What's new

Privey Digging?

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2007
Messages
1,312
Reaction score
11
Golden Thread
0
Location
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OK don't know that has ever been asked I am sure it has but I want to get in to privy (outhouse) hunting I have several old plantations but have no clue on where the priveys are. Anyone know how to locate them? what to look for? and how deep do I dig?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Cw
 
I don't know all the privy tricks but here are a few I feel fit the bill:

Main House...look 'out back'.."out house" and then scan the land and look for depressions in the landscape.

To help ya pinpoint that indentation of land...look for hedges * not too far* from the back of the house (privacy). Depending on where yer huntin'...I would say it can't be THAT far from the back door...and also it depends on the age of the location or the years of 'modern' inhabitant cause they had to move them every so often and would dig a new hole not far from the original, but far enough as to not collapse the previous hole.
 
Look for areas that aren't exactly leval that might have a greener patch of grass or brush that looks out of place. If you know the history of the area, like where the abanded farm houses were. Check for building foundations and pace off so many feet, yards behind the house for privies locations.

Sometimes there is metal objects dumped in privies before there back filled. I've found bottles( milk, perfume...) rotten shoes. Tin cans(food and other) toys, a coin or two that unknowenly fell out of a pocket and through the floor board.
 
I have had no luck with privy holes. I tried several and all the good glass
was broken. Nary a coin or even a marble. Some of the strong diggers
have done very well. Oh WELL . . . . lastleg
 
Thanks for the help guys :thumbsup:

Cw
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom