Prospecting Vehicle

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I posted this on my journal thread but wanted to share with the crowd here as well. This is my Prospecting vehicle, a 86 Honda reflex trl200 trials bike towing a custom sherpax trailer. All ca plated with working lights, able to carry whatever I may need down some trails that you could only walk or ride a motorcycle down due to width. I added a lot to the trailer as they don't come with everything I have on mine. I upgraded my gps as well to a garmin inreach explorer that's tied to the phone via bluetooth that allows me to view all sorts of different map and data combos. The trailer will fit an entire 2" water pump inside with the lid closed!

DSC_9529.jpg DSC_9532.jpg DSC_9539.JPG DSC_9544.jpg P_20170807_162058_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Asmbandits

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one sweet setup bug! I've considered electric conversion myself, what kind of kit is that and how does it do with steep hills?

Last edited:

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
On 60 minutes tonight they had a guy who puts motors into the frames of bikes for the tour de france bikers. He has a motor in a frame and a motor inside the wheel hub. If that don't beat all. And the tour riders have been using them since 1998...go figure! If you can't drug enhance the riders you can enhance the bikes!

Bejay

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I picked up a Bafang hd kit with 48v battery and 30 tooth front sprocket, to help on the hills. The kits are easy to install and Im pretty happy with it, but might upgrade to a 52 volt battery for a little extra boost. Ya Bejay I saw a video of a guy crash in one of the tour races and the rear wheel kept powering after hitting the ground. Pretty funny stuff.

OP
OP
Asmbandits

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Added 12v and usb outlet to charge devices while riding. I can also now charge my drone batteries with the bike as well just let it idle and use it like a generator. I could even plug in a lil 110v inverter and let it idle and it would basically be a lil generator lol.

IMG_20170903_125334_01.jpg P_20170903_125402_vHDR_Auto.jpg

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great information and pictures guys. Amsbandits, do the brace/bracket connections of the trailer to the bike axle lock on in a manner that allows the trailer to freely pivot up and down at that point? Is that so with the lightweight bicycle trailer also? Do you recall the brand of the bicycle trailer?

Thanks again,
Mike

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice bike! Here was my solution to some of the smaller hiking trails. Totally quiet electric motor and also fun to ride. Most just think its a regular mountain bike as you cruise past. View attachment 1490311
Nice bike but since the motor is not in the wheels you will not get regenerative braking witch charges your battery when going down hill. Not only does it extend your range but also helps slow you down when going down hill.

OP
OP
Asmbandits

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
looks great EXCEPT for the rig your child is riding in !! The exhaust is blowing right back at her and the noise would eventually be a big problem down the road! and I don't see any provision for any flex in the hitch for going over deep ruts and such!

OP
OP
Asmbandits

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That pic was taken in the garage on the kick stand, just though it was cute and is the only picture I have of that trailer. I would never tow her behind come on russau have a little faith in me! Not sure what your referring to with the hitch, Ive tested both trailers successfully and had the sherpax on some very technical stuff on the Eagle lakes ohv trail near Truckee CA. Works like a charm so far!

Now looking at photos again I think I see what your referring to. Yes if you were in deep enough of a rut the trailer would bottom out on the sides, so I guess I better say out of the deep ruts!

Last edited:

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That pic was taken in the garage on the kick stand, just though it was cute and is the only picture I have of that trailer. I would never tow her behind come on russau have a little faith in me!

LOL, I always tow my girl behind a dirtbike. Ah just giver her an IPAD, she will be fine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Asmbandits, I really appreciate you sharing you experience and wisdom with us. Hell, I can just see this older guy zooming down the dusty Forest Service roads with my trailer in tow. Ha Ha, make my day.

Now, off to work, ugh! Smokey as the dickens with all the fires around us.

Mike

OP
OP
Asmbandits

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I can imagine it must be really bad for you up that way. It was really bad down in the bay area last week, ive never seen it that bad before you would think there was buildings on fire in town nearby yet its from the multiple fires all around 100's of miles away..

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I miss my Honda Elsinore, sold it about 1986. Not sure how rugged the country is where you live, but that would be hard to maneuver on many of the trails here. Fortunately my wife usually yells at me before I get in too much of jam.

OP
OP
Asmbandits

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I miss my Honda Elsinore, sold it about 1986. Not sure how rugged the country is where you live, but that would be hard to maneuver on many of the trails here. Fortunately my wife usually yells at me before I get in too much of jam.

One of my first dirtbikes was a Honda MR175 Elsinore, what a sweet bike.. Had so much low end power for a 2 cycle and would climb anything!

Darth Placer

Mar 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice setup Asmbandits, I went the Po Boy route and rebuilt a 50$ junked Baja 165... added missing trim, Predator 6hp engine, torque converter, and a custom trailer that doubled as the dredge/highbanker platform. Worked really well, except for deeper water crossings.. once that torque converter belt gets wet it will slip until the water flicks off.

This is a pic with everything loaded for a 2.5" dredge banker packed like a Jenga puzzle.

NRBahd7.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread