What's new

Primitive Bows

bigscoop

Gold Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
14,653
Reaction score
9,097
Golden Thread
0
Location
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep,....I think I'm going to have to try to make me one, something laminated. Anyone here attempted this before, maybe built a few of their own?
 
I have always wanted to make an English Longbow, maybe we should both have a go and then compare results.
 
hammered said:
I have always wanted to make an English Longbow, maybe we should both have a go and then compare results.

I think I'm going to start with a pyramid style bow. Maybe start with red oak?
 
Tee.....I've viewed & read about everything I can find on the subject, that fella in the video makes some impressive bows but I want to start with something I feel I can handle. If I can "get'er done" then I'm going to see what I can take with it next year. I use to use recurves, shot instinctive, but then along came the compound and sights and I got away from it. Looking to get back into simplicity again, some good stalks........which is what I really enjoy most. Making my own bow would just add to the enjoyment, like tying your own flies.
 
bigscoop said:
hammered said:
I have always wanted to make an English Longbow, maybe we should both have a go and then compare results.

I think I'm going to start with a pyramid style bow. Maybe start with red oak?

OK, I will go with Yew, luckily my neighbour has a 400 year old tree that needs "pruning". Fortunately the soft outer white wood replaces the need for sinew, it's an all in one kit. If done right, I hope to make a 100 to 150 pound pull bow, time will tell if I have the skill :laughing7:.

All the best and a Merry Christmas to you and yours


Ian
 
hammered said:
bigscoop said:
hammered said:
I have always wanted to make an English Longbow, maybe we should both have a go and then compare results.

I think I'm going to start with a pyramid style bow. Maybe start with red oak?

OK, I will go with Yew, luckily my neighbour has a 400 year old tree that needs "pruning". Fortunately the soft outer white wood replaces the need for sinew, it's an all in one kit. If done right, I hope to make a 100 to 150 pound pull bow, time will tell if I have the skill :laughing7:.

All the best and a Merry Christmas to you and yours


Ian

100 to 150lb pull! Dang, you must be a real brute. I'm thinking 45 to 50lb. :laughing7: Hope you have a safe and happy Holiday season as well.
 
bigscoop said:
hammered said:
bigscoop said:
hammered said:
I have always wanted to make an English Longbow, maybe we should both have a go and then compare results.

I think I'm going to start with a pyramid style bow. Maybe start with red oak?

OK, I will go with Yew, luckily my neighbour has a 400 year old tree that needs "pruning". Fortunately the soft outer white wood replaces the need for sinew, it's an all in one kit. If done right, I hope to make a 100 to 150 pound pull bow, time will tell if I have the skill :laughing7:.

All the best and a Merry Christmas to you and yours


Ian

100 to 150lb pull! Dang, you must be a real brute. I'm thinking 45 to 50lb. :laughing7: Hope you have a safe and happy Holiday season as well.


I don't know if you have the same over there, but here we have "Field Archery". You walk around a course with set targets and targets that pop up, I started with a compound bow but moved onto a Longbow at 100 pounds. At Agincourt, the bows were 100 to 150 lbs, and the ones they found on the Mary Rose were similar. Can I do it now? time will tell :laughing7:.
 
hammered said:
bigscoop said:
hammered said:
bigscoop said:
hammered said:
I have always wanted to make an English Longbow, maybe we should both have a go and then compare results.

I think I'm going to start with a pyramid style bow. Maybe start with red oak?

OK, I will go with Yew, luckily my neighbour has a 400 year old tree that needs "pruning". Fortunately the soft outer white wood replaces the need for sinew, it's an all in one kit. If done right, I hope to make a 100 to 150 pound pull bow, time will tell if I have the skill :laughing7:.

All the best and a Merry Christmas to you and yours


Ian

100 to 150lb pull! Dang, you must be a real brute. I'm thinking 45 to 50lb. :laughing7: Hope you have a safe and happy Holiday season as well.


I don't know if you have the same over there, but here we have "Field Archery". You walk around a course with set targets and targets that pop up, I started with a compound bow but moved onto a Longbow at 100 pounds. At Agincourt, the bows were 100 to 150 lbs, and the ones they found on the Mary Rose were similar. Can I do it now? time will tell :laughing7:.

Don't they call those war bows? I think I was reading about them somewhere. If I recall they were made for long range shooting during battle.
 
Stacey Groscup showed me one of Ishi's bows , given to him by Duncan Pope . Just looked like a double tapered stick of (I think) osage orange . Doubt it would pull over 40lb . About 40 inches long .
It was deadly in the hands of a skilled operator instinct shooting .
Jim
 
bigscoop said:
hammered said:
bigscoop said:
hammered said:
bigscoop said:
hammered said:
I have always wanted to make an English Longbow, maybe we should both have a go and then compare results.

I think I'm going to start with a pyramid style bow. Maybe start with red oak?

OK, I will go with Yew, luckily my neighbour has a 400 year old tree that needs "pruning". Fortunately the soft outer white wood replaces the need for sinew, it's an all in one kit. If done right, I hope to make a 100 to 150 pound pull bow, time will tell if I have the skill :laughing7:.

All the best and a Merry Christmas to you and yours


Ian

100 to 150lb pull! Dang, you must be a real brute. I'm thinking 45 to 50lb. :laughing7: Hope you have a safe and happy Holiday season as well.


I don't know if you have the same over there, but here we have "Field Archery". You walk around a course with set targets and targets that pop up, I started with a compound bow but moved onto a Longbow at 100 pounds. At Agincourt, the bows were 100 to 150 lbs, and the ones they found on the Mary Rose were similar. Can I do it now? time will tell :laughing7:.

Don't they call those war bows? I think I was reading about them somewhere. If I recall they were made for long range shooting during battle.


Yes, basically you're right. But they are the only bows that are historically connected to my country, and like you, I would like to make an historic/modern artifact. My father was a Master Carpenter and taught me a lot, most of which I have forgotten now, but I am going to try to make, in comparison to you, a simple bow. My problem is the seasoning of the wood, this might be a long term project :laughing7:.
 
Bois d'Arc, Osage Orange, was used a lot for bows by the plains tribes in what is now Oklahoma because it was available. They were made short for better use on horseback. I have heard of them being backed with sinew or even horn, which does make sense, but I haven't seen any historical photos from the Southern Plains that show this. I have seen some sinew wrappings on bows. Regardless, these guys could allegedly sometimes put an arrow clear through a buffalo with them. (I think that really was that they missed where they should have put the arrow.)
 
RGINN said:
Bois d'Arc, Osage Orange, was used a lot for bows by the plains tribes in what is now Oklahoma because it was available. They were made short for better use on horseback. I have heard of them being backed with sinew or even horn, which does make sense, but I haven't seen any historical photos from the Southern Plains that show this. I have seen some sinew wrappings on bows. Regardless, these guys could allegedly sometimes put an arrow clear through a buffalo with them. (I think that really was that they missed where they should have put the arrow.)

I thought about Osage Orange, and I may try it later, but I can get the red oak locally at a fair "experiment price" for this first go-around. :laughing7:
 
texastee2007 said:
bigscoop said:
RGINN said:
Bois d'Arc, Osage Orange, was used a lot for bows by the plains tribes in what is now Oklahoma because it was available. They were made short for better use on horseback. I have heard of them being backed with sinew or even horn, which does make sense, but I haven't seen any historical photos from the Southern Plains that show this. I have seen some sinew wrappings on bows. Regardless, these guys could allegedly sometimes put an arrow clear through a buffalo with them. (I think that really was that they missed where they should have put the arrow.)

I thought about Osage Orange, and I may try it later, but I can get the red oak locally at a fair "experiment price" for this first go-around. :laughing7:

I know the Indians use to reinforce some of the kinds of wood with rawhide wrapping if you needed to use a lesser kind of wood for practice.

This first one is going to be all practice! :icon_scratch: :laughing7:
 
It would be best to go with what you got locally available. Being from the southern plains, I have never seen those bows made of oak, so it will be interesting to see yours. Bois d'Arc was a good trade item in the old days. Keep in mind that next you need to look into arrow manufacturing. Keep us posted!
 
If you look along the creeks in the fall and see those big green balls floating by your are close to an osage orange. If you find the tree it has giant spikes in it. They make great bows. Best to laminate
several pieces together and bandsaw the form out. That way you will get a good draw to hunt with. A 70LB draw works well with 40 being the least. Osage makes great wood for turning as well. Not sure how a red oak would do though working with it it tends to splinter
Good luck with your project and have fun :coffee2:
 
TnMountains said:
If you look along the creeks in the fall and see those big green balls floating by your are close to an osage orange. If you find the tree it has giant spikes in it. They make great bows. Best to laminate
several pieces together and bandsaw the form out. That way you will get a good draw to hunt with. A 70LB draw works well with 40 being the least. Osage makes great wood for turning as well. Not sure how a red oak would do though working with it it tends to splinter
Good luck with your project and have fun :coffee2:

Red oak probably isn't the best choice but I figure it's a good first effort wood because I'm sure I'm going to have some, "Oops moments" and some trial and error encounters. But first I have to get the shop in order, maybe another couple weeks before that's done. I do want to make a laminated bow though, maybe after this one if I come away feeling comfortable enough with the basic bow making process?
 
bigscoop said:
hammered said:
I have always wanted to make an English Longbow, maybe we should both have a go and then compare results.

I think I'm going to start with a pyramid style bow. Maybe start with red oak?



Not knowing a lot, if anything about bow making, I did some research. If I were to buy the right Yew Stave it would cost £100 to £200, so I am going with cutting a branch from my neighbours tree. There is, after some research, an amount of rawhide work to be done. Deer rawhide, no less, so more research. This is a long term project :laughing7:.


hammered
 
hammered said:
bigscoop said:
hammered said:
I have always wanted to make an English Longbow, maybe we should both have a go and then compare results.

I think I'm going to start with a pyramid style bow. Maybe start with red oak?



Not knowing a lot, if anything about bow making, I did some research. If I were to buy the right Yew Stave it would cost £100 to £200, so I am going with cutting a branch from my neighbours tree. There is, after some research, an amount of rawhide work to be done. Deer rawhide, no less, so more research. This is a long term project :laughing7:.


hammered
I have a friend that makes his own long bows and when he started he did use Bois'd Arc or Osage Orange same thing I have two huge trees in the woods next to the house if you need some wood. If your interested I can put you in touch with him.
Freddy
 
I have a longbow made of pignut hickory. I bought it, partly to use as a pattern. These bows are best for target practice, or play, unless you're into stalking.

Just in case someone don't know, Osage Orange is hedgeapple. You might have had one in your yard and didn't know it. :sunny:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom