What's new

Probably the wrong forum, but...

yakker

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2012
Messages
1,666
Reaction score
1,241
Golden Thread
0
Location
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having looked up these things, there doesn't seem to be a forum for such things. They mostly land here as people find them thinking they're maybe worked N.A. stone- only to find that they're actually gun flints! Maybe they should be in the Rev. War forum... But not in 'Relics'- as they're not detected by metal detecting. (Maybe there should be an 'American Mudlarking' forum here...?

I went back up the Maryland to check on my house (still for sale), and went out to one of my favorite spots- which has options for long walks and very short 'look-see's'. Having just twisted the he!! out of my ankle, I opted for the nearest spot, hoping something might have washed out or in while I was in VA. I didn't see an flakes or points, but after a cold and windy search, I did find a nice little- and nearly exhausted French gun flint! So here it is, along with my growing collection of these cool little items! Thanks for looking- and HH all Yakker

018.webp 019.webp

from a hunt just before I moved- very weathered...

020.webp 022.webp

and the rest...

0322141619.webp 0322141620.webp

Cheers ;)
 
Upvote 0
Nice Yakker,I"ve picked up a few myself.
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:
 

Attachments

  • DSCN3112.webp
    DSCN3112.webp
    1.6 MB · Views: 204
Great flint collections guy's ! :headbang: I might have 4 or 5 I have stumbled upon in Jersey , lost count , Always a Welcome find for sure .
 
Hey TK and CDM- thanks! TK- I'm looking at the one in your frame- 2nd from left, bottom row. It looks a bit like one of mine, and because the material was so unusual, I kind of dismissed it as one of those 'I don't know what the heck it is' things. In my pics- it's in the group photo at about 1 o'clock. Pyramid-shaped, but grey/blue/white. Not at all like the grey English flints- or the French honey-colored ones. It's been a head-scratcher for me. (nice collection, BTW!!)Yakker
 
Hey TK and CDM- thanks! TK- I'm looking at the one in your frame- 2nd from left, bottom row. It looks a bit like one of mine, and because the material was so unusual, I kind of dismissed it as one of those 'I don't know what the heck it is' things. In my pics- it's in the group photo at about 1 o'clock. Pyramid-shaped, but grey/blue/white. Not at all like the grey English flints- or the French honey-colored ones. It's been a head-scratcher for me. (nice collection, BTW!!)Yakker
My shot turned out dark didn't it,:laughing7: anyway here's the one you speak of looks better with some light on it. I believe yours is a gun flint as well,I'd would put it with them if it was me.
 

Attachments

  • DSCN3115.webp
    DSCN3115.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 128
  • DSCN3116.webp
    DSCN3116.webp
    613.3 KB · Views: 141
oops- didn't I say 2nd from left-- it was a blue/grey pyramid-shaped piece, next to a little scrap of something on the side where the other artifacts are... I think you got the one on the right? Yak
 
oops- didn't I say 2nd from left-- it was a blue/grey pyramid-shaped piece, next to a little scrap of something on the side where the other artifacts are... I think you got the one on the right? Yak
:laughing7: You did,& I'm back & forth from site to site on the net this morning.Yes that one for sure is in your hand & is just like mine Yakker.
 

Attachments

  • DSCN3118.webp
    DSCN3118.webp
    1.3 MB · Views: 134
  • DSCN3117.webp
    DSCN3117.webp
    959.8 KB · Views: 147
Nice looking Gun Flints guys. Here's a few I have. Not personal finds though. These are all from the same site in upper New York. The honey colored ones are French and the darker ones are English.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0040.webp
    DSC_0040.webp
    29.9 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC_0039.webp
    DSC_0039.webp
    36.9 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC_0038.webp
    DSC_0038.webp
    66.6 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC_0037.webp
    DSC_0037.webp
    67.5 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC_0036.webp
    DSC_0036.webp
    66.4 KB · Views: 134
Sweet flints Grim! Thanks ;)
 
Some more of those types blue/grey flints I've found on these mixed colonial/native American sites.And some chunks of other flints.
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0001.webp
    DSCN0001.webp
    845.7 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCN0002.webp
    DSCN0002.webp
    767.1 KB · Views: 98
would those poor quality flints be native made?.....certainly American, but what did Indians do for new flints if they couldn't or didn't trade for them?
 
Yes unclemac, I would consider them likely native made. And could also be from colonials as well that had to do what they could in times of need. As the sites I hunt like this are stretched out along the river systems here. And being some of the first to settle I'm sure they might had needed some in between shipments.
 
Those are cool! Thanks guys for sharing the pics of them because I would never had known what they were or looked like. I love this forum and have learned so much in the last year and a half I've been on here. Thanks again! HH
 
Ive found a few here in N GA.
 

Attachments

  • SDC11476.webp
    SDC11476.webp
    312.8 KB · Views: 113
The only blue ones I have ever found have been on sites with Native American artifacts.. And usually have a kind of pyramid or pillow shape
 
So with gun technology constantly changing....what is the date range for gun flints, when would we expect them to disappear from the record.
 
For the most part around the time of the introduction of percussion caps just before the Civil War
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom