Post-Colonial Issue coin..I need information.

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Post-Colonial issue coin. Not sure what it is. There are pictures of it in the 2007 Red Book of United States coins. On page 68 at the top of the page. The thing is my coin which has the date 1777 or 1773, one date or the other not sure. Anyway these dates are not listed in the Red Book When it came to these dates they were skipped over.
The coin I have has the women's head turned to the left.
I sure someone here knows about these coins. I sure could use some info.
Thanks

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum II Whites Spectrum
Roadquest said:
I have a Post-Colonial issue coin. Not sure what it is. There are pictures of it in the 2007 Red Book of United States coins. On page 68 at the top of the page. The thing is my coin which has the date 1777 or 1773, one date or the other not sure. Anyway these dates are not listed in the Red Book When it came to these dates they were skipped over.
The coin I have has the women's head turned to the left.
I sure someone here knows about these coins. I sure could use some info.
Thanks

Got a pic??

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you give a little more info? I have collected colonials for some time and may be able to help, but don't have a redbook.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I have red book whats it "listed" half cent or cent ? my redbook is a 2005 issue --the listings might not match up -- but I know a bit about coins-- Ivan

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have that year book, however, too many coppers can look like what you think you are saying, not enough information from you to make a proper ID.

Let me add, how about measuring the diameter, in millimeters. And describe what you see, do not say what is on page 68, or only wild guesses can be given.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
what is the listing --for the coin? half cent or cent?

scoutjim99

Sep 2, 2005
Greenville NOrth Craolina
It is an English coin that was meant for Ireland, Like the one in the Red Book 2007 page 68

I believ it is called Hibernia in the 2005 red Book it is on page 57 and 58.

but this is the best i can do with out seeing it

OP
OP
Roadquest

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ScoutJim..

Did you see the 1777 and the 1773 listed in the 2005 Red Book.
I had a friend that owns a coin shop in Colonial Heights VA. look at the coin.

He knew it was a post Colonial But he couldn't figer out why the Red Book would list dates up to and after but not that date. Were these the only years they were sent to Ireland?

I mostly work with Morgans and Flying Eagle cent. Now I'm interested in these Colonial coins. I need to go to the library and check out a 2005 Red Book. If the dates are listed, did they state a value?
I think I will send it to PCI for attribution and verification.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
the date for the left facing woman bust "flowing hair" half cent is only 1793-- it was the first fairly standardized american type coin -- right facing coins are much more common then left facing coins as a general rule --the brits switched sides left / right as the royals were replaced by another --it can aid greatly in finding out which is which at times. -- found a 1717 - 1724 king george the 1st half penny the other day ---american made cents and half cents -- brits made penny ,half penny and 1/4th penny called farthings--americans to break away from england used the term cents or 1/100th ---the old brit pound had 240 penny to the pound sterling --in the old days brits said "pence" to mean more than one penny -- funny that americans today still say Penny and Pennies --

scoutjim99

Sep 2, 2005
Greenville NOrth Craolina
The coins are so very similar and not to say that a coin with a certain date may or may not have circulated is hard to do, the coins in the Redbook are ones that records could prove they circulated etc. by the way I mentioned Hibernia I was wrong i was thinking of a coin from memory that looks very similar. Another good source for colonial info is Breen's catalogue.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread