What's new

Question about the Minelab Excalibur 1000

Jeannie

Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
35
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Location
Jacksonville, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / Viper Trident
I am considering buying the Minelab Excalibur 1000. I've read so often how good this machine works underwater.
I just have a few questions before I make the decision to buy it.

1. Does this machine work well in both fresh water and salt water?

2. How well does it work hunting on dry land such as our backyard or in a park? Or should I buy
a seperate MD to use on dry land?
 
The Excaliber is basically a Sovereign, in a water-proof container. The Soveriegn is used on land frequently, but it's a "taste" issue. Ie.: "what do you prefer?"

The warbly drawn out sounds of the Excaliber/Sovereign might drive some people crazy on land (where targets, nail, foil, tabs, coins, etc... are more close together) verses the wide open beach where targets are spread apart (thanx to mother nature) and thus easier to separate, listen to, etc....

It also depends on the type land sites you intend to hunt, what your goals are, etc... I certainly would go crazy trying to use my Excaliber on land sites that I hunt, because I frequently find myself in junky demolition sites, ruins-type sites, etc... where iron and junk abounds. I prefer a machine that responds and separates quicker than the long drawn out "boooongs" of the Excaliber. So for me, I have separate machines. But I have heard of persons using the Excal for land hunting. I guess you just have to go reeeallll slow to isolate beeps :)
 
I own an Excalibur 1000 for my beach and water hunting. I use a Whites MXT and a Tesoro Tejon for my land hunting. I don't think I could stand the excalibur while trying to hunt for relics.

As far as fresh and salt water, I hunt in the salt water mostly and the one time I hunted fresh water I really didn't notice a difference but, like I said, I have only hunted fresh water once with it.

I really like my excalibur 1000 for water and beach hunting and I would recommend a different detector for land.
 
The Excal 1000 can also be used on land, but being a water detector it will be heavier than one built for land use. There is no difference in the Excals use in fresh or saltwater. Many like the option to change to a smaller coil for trashy land sites or a larger coil also for extreme depth for relics. Land units are a personal thing an many like the light weight Tesoro's for land.

I am now using a Sov GT for most of my land hunting with the Excal 1000 for water.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom