NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
For my Pro Pointer I got free shipping since it was over $100 - it must have counted as director not an accessory. Sorry for any confusion.

That makes sense. It's a screwy way for a business to operate though in my opinion. Spending $100 on whatever a business sells should be a no brainer for free shipping if they offer it on anything at all. Oh well. martin

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked the same thing but no response just yet from DocBeav??
Sorry Gents,
Didn't realize there was still more going on on this thread. Ed, here are the pictures I promised showing the Gator with and edge:
20130219_154646.jpg 20130219_154656.jpg 20130219_154714.jpg

Gravediggermax put the edge on it for me. He has a small bench sharpener with a belt on it. He used a rough one first then honed it a bit more with a less abrasive one. He sharpened both sides down to the metal (may buy some rustoleum and repaint it to protect it for a while but we'll see..) and it is pretty damm sharp right now! More like a dagger than digger! Good thing I have my concealed carry permit, don't wanna get in trouble for having an illegal concealed weapon!

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son rinsd one of our gstors off to remove the dirt and the orange handle came off th metal and there was an end piece that looked like a metal slug fell out.
I contacted a kellyco rep and they are replacing the digger.
I couodnt ask for better servixe than that. You dont buy equipment to have it fail but its nice to know they stand behind what ey sold.

huntindog1

Apr 20, 2012
South Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Current: CTX3030
Past: ETRAC Omega 8000, Whites DFX, Fisher F2, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Sabre Plus, Garrett GTA 1000 PM, Fisher CZ6, Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
coupon code to take off $10 is Coupon10

jollyone

Dec 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got this deal too it came in the mail Friday very happy with both pieces

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a chance to use the sharpened gator today for the first time. I was very happy with how it worked. I hunted a friends property in my neighborhood that is very sandy soil but is LOADED with roots, small and large. The gator performed flawlessly. In the past I had to hack at the ground with my small Garrett pick axe thing, but now I was actually able to slice right through the roots and make a plug. Very satisfied with this digger, but that is based on one day's quick hunt. I'll use it some more and either post my thoughts here or start a new thread.

huntindog1

Apr 20, 2012
South Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Current: CTX3030
Past: ETRAC Omega 8000, Whites DFX, Fisher F2, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Sabre Plus, Garrett GTA 1000 PM, Fisher CZ6, Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My kellyco deal today was 129.45 -$10 Coupon code for $119.45 plus free shipping.

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got mine today even with the free shipping it took only a couple of days. My initial impressions...
  • The Pro Pointer feels really solid. I can't wait to give it a field test. I'll retire my Cen-Tech (Harbor Freight) pinpointer to backup mode. For the $18 I put into it - $15 for the unit and $3 for a new switch I have no complaints. The differences in the quality of the materials and workmanship is obvious.
  • The Gator is much heavier than I expected and seems quite solid. I can see why you need to put an edge on it. Also, as noted in the video comparing the Gator to the Lesche, I don't care for the orange on the sheath either. I used a black Sharpie to tone it down a bit.

Last edited:

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The ground thawed out a bit with a few warm days and I was able to take out the Pro Pointer and Gator yesterday.

The ground was soft so digging wasn't a problem; the Gator made it easy work. The Pro Pointer worked like a charm and compared to the Cen-Tech pinpointer was much easier to work with. The difference in electronics not withstanding, there is something to be said for the superior ergonomics of the Pro Pointer. Both the Gator and Pro Pointer items exceeded my expectations.

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my PP & Gator at 2 different times and sources. Fortunately I got the digger as a scratch item for less than $20. Great deal for the combo-now.

OK-gator digger--great once you sharpen it. I faceted the serrations also so it cuts roots with ease. When sharp it will cut the top sides of the sheath. I suggest duct tapping the sheath before it starts. Mine works great.
Here is some info that you may find beneficial regarding the handle:
Remove the orange handle (came off too easy). Mine had started to get a circle cut from the top of the metal tube.
I got a hard wood dowel (3/4" I believe) measures it a 1/4" long and rounded the top. I glued it inside the metal tube. Then I glued the orange handle grip back on AND capped the end with a rubber furniture foot. I can push a hard as I want w/o hurting my hand. You will eventually cut the top of the handle grip with pressure from digging.
You definitely won't regret this mod. Very inexpensive.

I'm only sorry I didn't buy 2 at that price-I would have made one with a longer dowel as a small bladed shovel. It has enough guard to be able to use your foot when digging (for a long handled version)

bj139

Tenderfoot
Aug 8, 2011
I just got the gator. Under the handle is a thin metal disk to prevent the edge of the tube from cutting the rubber handle. Just find a quarter with your metal detector and put it under there with the slug for more support.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No kiddin. That sucks

I bought this a few weeks ago, but didn't have the $10 off coupon! Where did you get that?

The digger is the hand-spade type. It is very heavy duty and works well.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
WELL, well, well, That's a good deal compared to there inflated list price of $160, but then there is the alternative of paying $16 and getting a Cen Tec pinpointer which will pick up at the same distance. The difference could buy you the best digger in the world with plenty left over. My Cen Tec is going on 2 years old and it still finds it all. I have also spent 15 min and moded it with a bright blur LED that lights when target is detected. This gives me silent search which is good in parks with kids. I guess it just depends on how prudent you are in these hard times. Frank...

Elvis and Blues.jpg

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just bought a Garrett Pro Pointer Kit from KellyCo, The Pro Pointer, sheath, comes with a KellyCo Razor Edge Gator Digger w sheath. $127,45 less $10 internet coupon and free shipping. Gettem while they last.
Super!!! : $ -$10.00 = $117.45! Best I've seen yet. Thanks kindly.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I ordered one. I actuall had one of each but ordered one through the special for my son. I have not used the digger much, only dug a few holes with it and it worked.
My son rinsed the dirt off it and the orange grip on the handle came off and a metal end insert fell out. I will let kellyco know, but probably just glue it back on.

Ya my digger fell apart too, I bought a can of plasti dip at Lowes and dipped the bare metal handle three times, may dip it a few more. That stuff works pretty well.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got mine last week and I was wondering if an edge should be ground into it. As Doc say's, it is pretty dull. Did your friend sharpen both edges or just one? And did he do the serated parts as well? Thanks for the info, I'm a pretty clueless newbie :)

I would think sharpening anything you dig in the ground with would be a futile waste of time. Take a regular knife and jab it in the ground for a day of digging and you will see that it will be completely dulled! Unless you intend to sharpen daily you are pretty much wasting time.:BangHead:

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Two days of digging can put a lot of wear on your tools. I use these two with good results. The Gator that I plastic dipped and a treasure wise digger. Both are rugged and reliable. That is 28 quarters, one of which is silver, 37 dimes, one silver Mercury and Roosevelt. 85 pennies, only two where wheat! Two 1971 US dollars! A 71 British two pence, and one GOLD Ring. Also some silver necklace hart thing with a name on it. I really did dig until it hurt!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130421_212928.png
    ForumRunner_20130421_212928.png
    191.9 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

c21re217

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its now $20 more. B.S. $147.45.
They said they started to run out of pro pointers so they had to raise the price. Guess im still waiting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread