What's new

Possible Homesite?

RelicHunter97

Hero Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2010
Messages
700
Reaction score
297
Golden Thread
1
Location
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was fooling aroung on *Bing Maps looking for old homesites and I found what appears to be a chimney in the middle of the woods... Any thoughts?


Thanks,

RelicHunter97

**Sorry here is the pic**
 

Attachments

  • MetalDetectChimney.webp
    MetalDetectChimney.webp
    49 KB · Views: 643
Can't see it well enough to tell what it is. Perhaps someone with better eyes can tell? Monty
 
Upvote 0
First thing I thought of was a bunch of bee boxes stacked vertically with one of the screens lying on top
 
Upvote 0
Definatley Needs closer View.
Could be several things

Although Doubtfull, Could also be underground Bunker
type Dwelling there.
 
Upvote 0
This is the closest i can get but here are some different views
 

Attachments

  • MetalDetectChimney3.webp
    MetalDetectChimney3.webp
    32.3 KB · Views: 588
  • MetalDetectChimney4.webp
    MetalDetectChimney4.webp
    19.4 KB · Views: 569
Upvote 0
Well what ever it is GPS it and hit it in the spring. Good luck :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee
 
Upvote 0
In the first pic I can make out a cleared grass track leading from '6 o'clock' position to the object. The track appears to be well maintained.
The item itself looks to me like a panel and lectern-type top, such as those which display information on local area history or features and flora/fauna etc.

Is the area a likely tourist spot?

Mike
 
Upvote 0
Its not a chimney.
 

Attachments

  • chimney.webp
    chimney.webp
    91.4 KB · Views: 521
Upvote 0
That's a scary chimney BigCy :o
Cheers, Mike
 
Upvote 0
Its a Hunting Box Stand!, we use them all the time. The cleared out Lane is the Shooting Lane. :wink: They probably feed at the middle or end of the lane.
 
Upvote 0
How do you get such close ups? Do you use a paid version? I search the Everglades a lot but the birds eye cant get anywhere near this close on Bing or Google Earth.
 
Upvote 0
No, Actually I just use Bimg maps, satellite mode with angled view and I can zoom in pretty close.
 
Upvote 0
RelicHunter97 said:
No, Actually I just use Bimg maps, satellite mode with angled view and I can zoom in pretty close.
I guess the images here in Everglades region are nowhere near as detailed as what you have. No way can I see an individual tree. Maybe some day in the future..
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
RelicHunter97 said:
No, Actually I just use Bing maps, satellite mode with angled view and I can zoom in pretty close.
I guess the images here in Everglades region are nowhere near as detailed as what you have. No way can I see an individual tree. Maybe some day in the future..

Mayybe...this is just a thought...since it is a protected area they weren't allowed to fly the planes over to take the photographs? for risk of crashing or pollution?
 
Upvote 0
Dude,
I am so rooting for it being a chimney but think its a deer stand, like several of the others. Time to mark this one solved, or do you want to wait for the melt and let us all know then?

As for maps, I just found a Google Earth add-on - check for it as a recent post under the "Maps" forum - it takes old (100 years or so??) old topographical maps and lets you overlay them onto the spot you see on Google Earth. This is really good because the topo maps show dots where all the houses were - find a dot where woods are today, and you have yourself a day's adventure planned for spring. I have 5 new ones after spending just 3 hours with this tool. Woot. Woot.
 
Upvote 0
Stegner said:
Dude,
I am so rooting for it being a chimney but think its a deer stand, like several of the others. Time to mark this one solved, or do you want to wait for the melt and let us all know then?

As for maps, I just found a Google Earth add-on - check for it as a recent post under the "Maps" forum - it takes old (100 years or so??) old topographical maps and lets you overlay them onto the spot you see on Google Earth. This is really good because the topo maps show dots where all the houses were - find a dot where woods are today, and you have yourself a day's adventure planned for spring. I have 5 new ones after spending just 3 hours with this tool. Woot. Woot.

Wow now I am excited thanks for the tip!
I am trying it out right now!
 
Upvote 0
RelicHunter97 said:
bigcypresshunter said:
RelicHunter97 said:
No, Actually I just use Bing maps, satellite mode with angled view and I can zoom in pretty close.
I guess the images here in Everglades region are nowhere near as detailed as what you have. No way can I see an individual tree. Maybe some day in the future..

Mayybe...this is just a thought...since it is a protected area they weren't allowed to fly the planes over to take the photographs? for risk of crashing or pollution?
I think its too remote and too sparcely populated for any interest. I thought they are taken by satellite. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom