What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Possible French coin.....possible counterfeit?

wagon55

Tenderfoot
Joined
Mar 11, 2018
Messages
6
Reaction score
14
Golden Thread
0
Location
Havre de Grace, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett A/T Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I popped this honker last week out of a farm field. It rang up in the low 30s on my Nox 800. When I saw it in the hole, it looked shiny and I thought for sure it was silver. I sprayed the heck out of it with water. Then I saw the green and thought it may be copper. But there is still shiny on it. I could see there was letters around the edge, but couldn't make them out in the field. Once I got home and got some better lighting and side light, I could make out some of the letters and roman numerals. Some digging buddies of mine and I did a little research and we think we have sorta made an ID, but not definite. I ordered a silver kit just to know for sure, but I really don't think it is. It is 38-39mm in diameter and weighs in at 23 grams. Any thoughts? Anyone find anything similar?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2215.webp
    IMG_2215.webp
    781.5 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_2216.webp
    IMG_2216.webp
    819.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2222.webp
    IMG_2222.webp
    1.5 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_2223.webp
    IMG_2223.webp
    907.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2224.webp
    IMG_2224.webp
    1.5 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2225.webp
    IMG_2225.webp
    144.5 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2246.webp
    IMG_2246.webp
    167.4 KB · Views: 93
.

i99668o.jpg
i99668r.jpg
.​
France - Louis XIV - King: 14 May 1643 - 1 September 1715
1647 Silver Ecu 37mm (27.00 grams) .917 Silver
Reference: Dy# 1469 (1646-59) | Engraver: Jean Warin
LVD.XIIII.D.G.FR.ET.NAV.REX, Louis facing right.
SIT·NOMEN·DOMINI··BENEDICTUM·N, Crowned shield with three fleur-de-lis within.
Similar to this one.
Don.....
PS: Yours is wider and of less weight than the authentic coin above. May possibly be a counterfeit.​
 
Last edited:
Upvote 2
.

i99668o.jpg
i99668r.jpg
.​
France - Louis XIV - King: 14 May 1643 - 1 September 1715
1647 Silver Ecu 37mm (27.00 grams) .917 Silver
Reference: Dy# 1469 (1646-59) | Engraver: Jean Warin
LVD.XIIII.D.G.FR.ET.NAV.REX, Louis facing right.
SIT·NOMEN·DOMINI··BENEDICTUM·N, Crowned shield with three fleur-de-lis within.
Similar to this one.
Don.....
PS: Yours is wider and of less weight than the authentic coin above. May possibly be a counterfeit.​
https://colnect.com/en/coins/coin/4...L_M_N_O_P_S_T_X_-1643~1715_-_Louis_XIV-France
Check this link. This one would match with the size.
 
Upvote 0
Very cool find! Contemporary counterfeits of French Ecus are known to be out there. Here's one from Worthpoint-

 

Attachments

  • ecunonregal.webp
    ecunonregal.webp
    38.9 KB · Views: 94
Upvote 0
Looks like it tests silver…
7A52D817-25AD-48B7-AAC3-56A31CCA72E0.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • C9B692D8-C178-4757-BC34-314F24701E9B.webp
    C9B692D8-C178-4757-BC34-314F24701E9B.webp
    692.7 KB · Views: 85
Upvote 0
I've not seen silver with green corrosion on it. It looks like "bronze disease" on your coin.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom