It was very random how we linked up. I noticed some of his posts on TNet and we started PM'ing and we put a few things together and realized went to high school together. We actually grew up a few miles a part and fished all the same bodies of water. Mentor - I would have to say so. When I first started I made all the usual mistakes and he became a good sounding board. We both love to read local history and just love rocks. I learned a lot from him and just being able to touch his collection. Probably the only
One negative to this hobby is the secretive nature of hot spots - cool thing with Ben is we share everything. We have our own fields - for example, he has a field where he has permission - I only go with him and not try to get permission myself. I have permission at a field and Ben would come with me. Mentors are great especially when they are good friends. We both have some big plans - so expect more postings soon. We have some permission to dig at some potential good sites... we shall see.
Sorry long winded - but Rock you bring up a good point. It's like all walks in life you need a mentor to be successful and to drive you.
Thanks for the question Rock makes me realize what a great mentor and better friend I have.