pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can you use a metal detector on the River Thames?

Metal detecting on the River Thames foreshore requires a separate permit from the Port of London Authority. Finds above the low water mark are generally the property of the landowner, unless classified as Treasure.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IIRC, there are also different levels of permits too, depending on the particular area of the Thames you wish to detect, and who is applying for the permit. I think foreigners get a more restrictive permit than British subjects. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve seen videos of many mudlarking as they call it in Britain. Seems they need no permit to pick up what they see

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With a large piece of the Thames recently gone dry, is it legal in England to detect the dry river bed?

There's some duff information being given above.

The simple answer is “yes”, but only if you have an appropriate permit; only on certain stretches of the river; and you are searching for personal enjoyment, not financial gain.

All foreshore in the UK has an owner, and you need the landowner’s permission to search it. There is no “public right” (although in some beach areas, the Crown Estate gives blanket permission). The PLA (Port of London Authority) and the Crown Estate are the largest land owners of Thames foreshore and jointly issue a permit, administered by the PLA. The foreshore is still defined as such, even when the river level temporarily drops to the extent it’s bone-dry.

The standard PLA permit is valid only for particular locations West of the “Thames Barrier” (a huge retractable defence system that protects the city from storm surges and exceptionally high tides) through to Richmond Lock, upstream. There are additional restrictions, such as around the Palace of Westminster and the Tower of London. You need the permit whether or not you are using a metal detector and irrespective of whether you are digging. Even “eyeballing” and “beachcombing” require the permit since “searching” is restricted if you have “an intention to find”.

There are two types of permit. The standard permit costs £96 for an adult, is valid for three years and allows you to dig to a maximum depth of 7.5 cm (~3 inches). You can also get this permit for £42 with a one month expiry, but it’s only valid for a single visit on any day within the month (from date of purchase).

The other type of permit (commonly known as a “Mudlark’s Permit”) allows you to dig to a maximum depth of 1.3 metres (~51 inches) in certain parts of the foreshore. To qualify, you need to have been a member of the Society of Thames Mudlarks for at least three years and able to demonstrate a history of reporting your finds to the museum authorities. The number of these permits is strictly limited and there is currently a waiting list for membership admissions.

You don't need to be a British citizen to apply for a permit but, the nature of the system is that a visitor would be unlikely to get a "Mudlark's Pemit". Also, if you are visiting from another country you need an export license to take archaeological items over 50 years old out of the UK (obtainable from the Arts Council). It would be fair to say that restrictions would be unlikely to be enforced for most casual finds. Also note that "finders keepers" for lost modern items of value does not apply in the UK if there is a prospect of finding the original owner (your obligation to avoid the possibility of being charged with "theft by finding".)

For both permit types, you have an obligation to report finds which might have archaeological significance (to the Finds Liaison Officer at the Museum of London). The legal requirement to report items covered by the “Treasure Act 1996” (within fourteen days of finding) and any consequent implications for ownership/reward apply in all cases.

Last edited:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know of a place people in the USA can get connected to someone that will take them detecting in England ? LIke a travel program ?

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know of a place people in the USA can get connected to someone that will take them detecting in England ? LIke a travel program ?

See the last paragraph in red at this link:

Tnet doesn't allow links to "competing" websites but, as I said, Google is your friend for finding UK websites devoted to metal detecting (there are several).

[Note also that there have been some minor changes to the permit situation since I originally posted the preceding information],

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I have a permit for some areas of the Thames Foreshore but other areas are for the Mudlarks only. They are trusted by the British Museum to dig deeper than the small scrap we can do. Its a closed shop & invite only.

Scroll to post number 11 to see a picture of me on the Thames;
and the strange way I found out about it....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread