Pretty sure I had the cops called on me... slight rant

Rothman

Jun 30, 2015
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Garrett Infinium LS, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in a local park today doing a bit of detecting and after an hour or so a truck pulls up outside the fence about 50 yards away from me. The older fella inside of it just stared at me for a while and then made a rather lengthy call while continuing to watch every move I made. Mind you that there are no regulations against metal detecting in the park as expressed to me by the local borough representative over the phone. No posted signs, rules, nothing.. Been there several times for several hours without issue.

This guy was making me a bit uneasy so I started walking towards his truck to see what was going on and he turned his head away and drove off. I was wrapping up anyway so I walked back to my car and stowed my gear. Wouldn't you know it... as I was driving out of the park there was a police cruiser entering.

Now, this could have been pure coincidence but I rather doubt it. I thought maybe he'd seen my Lesche and thought it was a knife but after thinking about it for a while, I hadn't even dug a single target while he was there. I was in cherry picking mode and there were no good signals!

I guess my biggest problem with all of this is, why not just talk to me if you have an issue? Even if it is okay to detect in the park I'd rather not have to deal with explaining everything to the police, having them investigate, and make calls only to find out that there really is no issue. Furthermore, I'd rather not pull the police away from their duty for something so insignificant. I'm sure it would have soaked up over an hour of the officers time for no good reason.

The whole situation gets me a bit heated AND there were no worthwhile finds to boot!!

Upvote 8

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in a local park today doing a bit of detecting and after an hour or so a truck pulls up outside the fence about 50 yards away from me. The older fella inside of it just stared at me for a while and then made a rather lengthy call while continuing to watch every move I made. Mind you that there are no regulations against metal detecting in the park as expressed to me by the local borough representative over the phone. No posted signs, rules, nothing.. Been there several times for several hours without issue.

This guy was making me a bit uneasy so I started walking towards his truck to see what was going on and he turned his head away and drove off. I was wrapping up anyway so I walked back to my car and stowed my gear. Wouldn't you know it... as I was driving out of the park there was a police cruiser entering.

Now, this could have been pure coincidence but I rather doubt it. I thought maybe he'd seen my Lesche and thought it was a knife but after thinking about it for a while, I hadn't even dug a single target while he was there. I was in cherry picking mode and there were no good signals!

I guess my biggest problem with all of this is, why not just talk to me if you have an issue? Even if it is okay to detect in the park I'd rather not have to deal with explaining everything to the police, having them investigate, and make calls only to find out that there really is no issue. Furthermore, I'd rather not pull the police away from their duty for something so insignificant. I'm sure it would have soaked up over an hour of the officers time for no good reason.

The whole situation gets me a bit heated AND there were no worthwhile finds to boot!!
Some people think they make the rules and only they can decide what is right and wrong
glad you had no more interference

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think coincidence. Cops often will pull into a park to catch up on paperwork or just to monitor the area...that's what they're paid to do. If he was called on your account he wou.d have stopped you. I have had cops pull up on the curb before a watch me for a bit and then scoot.I have had them approach me and ask questions and watch me detect for a few...but I have also had them tell me to leave. I would go back.

OP
OP
Rothman

Rothman

Jun 30, 2015
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think coincidence. Cops often will pull into a park to catch up on paperwork or just to monitor the area...that's what they're paid to do. If he was called on your account he wou.d have stopped you. I have had cops pull up on the curb before a watch me for a bit and then scoot.I have had them approach me and ask questions and watch me detect for a few...but I have also had them tell me to leave. I would go back.
I don't think it was a coincidence because of the way he was scowling at me, the phone call, and then driving off when approached. I was well on my way out of the main road of the park when the cruiser came through so he wouldn't have known I was the guy who was detecting. Never seen police in this park before either. Just too many things lining up that make it seem like it wasn't a coincidence.

I get where you're coming from and it makes sense. I hope I was wrong.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was me.... and i wasn't scowling ... i was sad...

I was texting / updating to treasurenet.... saying how there was this guy in the park detecting and he wasn't finding anything and it was starting to make me sad.

:P... j/k

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, I think he called the police. My buddy and I were detecting a local high school at 5:30am on a Sunday. We had been detecting about an hour when a "Karen" came by walking her dog. While Fluffy is taking a crap on the ballfield, Karen whips out her cell phone - I could actually see her hit three-numbers (had to be 911)! Cops showed up 5-minutes later.

I told them my friend and I were looking for my daughter's wedding ring, gave the officer my American Legion business card, and said we had been there for an hour before Karen called. She told them we were "golfing" on the football field. They laughed, we laughed, then said we could stay.

OP
OP
Rothman

Rothman

Jun 30, 2015
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I think he called the police. My buddy and I were detecting a local high school at 5:30am on a Sunday. We had been detecting about an hour when a "Karen" came by walking her dog. While Fluffy is taking a crap on the ballfield, Karen whips out her cell phone - I could actually see her hit three-numbers (had to be 911)! Cops showed up 5-minutes later.

I told them my friend and I were looking for my daughter's wedding ring, gave the officer my American Legion business card, and said we had been there for an hour before Karen called. She told them we were "golfing" on the football field. They laughed, we laughed, then said we could stay.
Now that's funny, golfing?!! Geese..

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Made a funny picture in my head... A couple old farts swatting golf balls with expensive metal detectors. Only thing funnier would've been if you told her you guys were the county fluffy eradicator team.

Heavygold4me

Jan 27, 2020
South mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 , Nox 600, Excalibur II, manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I’ve had plenty of police stop at the park while I was detecting. None have ever engaged me in any fashion. i think most are doing paperwork or its just part of thier regular patrol. I’ve gotten to know several of the guys that keep the park clean, they usually stop to talk and let me empty my trash into the can they have on the golf cart.

Ziggy-Grimm

Jan 19, 2009
Fairchance, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 + Garrett Pro-Pointer AP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been kicked out of a township park by local Robocop police officer. He had a fairly common police officer "holier than thou" attitude and said: "Who gave you permission to metal detect here?"

I responded with: "Well, no one but the township that owns it is maintained with my tax dollars so I figured it wouldn't be a big deal to...." He paused a little bit and then stated: "Even though you are filling your holes in and being neat, it still eventually sinks in and leaves divots in the ground that kids trip over and get hurt on."

I'd love to obtain "official" permission and run into him again. I respect cops and would never want to do their job but boy can some of them be real A-Holes at times.

Riverbum

Jul 13, 2011
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been stopped by the BORDER PATROL as I was unaware they were watching me arrowhead hunt close to the Mexico/New Mexico border. They were friendly enough but were concerned "about me" being all the illegal activity along the border, and they suggested I move to another area. I listened to them but did not move from the area I was hunting around.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been stopped by the BORDER PATROL as I was unaware they were watching me arrowhead hunt close to the Mexico/New Mexico border. They were friendly enough but were concerned "about me" being all the illegal activity along the border, and they suggested I move to another area. I listened to them but did not move from the area I was hunting around.
Funniest? Stopped by a city park ranger. After some conversation he left me with a job offer a handful of contact info & an appointment. I came to the conclusion park rangers don't make squat & that might be why they always come off with an attitude. Yup! I was making way better sitting in an air conditioned control room writing reports with waaayyy better benefits. For awhile after that, I'd hit the pastry shop before going to that park. When he'd show up, I'd wave him over & hand him a bear claw saying "left overs from work" . If looks could kill...........

OP
OP
Rothman

Rothman

Jun 30, 2015
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funniest? Stopped by a city park ranger. After some conversation he left me with a job offer a handful of contact info & an appointment. I came to the conclusion park rangers don't make squat & that might be why they always come off with an attitude. Yup! I was making way better sitting in an air conditioned control room writing reports with waaayyy better benefits. For awhile after that, I'd hit the pastry shop before going to that park. When he'd show up, I'd wave him over & hand him a bear claw saying "left overs from work" . If looks could kill...........
That's awesome. A good retirement position!

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
That sucks man. Sorry to hear it. I’ve had it happen only in my case, I considered it more of a SWATting since the guy told them I was yelling at people (never encountered a soul in conversation). Changes the dynamic for sure. Don’t let it deter you. With the world’s population as large as it is, there’s bound to be some asshats.

Dig

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

There are always SOMEONE to show their authority, bigness in the organization, enough to stretch the rules/laws, just to hassle innocent citizens, perusing a harmless hobby...!
After all, WE aren't out there, trying to make a bad name for the hobby..., are we...?

OP
OP
Rothman

Rothman

Jun 30, 2015
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sucks man. Sorry to hear it. I’ve had it happen only in my case, I considered it more of a SWATting since the guy told them I was yelling at people (never encountered a soul in conversation). Changes the dynamic for sure. Don’t let it deter you. With the world’s population as large as it is, there’s bound to be some asshats.

Dig
Yeah, that's ridiculous. What's with people hating detectorists?

OP
OP
Rothman

Rothman

Jun 30, 2015
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After all, WE aren't out there, trying to make a bad name for the hobby..., are we...?
I know I'm surely not. I'm very good at taking care of the spots I dig and getting rid of the trash I find. Heck, I even clean up other peoples trash I find laying around. I always have permission for where I hunt.

And yet we have those people with the thought process of "How dare he clean the trash from my park while enjoying nature and a hobby! I'll call the cops!"

OP
OP
Rothman

Rothman

Jun 30, 2015
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get one of those reflective vest and in reflective tape put across the shoulders big letters like MPCC,if asked tell them you work for Municipal Park Cleaning Company. Any thing like that will work,use your imagination.
Not a bad idea!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread