Pre-60 nickels not worth keeping

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after keeping all pre-60 nics for a while, I've decided only to keep the nickels with less than 10 million minted. Only keeping 6 out of the few that I had:

2x 49S
50P
51S
2x 55P

Trying to consolidate what I keep so its not taking up so much space. What is everyone else's opinion about pre-60 nickels?

Upvote 0

Squid

Sep 4, 2012
SoCal
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000/d
Primary Interest:
Other
I keep all pre 65's, love nickels, even though they aren't worth anything more than 5 cents.

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
So after keeping all pre-60 nics for a while, I've decided only to keep the nickels with less than 10 million minted. Only keeping 6 out of the few that I had:

2x 49S
50P
51S
2x 55P

Trying to consolidate what I keep so its not taking up so much space. What is everyone else's opinion about pre-60 nickels?

Had the same idea today, threw all my pre-60's into the dump jug, except the war nickels =)
Wicka

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
yeah brodawg I olny keep silver and buffs cause im not a clad lova

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I had kept pre-60 nickels 10 years ago. I went to sell after sitting on rolls and rolls of nicks. A few rolls - I made a buck or two, and others I lost money after seller fees. There really is no sense in keeping all the pre-60 nicks. You are better off selectively keeping the lower mintage and learning how to grade the Jefferson nickel. Keep all the 4-step and above nicks regardless of mintage. When you learn about the steps on Monticello, you will learn how rare Full Step Jefferson nickels are.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I do, but I also keep 42D and 52S because they have a bit of premium.

HH
-GC

OP
OP
E

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked them all for full steps, but there were only 3 that were close, but they only had 2 steps full

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I keep all pre 65's, love nickels, even though they aren't worth anything more than 5 cents.

The 64 D's aren't worth saving, even in high grade.. IMO. They had the highest mintage throughout the whole Jefferson Series, I once saw a ebay listing for a BU Roll at 3.50 and free shipping no bids..

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Any online resource you could point me to?

I don't have an online source to link to. There should be plenty of sites that will describe what to look for, but I'll give you a quick rundown. Looking at Monticello, there are 6 steps. A single full step must be defined as uninterrupted from left to right. Hence, a 4-step Jefferson nickel has 4 full steps but not 6. Now, if you want to see a Full step (implies all 6 steps), view proofs. Most will be Full step due to the handling of the planchets, the lack of abuse/use of the dies, the striking pressure, and the fact that they are struck twice. When it comes to business strikes, the dies are used to strike more coins before being replaced; the striking pressure is less; they are single struck; etc. Consequently, the likelihood of a Full Step strike is very small and would most likely be produced in early die usage.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i keep them, afterall, it's 5 cents a piece that you can throw in a corner in the garage or attic.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I only keep the 30s (I've accumulated quite a bit of 1939s and a couple of 1938s) and the nickels up to 1945, I've looked for the 1950-D but haven't ever found one. There are a lot of pre-1960 nickels in my boxes but of course no buyer for 1951-1959 nickels unless in BU shape which very few of them are.

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep all of them but I only went through 21 boxes so I don't have many, probably under $20 worth.

OP
OP
E

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen rolls of randomly selected pre 60 Jefferson nickels go for $10 a roll around my area. I save them all.

Ha! If I had a buyer like that I would definitely keep them!

Last edited:

hotrod

Bronze Member
May 12, 2012
AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i keep pre 55 have been selling them to a local shop for 4 dollars a role

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread