Hookedondetecting
Full Member
- #1
Thread Owner
Question of the day- How did "it" get so deep? For you Deep Thinkers out there
I noticed that most everything I find on Grandma's Farm is 4" to 8" below the surface.
I've been there visiting for most of 60 years now.
Although Grandma has been gone for some time I remember she used Aluminum Pie Plates to feed the dogs.
Uncle Vin would chop them up with the lawn mower. No one picked them up.
So now 40-55 years later I am finding aluminum pie plates everywhere 4-8" below the lawn.
They ping like Quarters.
Question: How do these items get so deep below the sod? The place is on a hill so there is no rain water moving soil in to the area to cover the plates. Gravity could help but it is light aluminum.
I've been there visiting for most of 60 years now.
Although Grandma has been gone for some time I remember she used Aluminum Pie Plates to feed the dogs.
Uncle Vin would chop them up with the lawn mower. No one picked them up.
So now 40-55 years later I am finding aluminum pie plates everywhere 4-8" below the lawn.
They ping like Quarters.

Question: How do these items get so deep below the sod? The place is on a hill so there is no rain water moving soil in to the area to cover the plates. Gravity could help but it is light aluminum.
Last edited:
I don't have the answer, and I don't think anyone can really come up with an answer. Logically it's a combination of a lot of things, including animals, worms, weather, human activity, freezing, thawing, and the list goes on. To me it's remarkable how fast a ring gets below the grass roots in a park, but then if not found, tends to stay in that area of soil for years, even with mowed grass building up on top of he park lawn. Look at what they find in the Holy Land. Towns and foundations over centuries have been under feet of soil, with more building built on top over the many years. Then look at the redwood forest. Trees old at the birth of Christ are not being buried under anything. There seems to be no soil build up in a redwood grove, even though there is lush fern growth, and the redwoods shed needles all the time, but the depth of the duff seems to remain the same. It's all beyond me, I just know it happens.






