What's new

✅ SOLVED Purpose for this brass fitting(?)

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2017
Messages
2,316
Reaction score
3,897
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
Other
Dug what I think is a small brass fitting with a lid at a new permission where the home was built about 1831. When the lid is opened there is small hole when you look inside. There is another small hole on the other end. Trying to correctly ID & determine its purpose.
 

Attachments

  • Brass fitting.webp
    Brass fitting.webp
    63.6 KB · Views: 145
Looks like something I'd see in a vintage doll house or a curio shelf.

My mom (From Holland) had these brass implements on a shelf when we were growing up. Example a butter churn, girl carrying water buckets, windmill, wooden shoes (Brass), tea cup and saucer, well, etc.
 
Upvote 0
Looks like something I'd see in a vintage doll house or a curio shelf.

My mom (From Holland) had these brass implements on a shelf when we were growing up. Example a butter churn, girl carrying water buckets, windmill, wooden shoes (Brass), tea cup and saucer, well, etc.
Sarge, thanks for the tip & I'll definitely look into it. Before posting, I did a Google image search and saw a Cracker Jack tea/coffee pot - and while isn't the same - is in the same direction.
 
Upvote 0
I first thought possibly an oil cup for dripping oil to a friction point on a large piece of equipment
Blackfoot58, thanks for another interesting tip. I think the thickness of the lid & casing wouldn't stand up to industrial/agricultural use. That said, Just checked and and water poured through the top exits out the bottom hole instantly. Oil would probably do the same. Its almost as if someone re-purposed a bullet casing into a miniature tea pot.
 
Upvote 0
Interesting piece, but of unknown usage to me.
 
Upvote 0
As far as being a toy goes, it looks like a miniature toy double boiler to me.
Sandog, now that you mention it, it kinda does. I'm going to clean it up a bit more and give it to the homeowners. They have a small child that may have a miniature doll house - that this will fit right in w/ - regardless if its a double boiler or tea pot.

Thanks to all who helped ID. Will mark this one solved!
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Anchor?
Replies
1
Views
378
  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED What is it?
Replies
24
Views
2K

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom