What's new

Possible bone tools?No trolling or voodoo

Greg Lafla

Full Member
Joined
May 30, 2018
Messages
149
Reaction score
26
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found one this morning wouldn't have gave it any thought but found what I took as a scraper under same recently fallen tree last week. It looks cut to me what others say.
IMG_1761.webpIMG_1764.webpIMG_1762.webpIMG_1763.webpIMG_1656.webp
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1657.webp
    IMG_1657.webp
    413.8 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1658.webp
    IMG_1658.webp
    370.8 KB · Views: 124
Upvote 0
Wouldn't think so where I found them but have no clue on this certainly look old and one edge might have been honed on cut piece post better pics later
 
Does the piece fit into your hand in such a way that it ‘fits’ your hand or grip?
This would be a good characteristic of a possible tool.

However, I have to agree with Joshuaream. It looks like a butchered bone to me. (Sawed on 3 sides)
 
IMG_1771.webpIMG_1772.webpIMG_1768.webpIMG_1770.webp

Hopefully the possible wear use is visible from one edge to the other on cut piece
 
The smaller bone is an ungulate toe bone and the larger is a modern cut bone.
Used as tools? Not likely.
 
Most all Native American midden bone I have found has signs of marrow extraction and percussion breakage. Yours appear to be later butchered bone probably with saw marks.
 
I found a bunch of bones on a big Archaic site and took them to the State Natural History Museum to get checked out. They were modern pig bones.
 
Found right next to eachother on land that's been a golf course for 120 years under a damaged tree cut down a month ago. Any things possible I guess.
 
Look like "modern " discards.

Once cut up a downed tree two of us might not have been able to touch fingers reaching around.
Under it's stump was an old round roast bone. Something must have dragged it under there.
 
Does the piece fit into your hand in such a way that it ‘fits’ your hand or grip?
This would be a good characteristic of a possible tool.

However, I have to agree with Joshuaream. It looks like a butchered bone to me. (Sawed on 3 sides)

Your messing with me right. Good one. What doesn't matter for rocks is a solid tell for bone tools?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes they both fit like a glove and show obvious function when held as well as wear from use.
 
IMG_1780.webpIMG_1781.webp

Tried to get a pic of saw marks for you to judge. Are all the holes in the deer toe normal, possibly drilled?Would a hunter cut bone this cleanly in the field while dressing a deer and why would they. Having a hard time buying the modern discard buy I have been wrong a couple times before.
 
Yes the holes are normal and the other bone looks like it has been cut with a arm powered meat saw
 
Maybe your all right, I'll even go to probably right, but still going to go kick around that stump tomorrow
 
I can't stop thinking that this is a handle and one side was softened to ease the sharpness of the grip.
 
definitly done with a meat saw
 
Greg, there are kids on this site. No need for that man.
 
Last edited:
Go show it to a butcher, tell him your theories he will explain the whole thing to you
 
Sorry good point grim
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom