimen in your avatar photo PADirtDigger are you the proud owner these days?
 
I have it tattooed on my leg actually. Valerie Waldorf did the drawing, (r.i.p. Val... Miss you) and Dave (D.C) gave me permission to get it done on my leg. Then last year comes around, and the Rutz goes up for auction here near me in Denver, Pa!!! Its a once in a lifetime chance to see the real artifact so i had to go!
And guess what... I got to hold the artifact and examine it for about 20 minutes!! At the end, i was allowed to hold it to my leg tattoo for a comparison and get a picture like that too... That was a day i will never forget in my life
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom