yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having looked up these things, there doesn't seem to be a forum for such things. They mostly land here as people find them thinking they're maybe worked N.A. stone- only to find that they're actually gun flints! Maybe they should be in the Rev. War forum... But not in 'Relics'- as they're not detected by metal detecting. (Maybe there should be an 'American Mudlarking' forum here...?

I went back up the Maryland to check on my house (still for sale), and went out to one of my favorite spots- which has options for long walks and very short 'look-see's'. Having just twisted the he!! out of my ankle, I opted for the nearest spot, hoping something might have washed out or in while I was in VA. I didn't see an flakes or points, but after a cold and windy search, I did find a nice little- and nearly exhausted French gun flint! So here it is, along with my growing collection of these cool little items! Thanks for looking- and HH all Yakker

018.jpg 019.jpg

from a hunt just before I moved- very weathered...

020.jpg 022.jpg

and the rest...

0322141619.jpg 0322141620.jpg

Cheers ;)

Upvote 0

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Everything I've read shows that the diameter of the hole is very unreliable.. I believe you have a contact era piece.
I have some where the holes are so inconsistent there's more than one because the first one didn't even connect straight through to the bowl I also have some that popped out of the side of the stem.. I'm not thinking it was done with much precision.
That "formula" was devised by one man..on one site in the 1950's

Incorrect. The diameter of the hole is 100% reliable for dating purposes if the pipe was made in England prior to 1800.
Here's an older article with a chronological order by bowl style:

http://library.bridgew.edu/exhibits/BMAS/pdf/MAS-v27n01.pdf

But as far as Binford's formula, we'll have to just disagree. In fact, it is very reliable. If a formula or test can not be repeated by other researchers, it spells the end of that formula. You would think, to hear you, that the formula was only tested on that one site? Don't you realize the formula has been used with 100% success on other sites ever since? On thousands of stem fragments? Formulas, equations, test results are always subject to repeat testing by other researchers. That's how peer research works, and this equation has proven to be reliable time and again. If it proved otherwise, it would have been demonstrated as unreliable long ago and would not still be a standard guide to Kaolin pipe chronology. It is, and remains, the standard formula for dating pre 1800 British made kaolin pipes. I don't think you saying otherwise is actually going to change that! Further, The source that I quoted knows Kaolin pipes far better then you or I, he is an authority on kaolin pipes. I really must take his word over yours where the subject is concerned. If he tells me this formula works for pipes made in England prior to 1800, then that statement can be taken to the bank. You don't have to believe that of course, that doesn't concern me, your call is your call.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    434.9 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
100% really... OK

Yes indeed, Gator. Research it. 100% reliable, so long as the two conditions mentioned are met. The bore holes get smaller through time exactly by Binford's equation. Do you think the speed of light varies, Gator? Or do you think it's pretty much the same speed every time you measure it? (Well, with quantum mechanics, that might actually be debatable. Maybe bad example.) But Binford's equation works 100% of the time because the bore hole was uniform for periods of a time. I'm sorry if you find such a simple thing so hard to fathom, but when equations work, they tend to work all the time. And nobody has ever demonstrated that Binford's equation or formula table is unreliable. Including you, so far.
Research it, Gator. Binford's formula table works every time because the holes were uniform for periods of a time. Your claim that hole size is unreliable in that respect is just flat out mistaken on your part. It is not dependent on one site, Jamestown. Like any proposed equation, it's been put to the test elsewhere thousands of times and it is indeed 100% reliable, as one would expect it to be as far as that goes! One would expect it to be, not the other way around! You have not argued from facts, and you are mistaken in this instance. I don't mind in the least, but I do think folks should understand you are mistaken and they should disregard your opinion of the Binford equation entirely....

i probably should mention, that the date I got on that fragment was confirmed in hand as well, and not just by me using Binford's equation. By someone very familiar with them, who confirmed it was not that early. Second half of 18th century. Anyway, believe whatever you want, sir. You're very mistaken, but that's your problem, not mine....

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've looked at just a couple examples in hand

ForumRunner_20141217_114748.png

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow
With all those gun flints and smoking pipes and stems....it`s no wonder that all those people are dead.
laughing7.gif

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms... the American Way

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can we get some peace in one of those pipes?! Lol....pass it my way, I could use a toke.

Lol, I'm on my way to the dispensary right now! Serious, lol. 1/8th Sour Diesel should do the trick, lol.....

OP
OP
yakker

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being a mod. must be something like this... (because nothing says Christmas like...)

Me I like a good argument (forces you to think and defend your point of view) - but I missed the whole thing. I was outside burning things (got a lot of brush to clear) 8-) Cheers all- and (sing it with me!...) Happy Holidays, Happy Holidays, Have a Very Merry Christmas! Happy Holidays To YOU!!! Yakker

Last edited:

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well holy sheep....This thread ended with a whole lot a *****ing and people wanting to smoke the wacky weed.Silly wabbits if they would have done their smoking first There wouldn't have been no *****ing....Found this bowl the other day had to dump coffee on it to get it out...steam ship on one side steam locomotive maybe on the other....mjm View attachment 1093849

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well holy sheep....This thread ended with a whole lot a *****ing and people wanting to smoke the wacky weed.Silly wabbits if they would have done their smoking first There wouldn't have been no *****ing....Found this bowl the other day had to dump coffee on it to get it out...steam ship on one side steam locomotive maybe on the other....mjm View attachment 1093849

What can I say? I have a mm patient license but have never used it at the Compassion Center. As soon as I saw unclemac's comment, when I was finished laughing, I said "well, that's it, I'm taking a ride, can't put it off any longer":laughing7::laughing7::laughing7: He inspired me and it was a great experience:laughing7:
Gee, I've heard of things driving a person to drink before, but.....

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
where i live in WA state...i kid you not....we have stores the same as liquor stores popping up everywhere. Are yo 21?...come on in and buy some lollipops (or whatever) all you need is your I.D. And they have great names too...like "the joint" or "mr. Doobies".....My neighbor has a greenhouse grow operation, and is on his second crop already. World is changing that's for sure.

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll throw in the few I have picked up over the years. Not real sure the bottom left in first picture is one but if it ain't it's close.
005 (640x480) (640x480)a.jpg 004 22(800x600).jpg

OP
OP
yakker

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Maingman- I wanna see that bowl you found! Your attachment is 'invalid' ...(T-Net's words, not mine) and I really don't know what to say about that. 8-)

SCrocks- Like those flints! Hard to see the angle- maybe Charlie can help me out. The top left, 1st pic- Gun spal? Or just beat-up snap flint? One way or the other, I thank you for the show! Have a Happy :wink: Yakker

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread