Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Victor. In my beginning days of MD'ing, I learned early to dig up most everything as I was still learning. Lanny taught me a phrase about your "disappearing" targets.

Canslaw: An undesirable piece of metal/mineral under ground that disintegrates into a non-signal upon being moved.

No way to get around it. Even high end gold detectors have their problems with hot rocks so best advice I can offer up is to just use it as another tool for prospecting and don't forget you have it, especially for cracks and crevice.

You still plan to be underwater this year? Does your detector have a water proof coil?

Good luck with your season!

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Good luck Victor! I would also recommend a good underwater metal detector or at least one that can be submerged up to just before the control box. I know that there are some VLF machines that will work in water and highly mineralized soils but a PI machine would be the best option. These would be great for the deep cracks and crevices of the bedrock and larger rocks on the bottom of which you cannot see what is in them. The great thing about a PI machine is that most of them are great in highly mineralized soils but you would still be digging every signal as they do not have discrimination. I hope to get to some great Gold areas in North Carolina this year and put my' PI machines to work in the streams, their' banks and the adjacent areas below the flood line. There is one such stream that has drainage from an area where an 8 pound Gold Nugget was found in the 1880's and usually if there is a Momma Bear, then there are sometimes some little ones and occasionally an old crusty Grandpa, LOL!!

Frank

Dgoldman

Feb 24, 2014
So calif
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Makro pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Victor

Glad things are looking up and you're getting close to getting back in the water. Something you may want to consider when you snipe. I purchased a Makro pin pointer a few months back and am loving it. Its inexpensive. It's IP67 rated (waterproof) to one meter. I've had good luck in the area I go to sniping recently. I think it would be perfect for the area that you and I were at and would allow to check out those bedrock cracks in and out of the water a lot faster. Wish I had a few months ago. Good Luck!

OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So today I made a trip out to the

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well everything got

Attachments

• DSC00074.JPG
    DSC00074.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC00073.JPG
    DSC00073.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I think I am squared away...

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice solution! As a diver I have to say you really should have a buddy with you...be careful out there!

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Off to a righteous start MM. And so many little annoyances...is there any other way to prospect? I have yet to find it. Normal for sure. Just put a little meat on that skinny arse and that weight problem will be solved. Worked for me anyway. If not, how about a rope attached to a heavy rock and a carabiner on the other? You do dive with a knife right? My wife loves my beard so I can only dive for a bit...just until the level reaches my nose. lol

Stay safe and heavy...er inner tubes???

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm glad you got out. With family nonetheless.

The au will come.. its All around YJ

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Liked the video and the music. Watching it reminded me of watching the first moon walk on tv back in the day. Helpful hint...spend more time looking down...especially @ 1:13 :laughing7: J/K

Last edited:

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Aw Victor...I was afraid of that. J/K = just kidding. For the record, you do great work and I look forward to each and every one of your videos. What I was referring to was all that glittery stuff at your feet...reminded me of Bering Sea Gold without drama. Focus on your gold and tell/show us as you can. :icon_thumright:

Prayers for your dad's health. Spend all the time you can with him.

inshanity

Greenie
Mar 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marshall,

I'm a long time diver, so I might have some helpful info regarding dive weight/belts.

Dive belt - If you have a nylon belt it needs a robust metal buckle, not the plastic or thin metal ones. They will loosen constantly and drive you crazy. For the long term I would suggest getting a thick rubber belt (example http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008LZ6O88/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1). They keep the weights tight against you, but also flex. SOOO much better than nylon belts. Disclaimer, you need a specific type of lead weights for these belts. Also, when you have the much weight around your hips, after a while your lower back will start to hurt. At least mine does. If this happens to you, you can buy a weight vest to better distribute the weight. You can pick up most, if not all these things used on the scuba/spearfishing forums.

Oh, and if you have a gopro I'm almost positive I have an extra head mount you can have. Let me know if you're interested in it and I'll see if I can dig it up. I'm local

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread