Purchasing guns online

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, just ask Omar! Even being on the FBI's watch list didn't stop him!

ap_320289198943_custom-2cba19bccc6c75b0322d9140cb347e45a2c96bc2-s900-c85.jpg

They ended their investigation at the direction of the state department, it was considered racist....

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Called the shop..(There is a 300 Savage 99 takedown with original tang site in the rack now....along with one without I keep ogling, but one with original sites has been on a note I want it if spotted list... hmmmm :icon_scratch: maybe a lampshade could help sneak it in the house.)

A background check here does not require a serial number.
The check is on the buyer ,not the gun.
Perhaps the background check and transfer were lumped together in the information you received.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get your point limitool..... It's kind of like trying to check for a ATV or serial number check on a gun before you buy it too to make sure you are making a legal purchase...They won't just run the number and check it to see if it's stolen or not without it in front of them or already in your hands, that's not my job to police others and I don't get paid for that, I just want to know if the number is good or not. At least that has been my experience....

I mean? You should be able to go get a background check, then pick your gun! The serial number should make no difference! Not if it's for a background check.. To register it maybe? But what should be and what is, are confused lately! :laughing7:

I like GIBs way of thinking! Skip all that mess and buy it off a private individual!

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, I read a few posts and jumped here to comment while the thought was dangling precariously on the edge of my memory! :tongue1:

What you read said "No returns on firearms", right? Yet you cannot take possession of the firearm unless and until you pass the background check and pay for it, correct? In other words, you cannot take possession of said firearm until you have both paid for the firearm AND passed the background check, thereby allowing the dealer to hand the firearm to you.

Now, I know this sounds an awful lot like some stupid thing called "common sense", but could this be a practical thought? If they had said "no refunds, regardless of outcome of sale", THEN it would be very plain and simple.

Might wanna read up on their fine print and see just what they mean by "No Returns".

I did read the fine print.... NO RETURNS when shipped! They don't care if you pass a background check or not when they ship to a licensed dealer.

Your worrying about nothing, background check is simple, ever convicted of a felony, ever charged with domestic violence, no? you passed.

I'm not worrying at all about passing (I will) and I know it's simple and quick. No felony or domestic charge EVER! I know better to even ask for one then if those were present. My problem is spending $1,500 + and then seeing if I can have it!!!!! I called another dealer today and he told me the exact same thing. If they have to order a gun for me I'll have to pay for it and THEN a background check will be done! If I or someone then fails they said no returns, no gun transfer and I'd have to wait for them to sell it FOR ME to someone else!

In Florida we are told that we don't have a requirement to register our firearms.

When you go to the gun store and submit to a background check, why do they put the make, model, and serial number of the firearm on the background check that the federal government keeps?

Why not just do the background check without all the firearm information?

Not an option to do just a background check w/Fed Govt. to see if your eligible to buy a gun. Your right G.I.B you don't have to register the guns you now own.... but if you buy one now from a dealer rest assured it WILL be registered with the Federal Govt. I just found this out in the last 2 days. Two dealers said to order a gun online I'd have to pay first, have it delivered to them and then enter the serial number of the weapon and my personal information to see if I was eligible.

To me that's getting the cart ahead of horse. And your right T.H..... Nothing to "worry about".... but who wants to gamble. Wouldn't you just want to know and then go shopping?

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
im pretty sure you can look yourself up on the fbi website and see your record. I know for certain you can if you fail the background check for any reason.

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Maybe it's a way to keep a record of where that gun is at that time and where it might be headed. I agree, the check should be on you.....not the gun.

Nate53

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you're building a bridge where there ain't no creek. Just buy the gun and go forward. I do it all the time. You could have been shooting it by now.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you're building a bridge where there ain't no creek. Just buy the gun and go forward. I do it all the time. You could have been shooting it by now.

Maybe Nate... But what am I missing? So you lay down your money first on a weapon and then get a background check? I just find that ass-backwards. That would be like giving a car dealer 3 grand to hold a car for ya.... and then going to see if you can find financing.

Has anyone else ordered a weapon online, paid for it, had it delivered to a dealer and then applied to see if you can own it? I don't understand why you can't find out first if your eligible.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
One of the reasons to just support your local gun shop. I have only ordered online one time and that was because I was building an AR and had to have the lower shipped to the dealer for background check. Otherwise all of my purchases are my LGS even if its a few $$ more because when you add in shipping/FFL fee its usually pretty close.

If you haven't had prior arrests/convictions you shouldn't be worried.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of the reasons to just support your local gun shop. I have only ordered online one time and that was because I was building an AR and had to have the lower shipped to the dealer for background check. Otherwise all of my purchases are my LGS even if its a few $$ more because when you add in shipping/FFL fee its usually pretty close.

If you haven't had prior arrests/convictions you shouldn't be worried.

Hell... I'm not worried about passing. That's NOT my point at all. My point is why can't I find out first before plunking down a lot of money on a weapon and then see? And if the gun shop has to order one in nothing changes.... I still have to pay first then see. But if I pick out one in stock I understand I can.... I just don't get it. I would buy it from the local gun shop.... if they had it!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe ...the concept is another piece of legislation to discourage gun buying by some/any potential buyer(s)?

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
My point is why can't I find out first before plunking down a lot of money on a weapon and then see?

You can always look at the current law and see if you qualify. You can also purchase something inexpensive that requires the check to see. Those are pretty safe ways. I have heard stories of names getting mixed up with the FFL check which had to be worked out via an attorney. Its definitely a risk you take when ordering online.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Hell... I'm not worried about passing. That's NOT my point at all. My point is why can't I find out first before plunking down a lot of money on a weapon and then see? And if the gun shop has to order one in nothing changes.... I still have to pay first then see. But if I pick out one in stock I understand I can.... I just don't get it. I would buy it from the local gun shop.... if they had it!
It all has to do with lawmakers. They write things up with so much legal-ease that it can often be interpreted any number of ways, and usually doesn't address many real-world issues.

Ima digger

Apr 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's the same procedure if you drive over the state line and order. It would have to be shipped to your local store, in your state. I guess it's to keep the terrorists from just ordering whatever they want.

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can always look at the current law and see if you qualify. You can also purchase something inexpensive that requires the check to see. Those are pretty safe ways. I have heard stories of names getting mixed up with the FFL check which had to be worked out via an attorney. Its definitely a risk you take when ordering online.

Good post.... That's MY POINT! I wanna know if I can pass before spending a lot of money... not learning later. Law...? I know I qualify and passed before but way back 15-20 years ago. And nothing has changed on my part. But I'd just like to know before hand again. I didn't have to pay for a weapon beforehand for my .22 mag until my background came back. Then I bought it.

But your idea of buying something cheap is a better idea. I think I'll go in to the local gun shop, pick out a cheap pistol and see.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Good post.... That's MY POINT! I wanna know if I can pass before spending a lot of money... not learning later. Law...? I know I qualify and passed before but way back 15-20 years ago. And nothing has changed on my part. But I'd just like to know before hand again. I didn't have to pay for a weapon beforehand for my .22 mag until my background came back. Then I bought it.

But your idea of buying something cheap is a better idea. I think I'll go in to the local gun shop, pick out a cheap pistol and see.

Getting a conceal carry permit is also another way. If you have a ccw permit and can renew it then purchasing would be no problem since even the most laxed ccw is more restricted than purchasing. I know a few states where this wouldnt work as I believe some require no permit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread