Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I've been doing research for some good sites. One of the things that I came upon was an old town called "Dogtown" which is actually located within the common day "Gloucester" (which is 15 minutes from where I work).

I have written the city of Gloucester asking permission, or how I could go about obtaining even supervised metal detecting of the site. Most of Dogtown has been donated to Gloucester and Cape Anne (town adjacent to Gloucester).

Here is the history of Dogtown copied from Wikipedia. What do you guys think?

Dogtown, Massachusetts
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dogtown (also Dogtown Commons or Dogtown Common or Dogtown Village) is an abandoned inland settlement on Cape Ann in Massachusetts. It is divided between the city of Gloucester and the town of Rockport. It is in an area not particularly suited to agriculture, due to its poor and very rocky soil. Nevertheless it was settled, beginning in 1693, because its inland location afforded protection from pirates and from enemy navies. Another attraction was the fact that the area lay on what was originally the only direct land route between Sandy Bay (Rockport's original name) and Gloucester. The peak of population, from about 1750 to the turn of the nineteenth century, has been estimated at around one hundred families.

After new coastal roads were opened, and especially after the conclusion of the War of 1812 and its attendant risk of coastal bombardment, most farmers moved away from Dogtown. Their abandoned houses were for a few decades occupied by itinerants and vagabonds, giving the area its bad reputation. Many of the widows of sea-goers and soldiers who never returned kept dogs for protection and company. As these last inhabitants died their pets became feral and wild, roaming the moors and howling, thus the area's moniker was born.

Some of the last occupants were suspected of practicing witchcraft, including Thomazine "Tammy" Younger, whom some knew as the "Queen of the Witches." Tammy lived on Fox Hill, by Alewife Brook, and would reputedly place a curse on teams of oxen carrying fish from the harbor as they crossed the bridge there, unless their driver paid her a "toll". A reputed witch often associated with Dogtown was Peg Wesson, but in fact she lived in Gloucester, not Dogtown. The last resident of Dogtown, a freedman named Cornelius "Black Neil" Finson, was found half-dead living in a cellar-hole in the winter, and was removed to the poorhouse in Gloucester in 1830; he died shortly afterward.

Most of the area of Dogtown is now a dense woodland, criss-crossed and bisected by trails and old roads. Dogtown Road off of Cherry Street in the western section (the Gloucester side) is even lined with the remains of the cellar holes of the settlers, many of which are numbered in correspondence with names from John J. Babson's book of the history of Gloucester. Babson's grandson, Roger Babson, is known for, among other things, his commissioning of unemployed stonecutters to carve inspirational inscriptions on approximately two dozen boulders in Dogtown during the Great Depression. Babson also mapped and numbered the cellar holes left from the homes of Dogtown's former residents.

Most of the land is held in trust by Gloucester and Rockport and is therefore protected in perpetuity. The current state of Dogtown affords rich recreation opportunities to hikers and bikers, dog-walkers, nature lovers, cross-country skiers, geologists and historians. The area is peppered with house-sized boulders, including one named "The Whale's Jaw," which it formerly resembled before cracking in 1989.

OP
OP
Groovedymond

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah.. it's a park.. that is why i'm asking the town permission.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
G,

if I'm out scouting and come across a park
I check for posted signs of NO METAL DETECTING.

If I don't find them I pull out the detector and have
a go at it; would not write a letter unless I wanted
to do some serious digging.

Have been asked to leave a few times, but never
had any major trouble.

If it is a public place and not posted I feel I'm only
asking for rejection of my request if I try dealing
with the local whoever prior to hunting.

Just a thought.

have a god un.............

laralucine

Dec 27, 2004
S.E. PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab X-Terra 50
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oooh- yes! Dogtown would be an amazing place to hunt! I've come across a ton of info online in the past year, and this summer I read "The Last Days of Dogtown" a fictional account of the last few people to live there. For some reason, I had confused it in my head w/ Dudleytown/dark forest, another ghost town in MA that is on private land and totally off limits, so never considered trying to get permission.
Great idea, Groove!!!

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds good to me also - I don't live all too far from there myself, so might take a ride out there sometime just to take a peek.

I have a gut feeling we wouldn't get permission to hunt there, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't ask!! Give it a shot and let us know what you find out!!

OP
OP
Groovedymond

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm waiting for a response, however, Sherman made a good point. If it's not posted.... does that mean we still can't?

I was thinking about taking a drive up there some time just to take a peek and see if there are any good areas to detect. I will keep you guys posted.

laralucine

Dec 27, 2004
S.E. PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab X-Terra 50
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,
The day Groove posted this, I looked for some of the links I had saved about Dogtown, and there are lots of trail maps with cellar-hole locations available - I think we should go for it. People mountain-bike there everyday, and that's very destructive to trails, so if we treat it more like any open (i.e.: not wooded) site and leave it looking nice, think it should be ok. And if anyone hassles us, someone other than Groove will talk to the cops ;)
I don't want to horn in on your plans, Groove, but what do you guys/gals think? I'd love to be able to get out once more before it gets really cold (remember - I'm not from around these parts - "really cold" is relative) :D
Lara

I

ingrid

Hi! Im a Rockport girl and my family grew up exploring Dogtown...let me just say, youll find some really interesting...things. I would go for it if I were you. I have never seen a "No MDing" sign so...do it, if you havent already. I cant even imagine what youd find with a MD.WoW! Im excited for you.
P.S.
Alot of those cellar doors are closed off now and many of the trailmaps are way off. I would get them from a few different sources and go with the most common route. Good luck and above all Have Fun!!!!
-ingrid

I

ingrid

Hey Guys,
If you want a really good trail map I reccomend going to Artspace in Gloucester.

bennym

Apr 13, 2008
Gardner, Ma.
Detector(s) used
American Hawks Explorer HP 1016 & Harbor Freight pin pointer
??? ::) SOoooooo.... what was the out come of this ?
Did anyone ever find out if it was ok to MD there ?
Did anyone ever go....
Did ya find anything ?

I'm sittin' here with my tongue hangin' out :tongue3: waitin' to hear the news and the post just stops ::)

Oh Wait :stop: Is everyone in jail ! :o is that why the post just stopped ???

OMG ! do you guys need cigarettes :-\

anybody got an update...... ;D

OP
OP
Groovedymond

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not in jail, but could still use some smokes! :)

Actually, forgot all about this post. I haven't gone up there yet, but hope to soon with the father in law. This year, just been poking around my yard with my detector getting used to it and such. Haven't even so much as driven up there yet.

Anyone go there and check it out?!?

bennym

Apr 13, 2008
Gardner, Ma.
Detector(s) used
American Hawks Explorer HP 1016 & Harbor Freight pin pointer
Glad to hear you're all still free ! :occasion14:

I know plans have a way of changing.... thanks for the up date :thumbsup:

Cladius

Mar 8, 2004
You can hunt, no place is hunted out. Be advised many ticks and much trash. have fun Cladius.

capt. sparrow

Jan 23, 2007
North Shore Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II
I took a walk up to Dogtown today to poke around. Everytime I have been there I have just found junk but I thought I'd give it another shot. I hadn't been up there for about a year and was surprised to see a number of cellar holes dug up. I had originally thought it might be the town doing some sort of restoration project until I jumped into one and saw the telltale signs of . There were many small piles of "trash" including pull tabs, old pottery, bottle caps and old nails around the perimeter. Now, I don't know how I feel about this. On one hand I have always wanted to do this, but felt the moral obligation of leaving things as they are. On the other I kinda of see it as vandalism. We are talking about cellar holes that were maybe 1- 2 ft deep now completely dug down almost 6 feet with all the rubble and brick strewn around it. These things have been there as is for 200+ years, now someone decides to dig them out for personal benefit. I can see finding some random cellar hole in the woods and having at it, but for a public park that has historical significance, I don't know. I am torn and was wondering if any one had thoughts. Then again maybe it was some town led project I missed, it just didn't look like it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread