What's new

Purchasing guns online

Yeah, just ask Omar! Even being on the FBI's watch list didn't stop him!

ap_320289198943_custom-2cba19bccc6c75b0322d9140cb347e45a2c96bc2-s900-c85.jpg


They ended their investigation at the direction of the state department, it was considered racist....
 
Called the shop..(There is a 300 Savage 99 takedown with original tang site in the rack now....along with one without I keep ogling, but one with original sites has been on a note I want it if spotted list... hmmmm :icon_scratch: maybe a lampshade could help sneak it in the house.)

A background check here does not require a serial number.
The check is on the buyer ,not the gun.
Perhaps the background check and transfer were lumped together in the information you received.
 
I get your point limitool..... It's kind of like trying to check for a ATV or serial number check on a gun before you buy it too to make sure you are making a legal purchase...They won't just run the number and check it to see if it's stolen or not without it in front of them or already in your hands, that's not my job to police others and I don't get paid for that, I just want to know if the number is good or not. At least that has been my experience....

I mean? You should be able to go get a background check, then pick your gun! The serial number should make no difference! Not if it's for a background check.. To register it maybe? But what should be and what is, are confused lately! :laughing7:

I like GIBs way of thinking! Skip all that mess and buy it off a private individual!
 
Sorry, I read a few posts and jumped here to comment while the thought was dangling precariously on the edge of my memory! :tongue1:

What you read said "No returns on firearms", right? Yet you cannot take possession of the firearm unless and until you pass the background check and pay for it, correct? In other words, you cannot take possession of said firearm until you have both paid for the firearm AND passed the background check, thereby allowing the dealer to hand the firearm to you.

Now, I know this sounds an awful lot like some stupid thing called "common sense", but could this be a practical thought? If they had said "no refunds, regardless of outcome of sale", THEN it would be very plain and simple.

Might wanna read up on their fine print and see just what they mean by "No Returns".

I did read the fine print.... NO RETURNS when shipped! They don't care if you pass a background check or not when they ship to a licensed dealer.

Your worrying about nothing, background check is simple, ever convicted of a felony, ever charged with domestic violence, no? you passed.

I'm not worrying at all about passing (I will) and I know it's simple and quick. No felony or domestic charge EVER! I know better to even ask for one then if those were present. My problem is spending $1,500 + and then seeing if I can have it!!!!! I called another dealer today and he told me the exact same thing. If they have to order a gun for me I'll have to pay for it and THEN a background check will be done! If I or someone then fails they said no returns, no gun transfer and I'd have to wait for them to sell it FOR ME to someone else!

In Florida we are told that we don't have a requirement to register our firearms.

When you go to the gun store and submit to a background check, why do they put the make, model, and serial number of the firearm on the background check that the federal government keeps?

Why not just do the background check without all the firearm information?

Not an option to do just a background check w/Fed Govt. to see if your eligible to buy a gun. Your right G.I.B you don't have to register the guns you now own.... but if you buy one now from a dealer rest assured it WILL be registered with the Federal Govt. I just found this out in the last 2 days. Two dealers said to order a gun online I'd have to pay first, have it delivered to them and then enter the serial number of the weapon and my personal information to see if I was eligible.

To me that's getting the cart ahead of horse. And your right T.H..... Nothing to "worry about".... but who wants to gamble. Wouldn't you just want to know and then go shopping?
 
im pretty sure you can look yourself up on the fbi website and see your record. I know for certain you can if you fail the background check for any reason.
 
Maybe it's a way to keep a record of where that gun is at that time and where it might be headed. I agree, the check should be on you.....not the gun.
 
I think you're building a bridge where there ain't no creek. Just buy the gun and go forward. I do it all the time. You could have been shooting it by now.
 
I think you're building a bridge where there ain't no creek. Just buy the gun and go forward. I do it all the time. You could have been shooting it by now.

Maybe Nate... But what am I missing? So you lay down your money first on a weapon and then get a background check? I just find that ass-backwards. That would be like giving a car dealer 3 grand to hold a car for ya.... and then going to see if you can find financing.

Has anyone else ordered a weapon online, paid for it, had it delivered to a dealer and then applied to see if you can own it? I don't understand why you can't find out first if your eligible.
 
One of the reasons to just support your local gun shop. I have only ordered online one time and that was because I was building an AR and had to have the lower shipped to the dealer for background check. Otherwise all of my purchases are my LGS even if its a few $$ more because when you add in shipping/FFL fee its usually pretty close.

If you haven't had prior arrests/convictions you shouldn't be worried.
 
Last edited:
One of the reasons to just support your local gun shop. I have only ordered online one time and that was because I was building an AR and had to have the lower shipped to the dealer for background check. Otherwise all of my purchases are my LGS even if its a few $$ more because when you add in shipping/FFL fee its usually pretty close.

If you haven't had prior arrests/convictions you shouldn't be worried.

Hell... I'm not worried about passing. That's NOT my point at all. My point is why can't I find out first before plunking down a lot of money on a weapon and then see? And if the gun shop has to order one in nothing changes.... I still have to pay first then see. But if I pick out one in stock I understand I can.... I just don't get it. I would buy it from the local gun shop.... if they had it!
 
Maybe ...the concept is another piece of legislation to discourage gun buying by some/any potential buyer(s)?
 
My point is why can't I find out first before plunking down a lot of money on a weapon and then see?

You can always look at the current law and see if you qualify. You can also purchase something inexpensive that requires the check to see. Those are pretty safe ways. I have heard stories of names getting mixed up with the FFL check which had to be worked out via an attorney. Its definitely a risk you take when ordering online.
 
Hell... I'm not worried about passing. That's NOT my point at all. My point is why can't I find out first before plunking down a lot of money on a weapon and then see? And if the gun shop has to order one in nothing changes.... I still have to pay first then see. But if I pick out one in stock I understand I can.... I just don't get it. I would buy it from the local gun shop.... if they had it!
It all has to do with lawmakers. They write things up with so much legal-ease that it can often be interpreted any number of ways, and usually doesn't address many real-world issues.
 
It's the same procedure if you drive over the state line and order. It would have to be shipped to your local store, in your state. I guess it's to keep the terrorists from just ordering whatever they want.
 
You can always look at the current law and see if you qualify. You can also purchase something inexpensive that requires the check to see. Those are pretty safe ways. I have heard stories of names getting mixed up with the FFL check which had to be worked out via an attorney. Its definitely a risk you take when ordering online.

Good post.... That's MY POINT! I wanna know if I can pass before spending a lot of money... not learning later. Law...? I know I qualify and passed before but way back 15-20 years ago. And nothing has changed on my part. But I'd just like to know before hand again. I didn't have to pay for a weapon beforehand for my .22 mag until my background came back. Then I bought it.

But your idea of buying something cheap is a better idea. I think I'll go in to the local gun shop, pick out a cheap pistol and see.
 
Good post.... That's MY POINT! I wanna know if I can pass before spending a lot of money... not learning later. Law...? I know I qualify and passed before but way back 15-20 years ago. And nothing has changed on my part. But I'd just like to know before hand again. I didn't have to pay for a weapon beforehand for my .22 mag until my background came back. Then I bought it.

But your idea of buying something cheap is a better idea. I think I'll go in to the local gun shop, pick out a cheap pistol and see.

Getting a conceal carry permit is also another way. If you have a ccw permit and can renew it then purchasing would be no problem since even the most laxed ccw is more restricted than purchasing. I know a few states where this wouldnt work as I believe some require no permit.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom