What's new

Possible bone tools?No trolling or voodoo

Greg Lafla

Full Member
Joined
May 30, 2018
Messages
149
Reaction score
26
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found one this morning wouldn't have gave it any thought but found what I took as a scraper under same recently fallen tree last week. It looks cut to me what others say.
IMG_1761.webpIMG_1764.webpIMG_1762.webpIMG_1763.webpIMG_1656.webp
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1657.webp
    IMG_1657.webp
    413.8 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1658.webp
    IMG_1658.webp
    370.8 KB · Views: 124
Upvote 0
Looks like it was cut with a band saw.
 
So the animal found this I'll assume deer bone as well as the deer toe in someone's trash and carried both back under a long distance to a tree. Are we thinking one trip or two. Both bones then had slight alterations in cortex that would aid in their function as tools. I think those are saw marks as well, at least they sure look like it but not sold. Why is the claimed softened edge a totally different shade the. Rest of bone. Maybe a modern version of a bone handle?
 
Greg, everyone is correct and trying to guide you in the right direction on your bone pieces. They are all modern without a doubt. I have an extensive Bone collection and here are two trays of authentic, without a doubt, award winning Bone Tools. Please study them as these represent a large diversity of types.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    455.4 KB · Views: 82
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    483.4 KB · Views: 84
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    474.4 KB · Views: 76
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    536.6 KB · Views: 99
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    587.8 KB · Views: 92
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    486 KB · Views: 103
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    527.8 KB · Views: 102
I see the marks I also find lots of bones with marks like those that are shaped fairly well to be discarded modern cut bones this being said I know I am speculating that they could be tools as most would under the same circumstances finding them alongside artifacts. I am curious where information can be found in comparison of what a modern cut bone looks like as opposed to an ancient cut bone. I probably have a mix of modern cut bones and bone tools.

I have done some research and if I can find the link will post an ancient bone with similar marks to yours. Basically from what I have read was some marks are actual grain marks from the rock that was used to work the bone and through studying the type of marks they could find out the type of rock that was chosen for the job. EDIT After looking online and googling saw cut bones they do look modern.

One thing I will add and I know exactly what you are going through because I have been there. You seem like a smart guy who is just getting into a hobby that is very difficult to prevail without giving up or just simply never learning what a worked rock looks like most never make it to the level of a lot of these guys. The thing is when I started looking for artifacts my mind was wired subjectively I would see a certain shape or a sharp edge or a rock that looks like a bird and assume its an artifact and even would argue it while the experienced eyes were being objective looking for peck marks, flake scars, polish, drill marks etc. This takes time and when you start to find real groundstone artifacts you will have something to compare your rocks to. When you learn the mind automatically switches to objective thinking because it knows what to look for but until you learn you will continue to think subjectively so time is the cure and if you put in the time a lot of it you will understand why you receive the comments you have received.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for at least thinking I have a chance. The site where thiese bones were found contains zero artifacts any of you would agree too. It is was in the past would have been termed "Indian burial ground." After a couple years of working there I came to realize this and dreamed of the great points I would find. So I started to look as I worked, always keeping an eye to the ground. You know how many I found.ZERO. Started to do some reading on how to find arrows, basically look for debitage. Well tons of it, still no points, peace pipes, tomahawks. Nothing In my job we are constantly digging, clearing brush, basically disturbing ground in ways guys like you would love a chance to do. Not one arrow. Boss been there 30 years, nothing. Another guy 10. Nothing. They don't look like I do but basically if they were there or ever there I think one of us would have one by now. In the course of this search an I did find an overwhelming number of things that seemed unnatural, but the reality is it had taken 10 years for my insanity reach this level. The voodoo stuff only the past couple months, but when I read others seeing it and tried to look for it, sure enough it was there. I see things now in rocks I drove by for years blinded too, so why I enjoy busting chops, I get why it's hard to see and believe.
 
Thanks for at least thinking I have a chance. The site where thiese bones were found contains zero artifacts any of you would agree too. It is was in the past would have been termed "Indian burial ground." After a couple years of working there I came to realize this and dreamed of the great points I would find. So I started to look as I worked, always keeping an eye to the ground. You know how many I found.ZERO. Started to do some reading on how to find arrows, basically look for debitage. Well tons of it, still no points, peace pipes, tomahawks. Nothing In my job we are constantly digging, clearing brush, basically disturbing ground in ways guys like you would love a chance to do. Not one arrow. Boss been there 30 years, nothing. Another guy 10. Nothing. They don't look like I do but basically if they were there or ever there I think one of us would have one by now. In the course of this search an I did find an overwhelming number of things that seemed unnatural, but the reality is it had taken 10 years for my insanity reach this level. The voodoo stuff only the past couple months, but when I read others seeing it and tried to look for it, sure enough it was there. I see things now in rocks I drove by for years blinded too, so why I enjoy busting chops, I get why it's hard to see and believe.[/QUOTE

Like the others have mentioned I think your best bet is to take them to a butcher and let us know.
 
I have a friend that see's things differently, but he see's things that just arent there, and doesnt see the things that are there.
 
as for the grim reaper, i think thats the nicest collection of bone tools i have ever seen.
 
IMG_1882.webp
IMG_1884.webp

I think if I try I will be able to fish a string from one hole to the other
 
IMG_1885.webpIMG_1885.webp

Not exactly what I was thinking but enough to make the point
 
Go show it to a butcher, tell him your theories he will explain the whole thing to you

Excellent suggestion. He will probably be able to tell you what part of the animal and what cut of meat it was a part of.
 
View attachment 1597846View attachment 1597846

Not exactly what I was thinking but enough to make the point

Make the point of what? That you found the naturally occurring hole where tendons or veins ran through. For God sake man, do some research or at least LISTEN TO US. I showed you actual Bone Tools that you obviously ignored. If you really want to learn and are willing to listen you can get a lot of great info on here. If you want to continue to argue and throw out BS theories with no substance then maybe you should find another site to peruse.

Just my 2 cents.
 
A lot of that goes to the context and history of the site in which they were found, but they just look like bones from butchering to me, from the historic era. Of course, 'fits your hand perfectly' might be the criteria for judging if something actually was a prehistoric tool.
 
No sorry was told doesn't matter
 
I really enjoy some of you long standing members with lengthy collecting careers get angry and defensive...lol. Silence is golden. Simply more trolling folks.
 
I really enjoy some of you long standing members with lengthy collecting careers get angry and defensive...lol. Silence is golden. Simply more trolling folks.

I know, I should just ignore him and he will eventually just go away and play in Bobs back yard. Lol
 
You know why Grim. You see it and it bothers you
 
Maybe even have a couple things not in frames?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom