prospecting in MA

ma-nh-hunters

Aug 5, 2013
Tewksbury ma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Went up to what I believe is couch brook, dipped our pans in, ran the high banker (electric) and found a good amount of flour gold. so now I have 2 questions,,, one,, was I really on couch brook? it was on couch brook rd,, although on keets brook rd the map shows couch brook next to it.
second question,, is there a home made tool, bowl, method to remove the flower gold? should I screen this down further,, 100 ish microns? and we will be back out there,,this time with a hand made (hand powered) dredger...

wait one more question,, anybody ever found gold in the fellsway? the topo is perfect for it, and I believe we actually did a few weeks ago,, again flour gold..

Upvote 0

GarySluicie

Greenie
Aug 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello there..i dont know if alot of ppl on here know where ur talking about...but, I do... couch brook is where you were. used to go there all the time...no flour gold...alll small specks but not much flour. There have been lots of ppl up there with dredges and have cleaned only the big stuff out. If you go to the lower side (downstream) from the bridge there is alot of fine gold there..smalll but much bigger than flour.

I live right down the street from the fellsway...never found gold there...but idno what the rules are. Can you give me an idea of where you found it? I have been checking on the melrose side east of the reseviour.

There is a way to facilitate the separation of gold...check out the "miller table" method. i made one from a couple pieces of scrap wood anf some chaulk board paint.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I picked up a Blue Bowl that is supposed to work really well, still haven't used it yet, haven't done any panning or anything this year.

GarySluicie

Greenie
Aug 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there, ben, i have a blue bowl...but im just not happy with it

GarySluicie

Greenie
Aug 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made a miller table, although i have yet to try it out. the blue bowl will only work wth $120.00 worth of classifiers and time. I met a gentleman on couch brook one day and he told me about a miller table and gold hog matting. After using the gopd hog stuf...i would be surprised if the miller table doesnt do well. All you need is a flat surface (alot of pro machines are made out of pool table slate. There are alot of ppl with hem on here so check it out.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I will check them out. But I already have the classifiers down to 100 mesh, I hope to try the blue bowl this fall

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread