Possible ferrous meteorite?

barma

Sep 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I'm new in this forum, but I hope you don't mind helping us. My husband and I have these 6 rocks we found in our backyard a while ago, and we wonder if they're indeed ferrous meteorites. :icon_scratch: When we read descriptions and see pictures, they seem to match a meteorite description, but maybe some of you out there can help us figure it out. And maybe we're totally wrong! If they're indeed meteor fragments, we'll have to thank our dog for digging the first one out!

Without further ado, here's some information and the pictures for your perusal. Since we have 6 of these rocks, we'll just focus on the largest one:

1. It measures about 4.8cm x 2.8cm x 4cm and weighs 51 grams
2. It is slightly attracted to magnets, though we don't have strong magnets with which to test it
3. There seems to be tiny shiny particles on the surface / along the curved grooves
4. It's mainly black, though it does look a bit rusty/tanned on the surface
5. In case it matters, we're located near Boulder, Colorado

If you have any questions, let me know! Thanks in advance for any input you can give us.

DSCN0354.jpg DSCN0364.jpg DSCN0363.jpg DSCN0362.jpg DSCN0361.jpg DSCN0359.jpg DSCN0358.jpg DSCN0357.jpg DSCN0356.jpg DSCN0368.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, that is not a meteorite. Take your samples to a local geologist at a college or university.

Upvote 0

sky355

Jul 24, 2012
Littleton Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Fisher F22
Vibra tector 740
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah Meteorite will be very attracted to magnet. Take a back to a speaker you have in your home. That will tell you how magnetic it is. Meteorites are very high in Metallic Material and will stick to a magnet like glue.

Also check out How Do you know if it is a meteorite Look at the Smelter Ore. Yours resembles this the best.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sky355

Jul 24, 2012
Littleton Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Fisher F22
Vibra tector 740
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barma btw when a Meteorite enters the atmosphere all sharp jagged edges are melted off of it. even if it breaks away your edges of the rock you have there would still not be so jagged.

Nice to meet you btw im local down here in Littleton Colorado. Glad to see you posted.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

barma

Sep 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah Meteorite will be very attracted to magnet. Take a back to a speaker you have in your home. That will tell you how magnetic it is. Meteorites are very high in Metallic Material and will stick to a magnet like glue.

Also check out How Do you know if it is a meteorite Look at the Smelter Ore. Yours resembles this the best.

Thank you Sky355 for your info, nice e-meeting you too, you sure live close! 8-) That's too bad about our meteor-wrongs. One of those would have made a nice little present for my dad, who was all curious about them. They still look cool, but you know... Anyway, we're going to be traveling, so we can't take it to any geologists yet, but maybe when we return we'll have it checked out.

Thanks everyone for trying to help! If anyone else has more input about it that explains why it's certainly not a meteorite, we'd love to know more.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions