Pottery Shards 2013 and 2014

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm mainly posting these to help out the new folks in the forum for identification and just all around general idea what to look for if you are a shard hunter. These are not in frames yet because I've got to get some made or order some just haven't gotten around to it.

The first pic is almost all the shards from 2013 and the second from 2014...some I've found are not pictured because I'm researching them more but this is just to show how many unearthed pots I've yet to find in my creek. This creek area I've been searching is not even a mile long so the population was really heavy here it's just underground where I can't get to it.

What I do know about the people who once lived here is that they were part of the Catawba Nation and my "site" hasn't ever been documented. That may change some after the archeologists take a look due to me finding some painted shards (not pictured). I don't expect any type of excavation due to everything being found in the creek and it's almost impossible to pin down the exact location, that's what I've been told by them and I'm fine with it.

Thanks for looking! HH

WP_20150213_001.jpg WP_20150213_003.jpg

Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! That's good. Looks like they cover a pretty good time span. I like the one with the hole. Do you find some still in the creek bank? Tony

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a few, lol just kidding. Hey if there is any flat ground that is higher up above the creek that is where the camp sites would of been. The creek was probably much deeper and the water level much higher back in the days the NA were there. In the fields I hunt some of the hill tops are 300 ft above the creek where I find sherds which means camp sites. Some are rite near the creek so they do vary. Nice pieces

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice assortment! I would think that somewhere down in the muck of your creek might be some larger fragments. I found the biggest shard ever last year (about as big as my hand) down around 3 feet in the mud. Good luck!

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That's good. Looks like they cover a pretty good time span. I like the one with the hole. Do you find some still in the creek bank? Tony

Yes if I dig in the bank I sometimes find shards. Most of these were stuck in sand bars, on top of pebble bars and lodged between rocks in the creek bed. I have another one with a hole that is fabric impressed but not in the pic, however I did post it last month.

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a few, lol just kidding. Hey if there is any flat ground that is higher up above the creek that is where the camp sites would of been. The creek was probably much deeper and the water level much higher back in the days the NA were there. In the fields I hunt some of the hill tops are 300 ft above the creek where I find sherds which means camp sites. Some are rite near the creek so they do vary. Nice pieces

The creek is like a deep wide ditch and all the ground is flat above it, specifically almost 3 acres of flat before it slopes up where my house is. Knowing my luck my house and some of the neighbors' is built on top of burial mounds lol Makes wonder if they found anything when they dug the basement out before they built it but it was built in 1975 and I didn't move into it until 1993 so I don't know. When I stand back at the creek (not in it) and look toward the mountain I see all kinds of possible mounds there. Well, you know how it is, can't help but speculate every time you're hunting.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The creek and fields where I hunt is the same and the hills where your house is would of been the camp sites. They would camp on the hills in case the creek flooded. That is where the artifacts will be imo. They did hunt by the water and did have to carry the pots to the stream. I would geuss the pots would break once in a while and they would leave them that is probably what you are finding. Discarded pots

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great idea & information Peaches :icon_thumleft:...you've got quite a collection there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions