Promoted our hobby today & walked away with more than I brought.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Promoted our hobby today & walked away with more than I brought.

Today, B|ker (Bill) and I did our good deed with the local community of Morrisville, NC. They were holding a "Morrisville Reunion" today along with a book signing / historical slideshow by Ernest Dollar at the Methodist church hall. Ernest is a real Civil War buff and historian. His new book "Images of America - Morrisville" is all about the history of the town and the Civil War battle that took place here on April 13th, 1865.
http://www.mindspring.com/~nixnox/history2.html

Since a lot of my finds are from the 1830's Page House in the middle of this battle area, I offered to show them at the event. Bill and I both brought some of our metal detecting finds, and the folks there loved it, including Ernest himself. Folks couldn't believe there were relics like that still to be found. ;D
We also brought our flyers and business cards hoping to drum up a few more property leads. We may have four or five that are interested.
There was food , drinks, tons of desserts and a Bluegrass band also, so it was a lot of fun for all.
Some things that I walked away with today besides a few possible leads were:

1) No one knew a "Frank Perkins" who's WWII dog tag I found in Morrisville. I was hoping someone would recognize the name, but no such luck. :'(

2) Ernest was able to give me even older history on the Page property I MD at that goes back into the 1700's. It was owned by the Jone's family as early as 1744. That may be the very family that lost the late 1700's eight reale Spanish silver coin I found there?
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,119465.msg880942.html#msg880942

3) We were approached by the Town Hall director who asked if we would be willing to display the relics once the museum is completed. Of course I said "yes". :thumbsup:

4) The town is restoring an old church so I asked if we could detect there. He said there is an archaeological team involved to document the finds on the property. I offered our help with the search if we could.

5) We were given permission to MD another area close by, but I'm keeping that spot a secret for now. :wink:

The one picture is of me (the chunky guy) with the author Ernest Dollar, and Mary Jo Page who owns the historical Page House.
The handsome fella in the red T-shirt is Bill. ;D
A wonderful day with a great group of folks. :thumbsup:
Thanks for looking,
MM

Attachments

• MVC-100S.JPG
    MVC-100S.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 2,347
  • MVC-113S.JPG
    MVC-113S.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 2,301
  • MVC-112S.JPG
    MVC-112S.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 2,328
  • MVC-111S.JPG
    MVC-111S.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 2,306
  • MVC-109S.JPG
    MVC-109S.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 2,399
  • MVC-107S.JPG
    MVC-107S.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 2,348
  • MVC-106S.JPG
    MVC-106S.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 2,346
  • MVC-105S.JPG
    MVC-105S.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 2,326
  • MVC-104S.JPG
    MVC-104S.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 2,398
  • MVC-103S.JPG
    MVC-103S.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 2,344
  • MVC-102S.JPG
    MVC-102S.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 2,331
  • MVC-101S.JPG
    MVC-101S.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 2,354
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Promoted our hobby today & walked away with more than I brought.

More pix.

Attachments

• MVC-117S.JPG
    MVC-117S.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 2,279
  • MVC-116S.JPG
    MVC-116S.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 2,279
  • MVC-115S.JPG
    MVC-115S.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 2,312

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

Wow...sounds like a great day MM!! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Outstanding Doug!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I wish I could have been there with you. I bet some of those people are out buying metal detectors right now. :D

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Evolution said:
Outstanding Doug!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I wish I could have been there with you. I bet some of those people are out buying metal detectors right now. :D

Thanks Ev.
One older lady was telling her husband , "we should get one of those honey." I said "why don't you take my card instead, and I'll come do it for you." ;D :thumbsup:
-Doug-

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

totally cool MM.... wtg :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Fantastic, Doug. I didn't know you were such a celebrity in your home town. I think you will get the golden key to your city in no time. :icon_jokercolor: Isn't it fascinating how our hobby can touch the hearts and imaginations for all of the non-detectorists once you place some of your digs in a glass case? Very nice collections you have there.

I hope some of those leads really pan out for you. You deserve to find a goldmine!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Doug, you and Bill did an outstanding job on the displays. Your passion for this hobby was shown in your presentation.

CSZ, Kirk, and I were also approached by a local archaeologist about giving a presentation to the archaeology club. I guess she liked what we were finding when we sent her some emails on our recoveries. I wouldn't mind doing a presentation once my collection increases to a respectable degree.

Kyle

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Doug, your post, your displays, attitude, public acceptance is all great, you done good! :thumbsup:

You really put together a super display for the folks and your post on it is outstanding, I wish you luck in the future sites, and I know the feeling when you have possible names to go with the artifacts, that is one aspect of our hobby that only a few of us enjoy.

Don

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.

Very nice job MM..I love the way you have them displayed,I bet everyone there did aswell.. I hope you find a ton of stuff this year.Relicdude :icon_sunny:

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

outstanding, just great and you get 4, no make that 5 attaboys and 90 hearty slaps on the back for doing such a good job. Seriously, what we as detectorists really do is..........................find history. You've found it and shown it to a lot of other people, congratulations.

Samuelben

Dec 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter lonestar/junior

Captn_SE said:
Fantastic, Doug. I didn't know you were such a celebrity in your home town. I think you will get the golden key to your city in no time. :icon_jokercolor: Isn't it fascinating how our hobby can touch the hearts and imaginations for all of the non-detectorists once you place some of your digs in a glass case? Very nice collections you have there.

I hope some of those leads really pan out for you. You deserve to find a goldmine!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

did you see his display's he already has a gold mime
save some of the finds ofr the rest of us gosh! you finds hog
heheh lol

B|lker

Apr 3, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 And
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jeez doug i thought i was going to be able to add a dozen photos but it seems you got great pics`s of your table and the crowd.

I had a great time and would do it again anytime.

I`ll never forget when we first walked into the building and your eyes lit up at all the free cake ;D

I`ve at least got 2 pics to add, the date on the church we were at at the old church across the street we`ll soon be swinging at.( HOPEFULLY)

Attachments

• pic 033.jpg
    pic 033.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 2,020
  • pic 032.jpg
    pic 032.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 2,018
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Captn_SE said:
HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Thanks Big Dan.
I'm NOT a celebrity in my town, that's why I had to go to the next town over. ;D :wink:
One of these days I'll have a free Saturday to do some detecting again. :thumbsup: Today was a real treat for me though.
-Doug-

Colonial Zoyboy said:
Doug, you and Bill did an outstanding job on the displays. Your passion for this hobby was shown in your presentation.

CSZ, Kirk, and I were also approached by a local archaeologist about giving a presentation to the archaeology club. I guess she liked what we were finding when we sent her some emails on our recoveries. I wouldn't mind doing a presentation once my collection increases to a respectable degree.
Kyle

Thanks Kyle.
It was a real pleasure for me today to see others enjoying what we as MDer's dig up. Some folks are pretty old fashioned and don't want you on their property, so I'm hoping that seeing the relics will open their eyes up.
If you guys get a chance to do a presentation, go for it! From what I've seen of your digs since I've been on TN, you have more than enough to show.
I wish I had the oldiest you three have found. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

Don in SJ said:
Doug, your post, your displays, attitude, public acceptance is all great, you done good! :thumbsup:
You really put together a super display for the folks and your post on it is outstanding, I wish you luck in the future sites, and I know the feeling when you have possible names to go with the artifacts, that is one aspect of our hobby that only a few of us enjoy.
Don

Thank you Don. I really enjoyed showing the relics today and hopefully giving us MDer's a good name.
You are so right about putting the name with the artifact. I struck out on the Frank Perkins dog tag, but am super happy to find out the possible owner/family of the Spanish silver piece. It was neat to see the map showing the owners back into that time period. Every time I look at that find I think of you. I thank you so much for helping me ID that. Being a 1700's counterfeit really adds to the history of it even more. :thumbsup:
This conterfeit 8 reale, and the CW Eagle sword belt plate are my favorite finds so far.
Now if I could just find some 1800's coins. :wink:
-Doug-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

B|lker said:
Jeez doug i thought i was going to be able to add a dozen photos but it seems you got great pics`s of your table and the crowd.
I had a great time and would do it again anytime.
I`ll never forget when we first walked into the building and your eyes lit up at all the free cake ;D
I`ve at least got 2 pics to add, the date on the church we were at at the old church across the street we`ll soon be swinging at.( HOPEFULLY)

O.K., I admit it. I have a sweet tooth. As you can see, that's how I keep my girlish figure. :wink: Were there some desserts there or what?!!!
Folks, there must have been four huge 8' tables full of FREE desserts there. I did donate $ to the church too though to cover what I ate. :wink:

Thanks for adding those great pictures. That old church is so cool. :thumbsup:
I had a great time too. Thanks for your help today.
-Doug-
P.S. I still think that lady was hitting on you. Did see leave her # with you with those tickets she gave you? You DOG!

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice going, guys. Looks like you had a great time.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rwsnc said:
Nice going, guys. Looks like you had a great time.

Bob,
You should have come with us. Tiger Woods, Arnold Palmer, and Jack Nicholas were there too. :o :wink:
They were doing a presentation on the history of golf tees through the ages, and dimes used as ball markers on the greens. It was breath taking. ;D :wink:
-Doug-

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Doug,

I have to agree with everyone else, you and Bill did a outstanding job...the displays, presentation, the whole nine yards. :thumbsup: Hope you guys got a signed copy of Ernest Dollar's book. ;D

:wink: RR

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

River Rat said:
Doug,

I have to agree with everyone else, you and Bill did a outstanding job...the displays, presentation, the whole nine yards. :thumbsup: Hope you guys got a signed copy of Ernest Dollar's book. ;D
:wink: RR

Oh yeah, I got mine signed by Ernest AND Mary Jo Page that owns the historical Page House where I MD.
I think Bill got his signed by the lady that was serving food? ;D :wink:
-Doug-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread