What's new

Probably the wrong forum, but...

yakker

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2012
Messages
1,666
Reaction score
1,241
Golden Thread
0
Location
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having looked up these things, there doesn't seem to be a forum for such things. They mostly land here as people find them thinking they're maybe worked N.A. stone- only to find that they're actually gun flints! Maybe they should be in the Rev. War forum... But not in 'Relics'- as they're not detected by metal detecting. (Maybe there should be an 'American Mudlarking' forum here...?

I went back up the Maryland to check on my house (still for sale), and went out to one of my favorite spots- which has options for long walks and very short 'look-see's'. Having just twisted the he!! out of my ankle, I opted for the nearest spot, hoping something might have washed out or in while I was in VA. I didn't see an flakes or points, but after a cold and windy search, I did find a nice little- and nearly exhausted French gun flint! So here it is, along with my growing collection of these cool little items! Thanks for looking- and HH all Yakker

018.webp 019.webp

from a hunt just before I moved- very weathered...

020.webp 022.webp

and the rest...

0322141619.webp 0322141620.webp

Cheers ;)
 
Upvote 0
Don't know why it did that yaker...we will try again..mjmIMG_20141122_125044_362.webp
 
I sure have enjoyed the knowledge shared in this thread. Keep it coming. I don't find pipes but do find flints.
 
Ha! Finally got a couple pics of my snap/trade pipes. Age- haven't got a clue. The one in particular (revealing my truly dismal photographic abilities) looks far more recent than the others- and is surprisingly unused... Of a very nicely done horse's head. The other drawer-o-bowls are all reed-stem pipes and generally 1800's (late- and into early 20th c. too) I offered a very long PDF article I'd found on the bottle site concerning a speckled pottery/slip pig... there are references 2-3 hundred (yikes) pages in - which you can scroll until you see pictures) concerning reed pipe bowls- and pics of what they'd look like outfitted with said reed. They were made many places/states east of the Mississippi, though I'm no expert. Anyhoo, here are the pics (such as they are) ;) Yakker

007.webp 008.webp 009.webp

0306141541.webp

added for your convenience- https://www.tn.gov/environment/docs/...eries_2011.pdf
 
Ha! Finally got a couple pics of my snap/trade pipes. Age- haven't got a clue. The one in particular (revealing my truly dismal photographic abilities) looks far more recent than the others- and is surprisingly unused... Of a very nicely done horse's head. The other drawer-o-bowls are all reed-stem pipes and generally 1800's (late- and into early 20th c. too) I offered a very long PDF article I'd found on the bottle site concerning a speckled pottery/slip pig... there are references 2-3 hundred (yikes) pages in - which you can scroll until you see pictures) concerning reed pipe bowls- and pics of what they'd look like outfitted with said reed. They were made many places/states east of the Mississippi, though I'm no expert. Anyhoo, here are the pics (such as they are) ;) Yakker

View attachment 1094504 View attachment 1094505 View attachment 1094506

View attachment 1094507

added for your convenience- https://www.tn.gov/environment/docs/...eries_2011.pdf


Hey Yakker,Your horse head piece/pipe was made in Germany 1930's,called a cracker Jack pipe.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/169096675/cracker-jacks-bubble-pipe-very-small-3
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom