What the heck are these?

imdoc

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi everybody. My name is Doc and my parents recently passed away and I was given the job by all the brothers (there are 5 of us) to figure out what some of the stuff they left to us is. This is my first quest, to find out what these balls are. I weighed them on a set of postal scales and they weigh 1 3/16 lbs. I took these pictures so you can see what they look like. I'm hoping somebody can tell me what they are all about. I saw another post where the balls similar to this ended up being balls for a stop valve on a pump. I'm hoping you can give me insight on this as well! Thanks for all your help...

Doc

Attachments

• brassball1.jpg
    brassball1.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 104
  • brassball2.jpg
    brassball2.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 117
  • brassball3.jpg
    brassball3.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 84

mo dirt diggin

Sep 3, 2012
Souteast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, 950 Coil, 4x6 eclipse coil, DX-1, Bullseye 2 pinpointer, Pro pointer, Lesche Sampson 31inch.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to the tape measure it is right at 2 inches in diameter !

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

imdoc

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep..if it's musket balls I wouldn't want to be either the one firing the gun or the one being fired upon! ;) That would be more like a cannon. I'm really at a loss as to what these things are. They would make good paperweights except they keep rolling off. :O

Upvote 0

aka da Prof

Jan 18, 2009
Finger Lakes, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom One / Fisher 1280X / Beach Bully sand scoop/ Garret ProPin Pointer/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how many do you have? if brass they could be part of a check valve??

Upvote 0

PYRATE

Jun 24, 2012
Cackalacky
Detector(s) used
arrr, just need me nose
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My dad had brass balls too!

He always said it was because he was born during the depression & raised during WWII

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What they're made of would be a very important fact in determining what they are!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

imdoc

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Ummmm....I don't know what they're made of but they are heavy. :) I assumed it was bronze but ...... Maybe I'll just beat them with a hammer until they have flat spots and use them for paperweights! lol

Upvote 0

DoubleUgly

Feb 11, 2010
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
On the first and second photos, is that just a spot of corrosion, or a place where it might've been cut?

Reason I ask, is sometimes old steam tractors used brass weights on their governors.

220904417_9c43035398.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

imdoc

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe it's just a spot of corrosion but it's hard to say for sure. These things really have me baffled.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

imdoc

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2012
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
After looking again at the last pic I posted there are two marks that look like maybe something had been welded or soldered there like the pic of the governor you posted. Or maybe I'm just seeing things..

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread