Pound VA. The Great Cave

mrslojo

Oct 24, 2015
Eastern, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After some time off from researching the swift legend I finally have got back into it. I've been going over alot of notes and books on the Great Cavern of the Shawnee. I know in many versions of the swift journals that he and his crew stored the final years stash there, never to return for them. One place that keeps popping up is Pound VA. I hear a lot of old timers tell the story of the cave being located somewhere near Pound Gap. I've heard that Chief Blue Jacket himself stated that the area was sacred to his Shawnee people.
I myself have hiked and explored the area for years now finding many caves there but never one extending from on side of the mountain to the other.
Was just wondering if anyone else has researched the area I'd love to find more books or info on the area.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have not watched the video linked below on this topic it may give you some insight on the cave. Mr. Gibson had found a large stash of silver and answers questions in the video. He plainly says that the kegs were in the cave and that there were probably several entrances at one time and could have been covered up or closed. The Pound area is interesting too, who knows maybe it is there, but the entrance has been sealed for 250+ years.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/l...hers-give-presentation-swift-near-breaks.html

OP
OP
M

mrslojo

Oct 24, 2015
Eastern, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks KY Hiker. I seen this video years ago and have actually talked to Mr Gibson years ago. Bill was a great person and loved the mountains more than anyone. He told me many times about finding the kegs and i have been there several times over the years. I was just reading on the shawnee tribe and just thought the pound area was interesting due to the tribe saying it was very sacred to their people.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a huge sealed cave entrance at the Pound Gap years ago. Without the time or funds to do anything about it, I have just left it to memory until I saw your post. It would take huge funds to re-open the entrance due to the amount of stones, their sizes and the steep location with hazards to modern day work that has been done in the area. But anyway I just thought I would mention it. I found the sealed entrance dowsing so you may not want to put to much interest into it. Although I have found 35 wedding rings lost to individuals by dowsing and I have located several large unrecoverable treasures.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mrslojo

Oct 24, 2015
Eastern, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the post franklin. I love hearing about the area. Ive found several caves in the local area of Pound Gap. I remember when they cut the new road through the gap and they actually blasted into a few caves and sealed them up with rock and concrete. wish i couldve explored them before they were sealed. Its a very interesting area for sure.

OP
OP
M

mrslojo

Oct 24, 2015
Eastern, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
025-Newman-Limestone-Mississppian-PG.jpg 067-Newman-Limestone-Mississppian-PG_thumb 4.jpg

Caves that were sealed up during construction of the new road

OP
OP
M

mrslojo

Oct 24, 2015
Eastern, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The two people in the photos are geologist from a university. They were doing some research on the rock formations.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an impressive size cave or void that they filled in with the rubble. The people give scale to the picture and opening.

OP
OP
M

mrslojo

Oct 24, 2015
Eastern, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah the entrances look very huge. May have been an extensive cave system years back before the construction of the highway. Ive heard rumors about it in the past but no facts. Just makes one wonder why they were sealed up and if there were ever anything found inside

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I see the HUGE entrance; if it went to the other side of the mountain/hill, it MUST have been a short-cut tunnel. I would look on the OTHER side for ANOTHER entrance, then the GREAT CAVE may be near-by. There were MANY Melungeon SILVER mines in SW Virginian, E Kentucky, NE Tennessee... I am descended from the SW Virginia "BOWLING" clan. I LOVE RAMP!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
EVERY year, Ferrum College in Franklin County, Va. has the Blue Ridge Folk-Life Fest, with LOTS of info on the Melungeon Clans/Life, MAYBE the SILVER MINES!

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mrslojo

Oct 24, 2015
Eastern, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've looked on the other side of the mountain and have found a few small caves but nothing that amounted to connecting up with the cut through. The geological features of the area is perfect for caves to form so there is no doubt there are several there. Just finding the right one is the thing lol. Over the years I'm sure that cave in's, rock falls, and construction have covered up and hidden lots of them. Just have to keep looking. THRILL OF THE CHASE.

Im for sure gonna check into the Blue Ridge Folk-Life Fest. Sounds very interesting, Thanks Rebel

Sturgill85

Oct 18, 2018
letcher county
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can someone send me a message with the gps coordinates or explain to me where the entrance is where Bill Gibson went into the pigeon water cave system?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread