What's new

Pottery sherds

lisfisher

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2008
Messages
582
Reaction score
1,027
Golden Thread
2
Location
CT
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I found these yesterday, 10 inches down in gulley caused by a heavy rain washout. I am wondering if these sherds could be from the native americans whom lived there. Now, a little history on this location: MANY artifacts found over the years by locals. 300 feet from a major river in which there were native americans living on. These 2 pcs are unlike any other colonial sherds I have come across. One side is somewhat smooth and the back sides have these ridges. Do these ridges indicate some kind of native american pottery making technique?Fyi, these were found in Connecticut. pottery 001.webppottery 002.webppottery 003.webp
 
Upvote 0
No they are crockery maybe next time
 
They look colonial to me because of the ridges, I think the ridges are formed when they were making it on a pottery wheel. I've also read where the Native Americans started using their own type of pottery wheel after contact period. Those are real nice and keepers too!
 
I'm not so sure,I have seen old crockery pieces come up looking just like that with a slight glaze on it. Maybe you should take the pieces to your state archaeology department and see what they think.
 
Looking at your pictures, I'd say that you have pieces of a crockery jug but it does appear to be an old one. Keep looking that area because there may be some more goodies hiding out nearby. Good luck!!
 
The only reason I thought it might be native american is because the area is littered with points and other artifacts. { of course you have to look for them but they are there} They actually lived on this very parcel of land near the lake.
 
Thanks Charl, great site!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom